Author Topic: Sunflower Showdown  (Read 17551 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sunflower Showdown
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »
I thought it should have been targeting because he led with the top of his helmet.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2016, 10:10:22 AM »
It was forceable contact above the shoulder with the crown of the helmet, whether he was defenseless or not is irrelevant. That hit violated 9-1-3 and 9-1-4. The defenseless player element only comes into play when not using the crown of the helmet; i.e. a shoulder to the head of a wide receiver catching a ball on a slant. You can make a pretty compelling argument that Elijah Lee violated 2-27-14 more than once against Baylor.

That crew we had on Saturday was really bad. I thought so while at the game and that was confirmed when I watched on television later. That 15 yard sideline violation they called against KU was one of the five worst calls I've seen this year.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2016, 10:13:37 AM »
I think you're right MIR. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
I don't remember whether he hit him with the crown or not.

if he did, it would be a 913 violation.  to be a 914 violation the player must be defenseless -- barnes was not defenseless.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2016, 10:17:25 AM »
That 15 yard sideline violation they called against KU was one of the five worst calls I've seen this year.

What happened there? I haven't seen the replay.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2016, 10:27:22 AM »
That 15 yard sideline violation they called against KU was one of the five worst calls I've seen this year.

I don't recall them showing anything on TV, but I just assumed the ref made contact with a KU coach while running down the sideline. That's an automatic 15 even if it seems innocuous.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2016, 10:28:30 AM »

I don't recall them showing anything on TV, but I just assumed the ref made contact with a KU coach while running down the sideline. That's an automatic 15 even if it seems innocuous.

Yes, any contact is automatic at all levels now. It happened in the Denver-KC game last night too.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2016, 10:29:08 AM »
Watching Beatty go off was pretty amazing.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2016, 10:35:03 AM »
I was actually surprised Barnes played at all after that helmet to helmet hit. Looked like a concussion to me.
Watching Barnes lay on the field after that hit, I felt like a bad person for enjoying football and buying tickets which help propagate the sport. I hope he is okay.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2016, 10:48:20 AM »
I was actually surprised Barnes played at all after that helmet to helmet hit. Looked like a concussion to me.
Watching Barnes lay on the field after that hit, I felt like a bad person for enjoying football and buying tickets which help propagate the sport. I hope he is okay.

his family should sue our school for however much money our school has for our dumbass coaches trotting him back out there. and then he falls to the ground holding his head later. he's completely rough ridin' spaghetti brained and it was obvious.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »

if he did, it would be a 913 violation.  to be a 914 violation the player must be defenseless -- barnes was not defenseless.

He hit him with the crown, television didn't show the replay well but they did at the game, multiple times, even showed a freeze frame. Sidenote, don't know who is running the video replays at the stadium but I am shocked that they haven't gotten a strongly worded letter from the conference this year. I can think of several instances where the video replay person has used video to openly contradict bad calls, sometimes in a pretty in your face manner. I think it is great but it is a departure from what we've done in the past and even what you see in pro sports venues.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2016, 12:20:12 PM »

Yes, any contact is automatic at all levels now. It happened in the Denver-KC game last night too.

The television replay wasn't 100% conclusive but the coach he made contact with looked to me to not be on the white, if he was it was like his toes. What the television replay does show, you have to look for it yourself, is that the official that threw the flag was waaaayyyy out of bounds at one point and was definitely inside the white. I have no idea why that official was so far out of bounds, he clearly lost his way while running away from the receiver and DB.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2016, 12:21:10 PM »

He hit him with the crown, television didn't show the replay well but they did at the game, multiple times, even showed a freeze frame. Sidenote, don't know who is running the video replays at the stadium but I am shocked that they haven't gotten a strongly worded letter from the conference this year. I can think of several instances where the video replay person has used video to openly contradict bad calls, sometimes in a pretty in your face manner. I think it is great but it is a departure from what we've done in the past and even what you see in pro sports venues.

Yeah, whoever is doing that was fantastic this year and I'm surprised it continued all season.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »

Yeah, whoever is doing that was fantastic this year and I'm surprised it continued all season.

yep. that person is a person that I'd want to hang out with. they have to be like "oh well that was a super crappy call. watch how riled up I can make every person in the stadium by showing it over and over and slow mo on repeat." it's great.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2016, 12:57:58 PM »

yep. that person is a person that I'd want to hang out with. they have to be like "oh well that was a super crappy call. watch how riled up I can make every person in the stadium by showing it over and over and slow mo on repeat." it's great.

Def great, enjoyed it immensely
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla