Author Topic: Hopefully An Issue We Can Get Some Bi-Partisan Agreement On  (Read 46708 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Hopefully An Issue We Can Get Some Bi-Partisan Agreement On
« Reply #425 on: December 15, 2017, 09:36:53 PM »
Single provider entities in a community is about as free market as it gets

No sure if serious, but it absolutely is what free market gets you. It’s just that most folks aren’t actually comfortable with a completely free market society which is why we have anti-monopoly laws and used to have net neutrality.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 15, 2017, 09:38:57 PM »

No sure if serious, but it absolutely is what free market gets you. It’s just that most folks aren’t actually comfortable with a completely free market society which is why we have anti-monopoly laws and used to have net neutrality.

shut up asshat no one likes you
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

The Big Train

« Reply #427 on: December 15, 2017, 09:59:37 PM »
I’ll be fine guys.  Even tho I want everyone to be fine, it’s probably not gonna happen tho.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 15, 2017, 10:02:13 PM »

Oh.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #429 on: December 16, 2017, 08:52:11 AM »
Maybe FSD will grow out of his adolescent stage one day and bring more to the discussion than libtard and fucktard.  Highly doubtful considering he’s a giant dumbass but we can dream guys.

Fucktard
Libtard
Dumbass

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 16, 2017, 02:10:51 PM »

Not sure if sarcasm, but he's absolutely correct. It's akin to saying that repealing the Sherman Act is just a way of supporting free markets. And it has nothing to do with my feelings towards catastrophe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 18, 2017, 08:52:09 PM »
I don't think Ed understands how our government works

The Big Train

« Reply #433 on: December 18, 2017, 09:01:12 PM »
I'll still be fine guys but if this is true than pretty much everyone will be fine too.  This isn't gonna be a quick resolution.  Even if congress passes it there isn't an ISP on earth that would take advantage right away.  Would be business suicide.  So my point is everybody should figure out how to get around this just in case DOES actually happen, which it probably never will.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 03, 2018, 09:55:34 PM »
It seems almost inevitable.  Internet is a utility.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 04, 2018, 08:06:00 AM »
Ft. Collins is such an elite city.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 08, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »
http://thehill.com/policy/technology/367929-senate-bill-to-reverse-net-neutrality-repeal-wins-30th-co-sponsor-ensuring

It will be interesting to see how moderate Republicans and Republicans in blue and purple states vote on this.

The Big Train

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 25, 2018, 10:47:06 AM »
The giant Reese's mug at the end was a nice touch.

But I feel that I have to make the obvious counterpoint: fast food restaurants like Burger King are currently allowed to do what Burger King did in that commercial.  However, none of them do because it pisses people off.  You could easily make the same argument for ISPs in a free market.

My biggest issue with Net Neutrality is that if completely repealed the ISPs do not have to tell you what they are throttling and/or censoring, which can affect people and businesses without their even knowing it.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 25, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »

But I feel that I have to make the obvious counterpoint: fast food restaurants like Burger King are currently allowed to do what Burger King did in that commercial.  However, none of them do because it pisses people off.  You could easily make the same argument for ISPs in a free market.

My biggest issue with Net Neutrality is that if completely repealed the ISPs do not have to tell you what they are throttling and/or censoring, which can affect people and businesses without their even knowing it.

Burger King doesn't do that because people would just go to some other fast food restaurant to get cheap shitty food instead. A lot of people don't have many options for high speed internet.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 25, 2018, 11:40:27 AM »

Burger King doesn't do that because people would just go to some other fast food restaurant to get cheap shitty food instead. A lot of people don't have many options for high speed internet.

Exactly. One of many reasons not to do this dumbassery. IF certain things were more easily subject to true market forces, I would be ok with this, but certain things like healthcare, power, internet, etc. just have either too high of a barrier to entry to be practical or geographically you are pinned in, which leads to price gouging and other crap. It's very un-capitalistic.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 25, 2018, 10:17:33 PM »

So should the government add a crap ton of regulations so ISPs are regulated like water or electric companies, or should it remove regulations so that ISPs function like fast food restaurants?  I don't think there is a clear answer (I'm personally in favor of the former).  I cannot necessarily fault people who believe the second option is the better choice.  Repealing net neutrality is obviously a part of that policy.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 26, 2018, 08:17:58 AM »

So should the government add a crap ton of regulations so ISPs are regulated like water or electric companies, or should it remove regulations so that ISPs function like fast food restaurants?  I don't think there is a clear answer (I'm personally in favor of the former).  I cannot necessarily fault people who believe the second option is the better choice.  Repealing net neutrality is obviously a part of that policy.

ISPs will never function like fast food companies. They are a utility, with lines everywhere and everything.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 26, 2018, 09:47:24 AM »
I think cellular services should be considered utilities, too.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 26, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »
I mean, I'm totally with you on both counts, but if (really when) wireless companies like AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile etc. are able to enter the internet game, competition won't be as much of an issue for ISPs.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #448 on: February 15, 2018, 09:28:49 PM »
Can't read. Ever since free internet was repealed by the gop I can only access foxnews, paramount, and other right winged media outlets
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 16, 2018, 05:40:02 AM »
Fsd posts itt are the very best