Author Topic: Wow! What a season by oscar!  (Read 11278 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Wow! What a season by oscar!
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »
Ty!

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 01:58:16 PM »
WSU sucked pretty hard then and only them hiring Turgeon made it interesting - they maybe were one or two rungs up from UMKC on the give a crap meter

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »
Freshman year at municipal we got thumped by them by 40 with some shaq'esque player that faided away as the season moved forward. Now we wanna fire a guy for making the tourney 4 out of 6 seasons. What a time to be alive.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 03:19:23 PM »
WSU sucked pretty hard then and only them hiring Turgeon made it interesting - they maybe were one or two rungs up from UMKC on the give a crap meter

The last time we played in 03-04 we beat them for the second year in a row. They were in the midst of 3 straight nit appearances led by strut n' cutter favorite, Jamar Howard.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »
both programs were in such vastly different places 15 years ago, wsu especially.  with where they've developed their program to now, kstate should be happy to schedule home & homes with them.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Hubbs

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 04:06:21 PM »
Freshman year at municipal we got thumped by them by 40 with some shaq'esque player that faided away as the season moved forward. Now we wanna fire a guy for making the tourney 4 out of 6 seasons. What a time to be alive.

Your premise is that making the field of 68 is, in and of itself, an accomplishment. Interesting. Meanwhile, the school down the road has accomplished this 28 consecutive times. Twenty-eight. But for small-timey K-State it really is such a big deal. Seems like it should be more of an expectation than something to be thrilled about, but you do you. Your past experience when you were a freshman is obviously causing bias. This is like my grandpa saying, "I had to walk four miles to school each way when I was a kid," and now grandpa refuses to get rid of his shitty 1988 Oldsmobile because he can't get that awful walk out of his head. Of course K-State isn't as awful as when they lost to UMKC. Pinch hitting a .100 hitter for .200 hitter is an upgrade, but odds are that he's still going to strike out--just as oscar has failed to make the round of 32, not only at K-State, but dating back to 2006. Just a large and conclusive sample size. But hey, at least he's made it to the party 66% of the time in an era in which it has never been easier. It comes down to your standard. Wacky's standard is making the tournament 66% of the time and not losing to UMKC by 40. I am both appalled and envious that enjoyment can come from this.

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 05:47:42 PM »
You guys do realize we will be like a 10 seed right?

You realize Oscar has not won a round of 64 game yet right?

So if we lose round 1, that still acceptable for you in year 6?

Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »

We made this acceptable the moment we hired oscar. Nothing he's done to date should be a surprise to anyone.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2018, 08:16:06 PM »
I had no idea. Obviously a different situation now, did Wooly play them in his first two years? I was pretty busy drinking during those games at school.

When Wooly was here we had a 3 (in Manhattan) for 2 (in Wichita) deal in place. I think that deal was made under Asbury though.

Definitely played wichita state in the very early 2000's. Pretty sure they even beat us once.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2018, 09:57:28 PM »

We made this acceptable the moment we hired oscar. Nothing he's done to date should be a surprise to anyone.

It will be acceptable to literally no one if oscar doesn't get out of the first round, and I can't believe you actually responded to PIPE's illiterate ass.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2018, 10:14:22 PM »

It will be acceptable to literally no one if oscar doesn't get out of the first round, and I can't believe you actually responded to PIPE's illiterate ass.
No way in hell will firing oscar be considered this year. His seat isn't even lukewarm.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2018, 10:23:27 PM »
We lost to them back to back in 01 and 02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2018, 12:51:04 AM »

No way in hell will firing oscar be considered this year. His seat isn't even lukewarm.

You're correct, but these things can both be true. He has two years to win a first round game, this wouldn't be the case if his previous tournament record was acceptable.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »

You're correct, but these things can both be true. He has two years to win a first round game, this wouldn't be the case if his previous tournament record was acceptable.

oscar doesn't ever have to make it to the round of 32 to continue being an employee at KSU. I mean, just read Gene Taylor's comments from the other day. If oscar fields bubble teams the majority of the time and doesn't cheat, he'll be here until he doesn't want to be here anymore.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2018, 10:07:32 AM »
Additional note: I hope like hell you're correct. I would SO love for their to be an actual standard of performance for oscar.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2018, 10:10:24 AM »
Dear Anti-oscar Rage Contingent,

Literally everyone except you is aware that the AD gave oscar a complete mulligan by allowing him to blow up the Foster team and start over.  You might as well treat 2015-2016 as year 1b of oscar.  Your acknowledgment of reality would be appreciated.

K, thx
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2018, 10:11:06 AM »
We’ve been the 4th best program in the conference since his arrival.  It’s not exactly fireable. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 10:20:12 AM »
We’ve been the 4th best program in the conference since his arrival.  It’s not exactly fireable.

Valid point.  The only real hangup for him has been the lack of tournament success.  Throw in a few tournament wins and there really isn't a lot to complain about other than his weirdness.

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »

Valid point.  The only real hangup for him has been the lack of tournament success.  Throw in a few tournament wins and there really isn't a lot to complain about other than his weirdness.
As long as he wins at a level I am satisfied with, having a wierd coach is cool. He's getting closer to doing that.  Make a little run in the tourney this year and I'll laugh like hell at other teams fans that think he is wierd.
KU fans liked Huckleberry Hound til he left. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2018, 10:38:44 AM »
Gentleman, the quest for a Thur/Fri NCAA tourney win begins today, and it's not something to be taken lightly.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2018, 12:19:29 PM »
my guess is oscar is gonna get a new contract this summer or next that really does keep him here until he retires - hopefully it is this summer because there isn't another Wade out there to save his terrible recruiting and development of bigs and we can get the clock moving forward.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2018, 01:45:37 PM »

oscar doesn't ever have to make it to the round of 32 to continue being an employee at KSU. I mean, just read Gene Taylor's comments from the other day. If oscar fields bubble teams the majority of the time and doesn't cheat, he'll be here until he doesn't want to be here anymore.

You're reading that because that's what you want to read, that's definitely not what was said.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »

Historically, if an AD heaps praise on a coach, it has somewhere between none and absolutely no bearing on how secure that coach's job is

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2018, 07:49:42 PM »

I don't think you can say him failing to win a tournament game is unacceptable yet also say he won't be fired if he fails to win a tournament game. I mean you can possibly say it's unacceptable to not win an NCAA tourney game 7 years in a row, but failing to win NCAA tournament games anywhere from 1-6 years is absolutely acceptable at Kansas State University.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2018, 09:29:43 PM »

I don't think you can say him failing to win a tournament game is unacceptable yet also say he won't be fired if he fails to win a tournament game. I mean you can possibly say it's unacceptable to not win an NCAA tourney game 7 years in a row, but failing to win NCAA tournament games anywhere from 1-6 years is absolutely acceptable at Kansas State University.

I didn't say failing to win A tournament game is unacceptable, in his situation not getting out of the first round in 6 years is and if he doesn't, he should and will feel more heat. Of course this is completely situational. Going to 4 tournaments in 6 years with just a first four win gets you a extension at Nebraska or Texas Tech, that gets you fired at Indiana or Xavier.

The reason why this season isn't a tipping point is that he's getting all these guys back, if he has a similar season next year then you'd have hard evidence that this is what oscar is. Gene may be okay with oscar but the fans won't be. He'll lose a lot of people like myself, who currently supports the program.