Author Topic: Tesla  (Read 28748 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2016, 02:11:32 PM »
Dumb question, but those charging stations I occasionally see around town - those cost money to use, right?

they're free.  an incentive to buy EV.  in LA those spots are always full, in KC, they're always empty.  not for long though

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2016, 02:13:01 PM »
Tesla is the Apple of cars. Once the other auto markers catch up, which it sounds like quick a few already have, you'll just be paying for the cult name.

Hemmy nodded approvingly after reading this post and then went back to building his own car for half the price of the Tesla.

:lol:

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Cocaine is a helluva drug
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2016, 02:27:17 PM »
Also the Model S P85 D has 691 HP which is pretty cool

Yes.  It is rough ridin' awesome.

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
Ah, a long-lasting battery. What's preventing the other e-cars from having a battery like that?

They don't have Elon Musk to beat their engineers into designing an acceptable one?   :dunno:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »
Dumb question, but those charging stations I occasionally see around town - those cost money to use, right?

they're free.  an incentive to buy EV.  in LA those spots are always full, in KC, they're always empty.  not for long though

So it only costs money if I fill up at home? How's that compare to paying for gas?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2016, 02:45:58 PM »

So it only costs money if I fill up at home? How's that compare to paying for gas?

how much do you pay for a kWh?

$8.10 to fill up a Model S if you're paying .09 kWh

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 02:47:27 PM »
I pay 12 cents per kilowatt
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2016, 02:49:04 PM »

you'd pay $10.80 to fill up a model S which can go about 250 miles. I don't think there's data on the new model 3 though. should be more efficient since the S has like over a million HP.

The Big Train

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2016, 02:49:17 PM »
Doc brown probably pays a crap ton to fill up :sdeek:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2016, 02:50:16 PM »
They look cool as eff, and I love the idea of electric cars.

If I could get a used one for about half the price of new, and be fairly sure I could drive it regularly for a decade without persistent issues, then sign me up. 

Typically, I buy used Hondas and Acura's.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2016, 02:54:06 PM »
Model S:

"Fuel" efficiency and cost

To cover 15,243 miles, I used 5,074 kWh of electricity, for an average of 333 watt-hours per mile.  That's a bit better than the car's EPA-rated efficiency of  350 Wh/mi, and converts to precisely 3 miles per kWh.

I used about 1,275 kWh of free Supercharger power on three long road trips totaling about 4,000 miles. So about 3,800 kWh of the 5,074-kWh total came through my electric meter.At my local utility's rate of 14 cents/kWh, that works out to a total fuel cost for the year of  $530, or about 3.4 cents/mile. Contrast that to about $3,000 and 20 cents/mile for a comparable car like the Mercedes S Class.

But the Model S actually used  more electricity than the 5,074 kWh on the car's energy meter.

For one thing, the charging process is only about 85 percent efficient. Which means that  for every 85 kWh used by the car, 100 kWh came through my electric meter. In reality, that 5,074-kWh number is actually more like 5,700 kWh.

In addition, my car's "vampire" power draw while parked and shut down averaged about 4.5 kWh per day for the first 10 months, and then about 1 kWh per day after a software update two months ago. I estimate the vampire draw sucked up an additional 1,400 kWh or so.

That brings total actual energy usage for the year: about 7,100 kWh--putting efficiency at about 466 Wh/mile, or about 2.1 miles/kWh.

The vampire and charging losses bumped the year's real fuel cost up to  $820, or about 5.3 cents per mile. Which is still barely a quarter of the fuel cost of a comparable gasoline car.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2016, 03:00:39 PM »

you'd pay $10.80 to fill up a model S which can go about 250 miles. I don't think there's data on the new model 3 though. should be more efficient since the S has like over a million HP.

My current rig can get 30mpg and has a 12 gallon tank.  That's 360 miles @ 24$ ($2 a gallon) or 6.7 cents per mile.  The tesla would get like 4.3 cents per mile.  That's a savings of $360 per year if I drive 15,000 a year.  I probably mocat's that math though.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »
Dumb question, but those charging stations I occasionally see around town - those cost money to use, right? How does "filling up" a car with electricity compare to gas at $2 a gallon?

My AC units have heat pumps that I don't even use because the cost of heating my home with electric is so much more expensive than NG. But maybe gasoline is more expensive than electricity?

Not accounting for the different motor efficiencies, a gallon of gas has about 115 kBtus of energy, which is 33.4 kWh.  If efficiencies are similar, the electricity would be slightly pricier at this point, but it is comparable.  That said, the building I live in has like 8 charging stations which I believe are free if you live there.
:adios:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Tesla
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2016, 03:20:41 PM »
A 60 KWh battery for the Tesla model S is rated for 230 miles. So for about $6 you get 230 miles on the electric car.
:adios:

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »
The charging stations are supposed to be able to charge in a few minutes rather than overnight at your home.  Also as I understand it the charging stations are for cross country travel and not for daily charging.  I don't know what the consequences of abuse will be, Tesla will probably have to lock people out eventually.  In the mean time me and my squad of vigilante hackers are fully capable of modifying the parking sequence to jerk the wheel into a bridge abutment while the dirtbags are cruising down the highway at 80 mph.   
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2016, 03:44:16 PM »
long term, tesla is in the battery business, not the car biz

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2016, 04:01:16 PM »
My teslas like yessuh

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2016, 04:16:42 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I've got a hybrid now and love it. I'm hoping to get at least 4 more years out of it, but my next car will almost certainly be all electric. I appreciate you early adopters paying a higher price to be beta testers. Of course, by the time I buy I doubt that ridiculous tax credit will still be available (talk about a "tax cut for the rich"), and electricity will be more expensive.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2016, 05:53:53 PM »
I am jealous.  I want one.

I doubt I will be in a position to buy one for the next 15 years.  Once I get these rascals through college (hoping they decide on electrician or plumbing apprenticeship instead), then it's on. 

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2016, 05:54:55 PM »

I doubt I will be in a position to buy one for the next 15 years.  Once I get these rascals through college (hoping they decide on electrician or plumbing apprenticeship instead), then it's on. 

15 years from now no one will own a car. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »
Meh, I'll get solar installed and then get the model 3 once it actually comes out and gets put through the paces. 

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2016, 03:32:54 PM »

15 years from now no one will own a car.

Al Gore said we will all be dead by then anyway, so no need for an electric car.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2016, 08:14:37 AM »
Gas is just way too convenient for me to consider electric.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2016, 08:44:01 AM »

Filling up your tank so to speak at your house is easier than going to a gas station.  I don't think I understand what you mean.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2016, 09:02:26 AM »

That reminds me of when the first time the KC Tesla stealership came down to Wichita for test drives for a small group of us. They drove two Model S' (Ses'?, Sessess'?) and I asked "So you can make it to Wichita and back to KC on one charge and with the test drives?" "Well we probably could make it down here, but just to be safe we came through Topeka, you know since it's the same distance, and had lunch at Arby's while they got a boost charge. And then topped off here in Wichita before we came over this way. It's so convenient."   :blank:

The product itself is mind-blowingly awesome and fresh, but for the price and inconvenience of it being basically a second car, it's not worth it to me.