Author Topic: Taxes  (Read 41093 times)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Taxes
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2015, 09:05:40 AM »
I really need to file our taxes this weekend. I have everything entered, just need to double check and submit it.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »
Same for me Mrs. Gooch. Getting not much back but that's ok. I tried to set it up where I wasn't giving the feds a $2500 interest free loan anymore

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »

Same for me Mrs. Gooch. Getting not much back but that's ok. I tried to set it up where I wasn't giving the feds a $2500 interest free loan anymore
Very smart poster.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2015, 10:04:24 AM »
State income tax sounds like a pain.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »
I was all set to receive a whopping $2 back from Kansas, but when I found out they don't send out refunds for amounts less than $5 I went back into the system and donated that entire windfall to the Chickadee Checkoff.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2015, 10:54:18 AM »
I sent all of my tax stuff to my guy yesterday. Got home last night and I get a corrected 1099 in the mail.
That is just the worst.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 20, 2015, 11:03:57 AM »
I was all set to receive a whopping $2 back from Kansas, but when I found out they don't send out refunds for amounts less than $5 I went back into the system and donated that entire windfall to the Chickadee Checkoff.
Even direct deposit?  Is the inverse true?  Do they not collect funds less than a fiver?  Taxes are the biggest crock of crap that no gets as furious about as they should.

We're all getting "tax rebates" but we're basically just getting back money we'd been loaning the state/feds for free for the last year or so.  0% interest rates!  The inverse isn't true.  Try not paying any income tax until april 20th and see what happens.  Bullshit.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 20, 2015, 11:12:34 AM »
Even direct deposit?  Is the inverse true?  Do they not collect funds less than a fiver?  Taxes are the biggest crock of crap that no gets as furious about as they should.

We're all getting "tax rebates" but we're basically just getting back money we'd been loaning the state/feds for free for the last year or so.  0% interest rates!  The inverse isn't true.  Try not paying any income tax until april 20th and see what happens.  Bullshit.

Whoops I should have clarified, they don't just keep it and ignore the fact you're owed a small amount of money if it's less than $5 but the screen said they would apply it towards next year's taxes.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 20, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »

it still drives me crazy when people say this crap.  it's not the 70s anymore, you inflationmongers.  the interest you're forgoing on that loan is like 50 cents.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 20, 2015, 11:16:48 AM »

it still drives me crazy when people say this crap.  it's not the 70s anymore, you inflationmongers.  the interest you're forgoing on that loan is like 50 cents.

Yeah, but it makes you feel smarter than Uncle Sam.  What's that worth, hotshot?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 20, 2015, 11:17:48 AM »
Yeah, but it makes you feel smarter than Uncle Sam.  What's that worth, hotshot?

50 cents.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2015, 11:19:54 AM »

i'm with sys on this one (but not with sys on who does my taxes). if the govt used my money to make new roads and pay school teachers, and also kept me from using it on boulevard 80 acre 6-packs, what do i care? (answer: not at all)

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2015, 11:21:08 AM »

It's probably closer to $50.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2015, 11:27:31 AM »
$3.125  (0.25% for 1 year treasury * 2500/2).

almost exactly a cup of coffee for steve dave.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 20, 2015, 11:30:42 AM »
$3.125  (0.25% for 1 year treasury * 2500/2).

almost exactly a cup of coffee for steve dave.

My investments made a lot more than 0.25% last year.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2015, 11:31:13 AM »
I agree that the total amount is pretty laughable, though.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2015, 11:35:37 AM »

risk v risk free.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2015, 11:38:09 AM »

This has happened to me two years in a row. I've rolled it over both times so that I have a balance of $4 with the State of Kansas. Hoping for a kickback next year!  :crossfingers:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2015, 11:38:52 AM »
I'm just saying you wouldn't say to anyone "Hey, hold this $3k for me until April" with no benefit on your end. I'd rather just have my money upfront. I know I'm not gaining interest on it or whatever, I'd just rather have more during the year at this point. This is the first year I've done this fyi

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 20, 2015, 11:46:25 AM »

risk v risk free.

My checking account pays 2.26% interest on the average balance.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 20, 2015, 11:54:43 AM »
I put it off as long as possible. That way, I get a refund in like June and am like, "Hey, I can get another one of these in six months if I really want to." But instead of actually getting another refund six months later, I start the process all over again. What a rush.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2015, 11:59:12 AM »

risk v risk free.

My checking account pays 2.26% interest on the average balance.

what bank?  that's really high.

not a perfect comparison, though.  i have credit cards that pay me a ridiculous annualized rate to lend me money.  presumably they think they make money on the deal with the average customer somehow, but it has little to do with the true cost of money.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »
Must be a credit union

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2015, 12:03:21 PM »
i think i found it.  must be the only one in the country.  sounds like they expect to make money on the card transaction fees and give out a high % rate in return.  basically the same concept as the miles/points you get on cc spend.

https://www.gpcu.org/Accounts/Checking/Golden-Rewards-Checking-FAQ.aspx

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »
must be the only one in the country.

actually, it seems like there's quite a few with the same or similar schemes.