Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 356012 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
if you get a cow that flips its stupid ass upside down in the chute here is what you do:

build a new chute in the area next to the existing chute that can now never be used again because there is absolutely no way you're getting that thing flipped back over right side and it's just going to die and rot there.

Why not just butcher the cow in the chute and take it out in pieces?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I bet puni would #cowhack for free
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
if you get a cow that flips its stupid ass upside down in the chute here is what you do:

build a new chute in the area next to the existing chute that can now never be used again because there is absolutely no way you're getting that thing flipped back over right side and it's just going to die and rot there.

Why not just butcher the cow in the chute and take it out in pieces?
Tractor with loader and 2 log chains.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #1278 on: September 07, 2018, 10:55:14 AM »
Ag burn on farm.  Called in to notify township fire (aka Colby fire dept) of limb burn.

Needed this one so pile could be rebuilt.

Conditions:  damp, cool, minimal wind away from structures, no dry weeds around

Dad.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #1279 on: September 07, 2018, 10:56:19 AM »
New road compliments of the wind turbine company.  Value - $50,000.  Awesome unexpected benefit.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 07, 2018, 10:57:39 AM »
My tough project is alive !  A real fighter.  Need a name.  Will determine sex tomorrow.  Ate a whole little half n half coffee container, very full.  Wiped puss away from eyes then smear h n h on them and momma licks him off real good (farm trick).  Lil is running around chasing crickets and grass hoppers.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 14, 2018, 08:36:45 PM »
Taking next week off to go work at the farm.  Super pumped.

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 14, 2018, 10:57:48 PM »
New road compliments of the wind turbine company.  Value - $50,000.  Awesome unexpected benefit.

that road is not going to be a good time shortly. source: dirt road and dirt road ditch expert.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: September 17, 2018, 07:23:30 PM »
A nice sunset to start farm week.

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: September 18, 2018, 08:01:53 AM »
Tom, farms are the absolute best (1% of the time)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 18, 2018, 09:39:15 AM »
Tom, farms are the absolute best (1% of the time)

:ROFL:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 18, 2018, 10:08:27 AM »
hope Jon Currie doesn't see that pic

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: September 23, 2018, 11:06:32 AM »
Built a half mile (N-S) of new 5 strand barbed wire fence last week.  Using a Gator, Skid Steer loader, hydraulic post driver, cable fence stretcher.  It will probably last 50 years if no cattle run thru it or wires get cut.

Then I compare that to the 1880-1900  builders of the rock wall that runs for a half mile (E-W) over worse terrain than I dealt with I don't feel like my efforts are all that impressive.  They had dynamite,  hand tools, and probably a horse drawn wagon.  Most of that wall still very functional today.

Tom

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 23, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »
That rock wall looks great Tom.  Your fence pretty decent.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 23, 2018, 01:53:37 PM »
just be confident in the knowledge that you could crush that rock wall with your rock crusher
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: September 23, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »
Building fence is an incredibly satisfying thing to do. Like swathing a huge circle of alfalfa and then looking back at what you just accomplished. I mean, both rough ridin' suck complete crap but when you are done doing them you are satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 24, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »
Building fence is an incredibly satisfying thing to do. Like swathing a huge circle of alfalfa and then looking back at what you just accomplished. I mean, both rough ridin' suck complete crap but when you are done doing them you are satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly, except replace alfalfa swathing/fence building with assembling Ikea furniture.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 24, 2018, 10:37:05 AM »
That stone fence looks great Tom.  In the Alma metroplex they actually have workshops where a stonemason shows people how to build stone fences.  You pay $100 for the privilege of doing 2 days worth of backbreaking labor but you get a sandwich too.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 24, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »
are those rocks in the stone fence all locally sourced?  who owns the mineral rights there?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 24, 2018, 10:43:09 PM »
That stone fence looks great Tom.  In the Alma metroplex they actually have workshops where a stonemason shows people how to build stone fences.  You pay $100 for the privilege of doing 2 days worth of backbreaking labor but you get a sandwich too.
I've heard of this.   Ranches also have people from JoCo pay them for the privilege of helping burn pasture.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 24, 2018, 10:46:12 PM »
There are quarried areas in the pasture where that rock came from. Areas where the pit is 3-4 deep where rock was extracted near the surface.

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: November 27, 2018, 04:59:10 PM »
I paid someone I work with $20 to paint a picture of my Dad feeding the barn cats.

Best Bday present he got!

Also he hasn't been going out to the farm much lately because it's too cold but he did set up some automatic feeders in the barn to make sure the cats are well fed.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: November 28, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
amazing work of art, ben ji.  really depicts life on a running cat farm.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: November 28, 2018, 04:13:11 PM »
i am very interested in this giant cow.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."