Author Topic: Huggins WTF  (Read 12268 times)

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Huggins WTF
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:45:29 AM »
http://www.themercury.com/K-StateSports/

1:24 of video of Frank post-Colorado.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Huggins WTF
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:47:17 AM »
hmm...im gonna have to sleep on this...
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Farley Grudge

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:49:51 AM »
I guess Frank forgot about Patz!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 07:47:11 AM »
Huggins has said that same thing a number of times.  Frank just has his back.  It's total BS.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 07:50:23 AM »
http://www.themercury.com/K-StateSports/

1:24 of video of Frank post-Colorado.

possible that huggins ended initial efforts to take the recruits when martin and hill were hired?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

catzacker

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 08:21:10 AM »
a shot at Calipari?

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 08:29:25 AM »
It should be. Calipari is a schiester. Probably smells like ralph lauren and scotch.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »
Huggins has said that same thing a number of times.  Frank just has his back.  It's total BS.

Yep.  It's best for both of them to be "allies" now.

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 10:38:48 AM »
I've never heard any rumblings that Bob tried to steal recruits from K-State... did I miss something? It would seem that there is still be quite a bit of respect between Bob and Frank.

I've always thought that Bill Walker gave Huggins everything he deserved in the locker room the day Huggs told the team he was leaving. I actually find myself rooting for WVU quite a bit these days. That said, if K-State ever meets up with them on the court, I hope we absolutely humiliate them. Weird of me to feel this way?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 10:46:16 AM »
I've never heard any rumblings that Bob tried to steal recruits from K-State... did I miss something? It would seem that there is still be quite a bit of respect between Bob and Frank.

I've always thought that Bill Walker gave Huggins everything he deserved in the locker room the day Huggs told the team he was leaving. I actually find myself rooting for WVU quite a bit these days. That said, if K-State ever meets up with them on the court, I hope we absolutely humiliate them. Weird of me to feel this way?

I tried to explain to Jeff one time how I could appreciate that Huggins brought us back from the basketball cellar while still having the utmost disdain for him.  They aren't mutually exclusive. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 11:30:41 AM »

I tried to explain to Jeff one time how I could appreciate that Huggins brought us back from the basketball cellar while still having the utmost disdain for him.  They aren't mutually exclusive. 

I'm with you.  I don't hate him, I appreciate what he started, and honestly think the WV job was the only one he would bolt for.  That said, I do hope he loses much more than he wins.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 11:37:36 AM »
I just don't want him to win a title.  Good god that would be terrible.  Like Prison Rape.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 11:48:18 AM »

I don't understand how anyone couldn't understand that.  Seems the most sane position an EMAWer could take IMO.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 12:10:08 PM »

I don't understand how anyone couldn't understand that.  Seems the most sane position an EMAWer could take IMO.

Could be that Jeff isn't a fan (pffftttt, allegedly)

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »

I tried to explain to Jeff one time how I could appreciate that Huggins brought us back from the basketball cellar while still having the utmost disdain for him.  They aren't mutually exclusive.  

I don't understand how anyone couldn't understand that.  Seems the most sane position an EMAWer could take IMO.

Jeff and I got into it more than once on the same subject.  I remember about losing my mind at the Scotch one night on this issue.

For an EMAW, hating Huggins while being happy that he got a DUI and eventually landed here which led to Frank and our eliteness is clearly the correct position.  But I can understand that somebody who hasn't seen the EMAW bullets fly would just say, "what?  You sucked.  Huggs happened.  Now you're top 10.  Love him."  :dunno:

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 12:33:09 PM »
Huggins Wanted Staff, Recruits With Him at West Virginia
By: Curtis Kitchen, Sports Radio 810 Staff

(April 10, 2007) – Bob Huggins, it turns out, thought what he had working at Kansas State was so good he wanted to take it with him to West Virginia.

On Monday, new Kansas State associate head coach Dalonte Hill told Sports Radio 810 WHB’s Kevin Kietzman that Huggins extended the offer to join him in Morgantown to “every one of us,” in reference to the coaching staff.

Huggins’ contact didn’t stop with the coaches according to one Kansas State signee’s mother.

“I don’t know the exact content,” said Fatima Smith, the mother of Michael Beasley. “I don’t know exactly when the contact happened, but yeah, we talked. We discussed (Huggins’) decision and things like that.

“I guess (making contact) was the right thing to do for Bob since he was a big part of the recruiting process. Michael sent him on with his well wishes.”

According to the Collegiate Commissioners Association, which administers the Letter of Intent program for the NCAA (but leaves daily administrative duties to the Southeastern Conference), if Huggins did simply make a courtesy call to Beasley’s family notifying them of his decision to leave, he technically did nothing illegal as long as there was no attempt to recruit Beasley.

"All colleges and universities that participate in the NLI (national letter of intent) program agree to not recruit a prospective student-athlete once he/she signs an NLI with another college or university,” the CCA’s Web site said. “Therefore, a prospective student-athlete who signs an NLI should no longer receive recruiting contacts and calls."

Fellow K-State signee Dominique Sutton told the Manhattan Mercury last week that calls made from multiple schools to Beasley began almost immediately after Huggins’ departure, and they weren’t just wishing the pair K-State success.

“(Beasley) said there are three schools we could fit in — he talked to them already, N.C. State, USC, and Florida State. And that's just the first day. I'm sure others will call."

During a television interview a few days after Sutton’s comments, Beasley said he remained committed to Kansas State, but seemingly left the door slightly open to the possibility that he would suit up for another school next season, only putting the commitment at “70 percent.”

His mother, who said she is looking forward to a summer move to Manhattan after her younger children finish the current school year, said not to worry.

“Michael’s really witty with his words,” Smith said on Monday. “Keep asking him something over and over again, and he’ll change his answer, just to keep things in an uproar.

“He’s a prankster. He entertains people. He keeps people talking. Why he does it, I don’t know, because it’s a headache to me, but he just entertains.”

Beasley’s unofficial continued recruitment, however, is not a source of entertainment for K-State Athletic Director Tim Weiser, who has stood fast in his stance of making players honor their signed letter of intent and said doing so is “protecting our investment.”

It is believed that Weiser is exploring filing a grievance with the NCAA against one or more schools for their actions.

Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Analyst Jerry Meyer said what has transpired with Beasley and Sutton is merely a regular part of the dirty recruiting game.

“It’s an assumption, but yes, Huggins tried to take at least some of those guys with him,” said Meyer, who spent last weekend covering an AAU tournament in Arkansas. “There was talk there about other coaches who were contacting those kids trying to get them.

“I think, in this business, it’s just understood that’s what is going to happen,” Meyer said. “There is the letter of the law, the spirit of the law and then a whole lot of gray. Recruiting takes place in the gray.

“People who follow recruiting and have been involved with it just understand that things like that happen. It doesn’t surprise me, and I hardly bat an eyelash to it. That’s just sort of the way it works.”

Huggins’ and others’ attempts apparently didn’t work, however. Since K-State announced last Friday that Frank Martin would become the new head coach, all four members of the Rivals.com top-ranked recruiting class (Beasley, Sutton, point guard Jacob Pullen and shooting guard Fred Brown) have stated they will honor their commitment.

“Kansas State was going to do whatever it took to keep that No. 1 recruiting class intact,” Meyer said. “So, my money was on what happened. Frank Martin would get the job in order to retain Dalonte Hill. He’s the key piece to this whole puzzle.

“Wherever he went, that’s where Beasley was going to go, and more than likely Dominique Sutton.”

Perhaps a bit larger surprise came Monday as it was revealed that strength-and-conditioning coach Scott Greenawalt, a Huggins hire whose work paid immediate dividends for Wildcats such as David Hoskins and Cartier Martin, will remain at K-State.

That announcement means it appears the only ones to make the move to West Virginia will be assistant Erik Martin, a former Cincinnati Bearcat player under Huggins, and K-State intern Josh Eilert, who will take over as Director of Basketball Operations.

Like it or loathe it, send your comments to: [email protected]

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »
possible that huggins ended initial efforts to take the recruits when martin and hill were hired?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 12:39:34 PM »

You can tell that when he said, "Hiring Frank was the only way to keep the recruits" or something to that effect.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 12:43:19 PM »
I just don't want him to win a title.  Good god that would be terrible.  Like Prison Rape.

Can't fathom what ku fans go through every time Roy wins a title.

Offline billyzabka

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »

That announcement means it appears the only ones to make the move to West Virginia will be assistant Erik Martin, a former Cincinnati Bearcat player under Huggins, and K-State intern Josh Eilert, who will take over as Director of Basketball Operations.

Biggest WTF from this entire scenario might be Eilert going from a banker in BFE Kansas to a glorified manager on Wooly's staff to a member of a HOF coach's staff (on a top ten team) in the span of two years.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 01:11:46 PM »

You can tell that when he said, "Hiring Frank was the only way to keep the recruits" or something to that effect.

so, then it's entirely logical for martin to be appreciative of huggins not trying to take the recruits.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »

Can't fathom what ku fans go through every time Roy wins a title.

I accidentally called Allen Fieldhouse, "Williams Arena" yesterday, and it looked as though they wanted to bite my head off. It was an honest mistake because Williams Arena in Minnesota is very old and crappy as well. Glad to know I accidentally pissed off KU fans amidst our defeat.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 01:19:16 PM »

so, then it's entirely logical for martin to be appreciative of huggins not trying to take the recruits.

Under your premise, Huggins not only bolted after a year but made himself our hiring committee.  The appreciate/hate Huggs mindset still applies.  Just because it worked out doesn't give Huggins a pass for making KSU his bitch.  He didn't do it because he loves KSU.  He did it to help one of his boys.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 01:21:48 PM »
Under your premise, Huggins not only bolted after a year but made himself our hiring committee.  The appreciate/hate Huggs mindset still applies.  Just because it worked out doesn't give Huggins a pass for making KSU his bitch.  He didn't do it because he loves KSU.  He did it to help one of his boys.

yeah, not saying it is necessarily logical for kstate fans to be appreciative.  just that it is logical for martin (and i guess hill).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
who gives  a crap?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.