Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 106224 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #775 on: November 26, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
For those who watched on TV what did the pass coverage look like during the first 3 quarters when Thompson dropped back?

I couldn't tell from where I was sitting but it seemed like he was reluctant to pull the trigger.  Not sure if that was due to tight coverage or Skyler being overly cautious.

I thought he didn't have the poise early that he did late. I thought he had happy feet and didn't keep his head up. ISU was getting decent push but he wasn't buying himself any time before the play broke down.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: November 26, 2017, 10:39:58 AM »
We came out as conservative as I've seen in quite some time, probably mainly to protect Thompson. I think its clear we were hoping to just keep the game close until the 4th quarter. Granted, I think we thought we could get more push from the offensive line, but our 2 back delayed power got destroyed by ISU. We tried a few passes and the typical play action with 2 back, but we usually only had 2 WRs on the field so its tough to get anyone open. In the 4th we finally opened it up.

Of course, none of that explains the absolutely moronic 4th down run call to Thompson, but for the most part that's that the game plan looked like IMO.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: November 26, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »
Not the right thread probably, but did Valentine play yesterday?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #778 on: November 26, 2017, 10:42:58 AM »
Dana is reportedly being a lil bitch about developments internally.   That’s as big of a call out on coaching I have ever heard from Snyder in a negative light.

Reportedly Sean and Dana are at odds and Sean is openly questioning the play calling.

Sky is an up tempo player, not a slow roll read the sideline check with me QB. Our RB’s are upfield runners and defenses are maintaining gap discipline and contain, eliminating the “patient” runs.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: November 26, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »
Dana is reportedly being a lil bitch about developments internally.   That’s as big of a call out on coaching I have ever heard from Snyder in a negative light.

Reportedly Sean and Dana are at odds and Sean is openly questioning the play calling.

Sky is an up tempo player, not a slow roll read the sideline check with me QB. Our RB’s are upfield runners and defenses are maintaining gap discipline and contain, eliminating the “patient” runs.

FINALLY A SUCCESSFUL TWO MINUTE DRIVE

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: November 26, 2017, 10:52:11 AM »
For those who watched on TV what did the pass coverage look like during the first 3 quarters when Thompson dropped back?

I couldn't tell from where I was sitting but it seemed like he was reluctant to pull the trigger.  Not sure if that was due to tight coverage or Skyler being overly cautious.

I thought he didn't have the poise early that he did late. I thought he had happy feet and didn't keep his head up. ISU was getting decent push but he wasn't buying himself any time before the play broke down.

That was my initial assumption.

He admitted in the post game that he's not going to take any chances throwing the ball into tight coverage.  I think part of the reason he plays so well in the clutch is because he's forced to sling it and make plays.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 26, 2017, 10:53:10 AM »

FINALLY A SUCCESSFUL TWO MINUTE DRIVE

Yes!

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 26, 2017, 10:55:33 AM »

this is pleasing news. HIRE KLIFF

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 26, 2017, 11:01:41 AM »

1. He has a job
2. Gross, I hate that offense, I would never want that for us.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 26, 2017, 11:18:34 AM »

1. He has a job

Yes, that's not going to happen.

I will say that I do enjoy how ISU employs some HUNH and then at times will take their time with check with me. They only possess the ball 45 less seconds per game than we do. They do run about 8 more plays per game, but are 2nd to last to us in plays per game in the Big 12. To me it makes sense to add some HUNH because it puts a lot of pressure on defenses.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: November 27, 2017, 11:41:01 AM »

1. He has a job

Kliff just barely kept his job by beating a mediocre Texas team. That's not a sign of future success, considering Kliff has had time to show us who he really is. People were so high on him several years ago, did he turn down any other offers so he could stay and die in Lubbock?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 27, 2017, 02:27:06 PM »
the note that sean gave bill right after the game ended.  talking points for the presser?

Probably Bill's diagonal hand-written letter to Allen Lazard.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: November 27, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »
I think given our offensive makeup (solid stable of running backs, good line, talented quarterback, capable wide receivers), a pro style offense moving forward makes a lot of sense.

We don't need to employ the risky "run the qb 25+ times a game" strategy.  It's an unnecessary risk. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 27, 2017, 03:34:45 PM »

1. He has a job

Agreed, not a fan of Kliff's offense anyways.

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 27, 2017, 03:37:26 PM »

1. He has a job

Yes, that's not going to happen.

I will say that I do enjoy how ISU employs some HUNH and then at times will take their time with check with me. They only possess the ball 45 less seconds per game than we do. They do run about 8 more plays per game, but are 2nd to last to us in plays per game in the Big 12. To me it makes sense to add some HUNH because it puts a lot of pressure on defenses.

Just to make sure I understand this, HUNH - Hurry Up No Huddle?  If so, I'm okay with the HUNH depending on the situation, but I do agree that it should be implemented in our offense.

I don't have a problem with our offensive scheme, none at all.  It's a good fit.  The issue that I just have is how they utilize it, mainly using the QB as a battering ram.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 22, 2017, 11:40:39 PM »
Okay, so for posterity's sake, here's what just happened.

K-State is down 21-20 right at the end of the first half. We scored our previous TD with about 1:30 left in the half or so; kinda worrisome because they have shown a propensity to score fast. But NOPE! Our D comes up with its 4th turnover of the game with ~:45 left in the half! Holy crap, we're down one with nearly a minute and two timeouts left, and we have the ball at about our own 40 yard-line! What will we do??? Will we...A) Throw a few 8-10 yard outs, call time out, and kick a field goal right before half, B) play it safe and sit on it, content to take it to the lockerroom down one?  C) Do a weird hybrid where we simultaneously do both and neither, and end up with a dogshit result/?

If you said C, you are CORRECT!

Here's how it played out.

On 1st and 10 from our own 40, with 2TO left, we get sacked. Okay, fine, it happens. We should probably call one of our two timeouts so we can stop the clock, right? Nope, it seems since it's now 2nd and 14 from our own 36, we're just gonna let the clock run out. Okay, that works.

HEY WAIT, WE RAN ~25 SECONDS OFF THE CLOCK AND THEN DECIDED TO RUN A PLAY WITH LIKE 15 SECONDS LEFT? WHY???? Well, at least we're going to throw it downfield, right? Nope. Instead, we throw a.....screen pass?!? Oh and btw it got intercepted with 10 seconds left.

Ensuing play from scrimmage....10 seconds left, Will Grier eludes our laughable pass rush a la Bish vs. Ohio U., and then...well...a wide open WVU receiver catches it in the end zone.

Instead of us going up 23-21 or maybe even 27-21 right before half, our shitty, indecisive coaches, amidst a chorus of boos, led the team into the lockerroom down 28-20.

And we have to kickoff when we come out in the 3rd quarter.

Chip Kelly and the halftime crew were basically LOL'n at our shitty-ass coaches.

I just rewatched this sequence. Absolutely insane.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12