Author Topic: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools  (Read 71925 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools
« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2015, 07:55:49 AM »
At least in ks

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2015, 09:12:25 AM »
If you think the concepts taught in common core are new, you were probably raised by wolves.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2015, 10:13:24 AM »
Common core is standards, not curriculum.  Districts choose which curriculum they want that will teach the standards. 

The math concepts are not new.  The curricula that we used in both KCK and Ottawa used the same type of constructivist methods to allow kids to develop a better number sense...so much better than the memorization that we used back in the day.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 24, 2015, 01:16:02 PM »
Common core is standards, not curriculum.  Districts choose which curriculum they want that will teach the standards. 

The math concepts are not new.  The curricula that we used in both KCK and Ottawa used the same type of constructivist methods to allow kids to develop a better number sense...so much better than the memorization that we used back in the day.

However the Asian nations are teaching math, that's how we should be teaching it. How do they teach it? These "constructivist" methods seem to make math more confusing - not easier.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2015, 01:34:58 PM »
You're just an idiot
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2015, 01:50:13 PM »
You're just an idiot

36 on the math portion of ACT and math scholly at KSU. So I'm pretty good at math.  :gocho:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 24, 2015, 01:51:09 PM »

However the Asian nations are teaching math, that's how we should be teaching it. How do they teach it? These "constructivist" methods seem to make math more confusing - not easier.

It feels more natural for Chinese speakers than for English speakers to use the "make-a-ten" addition and subtraction strategy taught to first-graders in many East Asian countries. When adding two numbers, students break down the numbers into parts, or addends, and regroup them into tens and ones. For instance, 9 plus 5 becomes 9 plus 1 plus 4. The make-a-ten method is a powerful tool for mastering more advanced multi-digit addition and subtraction problems , Dr. Fuson says.

Many U.S. teachers have increased instruction in the make-a-ten method, and the Common Core standards adopted by many states call for first-graders to use it to add and subtract.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-best-language-for-math-1410304008

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 24, 2015, 09:00:15 PM »
Common Core math is fantastic. it teaches theory and "why" instead of memorization which helps with more complex math being absorbed much easier later in school. It just looks silly to old people because they were taught on memorization and the problems are introductory

I for one am shocked to see lib come down on this side of blind support.

Nothing reinforces math more than "circle the 1's blue".

I do think the textbooks/worksheets were rushed and poorly edited. I've found typos or incorrect directions which is what the problem you're mentioning was. Luckily I am able to think critically and recognize the difference between a typo and a curriculum

Congrats on being able to do your first graders homework. She must be very proud.

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2015, 10:19:22 AM »
You know, maybe if more parents had a better understanding of math concepts and number sense, they wouldn't freak out when their first graders come home with "common core math".  The freak outs kind of prove the point that rote memorization methods from the past don't really teach mathematical reasoning. 

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2015, 01:20:27 PM »
I went to elementary school in the 80's and learned math using all these concepts without having to circle numbers blue, use my crayon as a ruler or complete disjointed and incoherent word problems.

I don't know what they mean by "straight memorization", but that is not something that's been taught in my lifetime.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »
We def did memorization.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »
Fsd is just too dumb to know it

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2015, 02:12:28 PM »
Fsd is just too dumb to know it

36 on my ACT! Must have memorized all the answers just like Nintendo b b a b a b b

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2015, 02:21:18 PM »
lol

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2015, 02:22:10 PM »
 :lol: at your  :lol:

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »
Hopefully the new common core ACT is harder to ace.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2015, 06:21:54 PM »
Teacher:  How do you intend to solve that math problem?

FSD:  Straight Memorization Homie!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2015, 09:20:31 PM »
I went to elementary school in the 80's and learned math using all these concepts without having to circle numbers blue, use my crayon as a ruler or complete disjointed and incoherent word problems.

I don't know what they mean by "straight memorization", but that is not something that's been taught in my lifetime.

Unless you are like 12 years old, I am pretty sure you used a lot of memorization in early math classes.  Multiplication tables, algorithms, etc.  You also obviously have a good number sense and were able to apply it to higher level math concepts.  A lot of kids struggle with it.  The way that they teach math now helps to develop that number sense at younger ages so that it can be built upon.

Now seriously, what is this "circle numbers blue" nonsense?  Grade level? 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2015, 07:41:49 AM »

Unless you are like 12 years old, I am pretty sure you used a lot of memorization in early math classes.  Multiplication tables, algorithms, etc.  You also obviously have a good number sense and were able to apply it to higher level math concepts.  A lot of kids struggle with it.  The way that they teach math now helps to develop that number sense at younger ages so that it can be built upon.

Now seriously, what is this "circle numbers blue" nonsense?  Grade level?

Yeah I think I did memorization back in the day. It worked for me. Again though, as long as we're copying the asian nations in good with it.

Interestingly, it seems like they now do more memorization of words for reading than we did, including speed reading drills with "lightening words." That makes sense.

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »
I know common core would have made me do better in calc 1 in high school, as well as derivatives and equity classes at ksu.  Luckily i used memorization, and aced the later two, but my understanding of why it worked was frustrating. though i was a bad student in jr.high and high school, I'm going to blame the system and not me.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 26, 2015, 12:54:27 PM »
I had a dream last night I was back in high school. I had already graduated college, but I went back to high school to finish some credits to get my diploma - I know none of this makes any sense but it was a dream. And I was freaking out because I had enrolled in 4 classes but I had only been going to two of them all year. The two I was skipping were "Advanced Calculus" (whatever that means) and some sort of foreign language. And so my plan was to cram just enough to pass the classes, but the books were in my locker and I couldn't remember my combination or even where my locker was. So then I went to the principal's office to ask whether I could drop those classes and still graduate. That's when the dream ended but I had a pretty bad feeling about what the principal was going to say.

Most of my nightmares are of the "logistical" variety and they are just the worst.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2015, 01:15:20 PM »
I had a dream last night I was back in high school. I had already graduated college, but I went back to high school to finish some credits to get my diploma - I know none of this makes any sense but it was a dream. And I was freaking out because I had enrolled in 4 classes but I had only been going to two of them all year. The two I was skipping were "Advanced Calculus" (whatever that means) and some sort of foreign language. And so my plan was to cram just enough to pass the classes, but the books were in my locker and I couldn't remember my combination or even where my locker was. So then I went to the principal's office to ask whether I could drop those classes and still graduate. That's when the dream ended but I had a pretty bad feeling about what the principal was going to say.

Most of my nightmares are of the "logistical" variety and they are just the worst.

I have weird dreams like that all the time. It's always college, though. That principal was going to drop the hammer on you, btw. Nobody gets to drop classes in high school. Hope you had a good time skipping class.

Offline illBisonYourdele

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 26, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »
I know common core would have made me do better in calc 1 in high school, as well as derivatives and equity classes at ksu.  Luckily i used memorization, and aced the later two, but my understanding of why it worked was frustrating. though i was a bad student in jr.high and high school, I'm going to blame the system and not me.

Olathe School System  :shakesfist:

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2015, 02:24:21 PM »

I have weird dreams like that all the time. It's always college, though. That principal was going to drop the hammer on you, btw. Nobody gets to drop classes in high school. Hope you had a good time skipping class.

I have had the I did not show up for a class all semester and OMG can I drop it or take an incomplete dream too.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2015, 03:37:40 PM »
yeah. it's pretty much always ksu campus and i had a mwf930 or something that i quit going to and i probably missed a test or two and now i can't remember exactly where the class was and who taught it and it's towards the end of the semster and i know i'm going to get an F or something.