Author Topic: Suburban Dallas / TCU trip reports.  (Read 17008 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: Suburban Dallas / TCU trip reports.
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 12:53:33 AM »
good lord that half time show

Who knew we'd get to see a classic battle between the death star and enterprise?

:barf:

i was literally  :sdeek:'ing throughout the "show"

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 01:21:21 AM »
Walked out of the stadium throwing up  :weirdrobert: .  Never done that before but when it's true, got to do it.

Had a #1 team in the land style hangover this AM.  Finally got over it about middle of Oklahoma.  Rough drive back.

I'm assuming you're a current student so I'm gonna give you some friendly advice:  Always drive the first leg of a roadtrip.  I don't care if you have to drive nonstop to freakin' Padre, do it.  It's waaayyy better than having to drive back all hungover.

Always good advice but unavoidable this time. 

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »
On a scale of Wichita State to Iowa State, how mid-majory is the entire game experience?

some aspects were very legit. the stadium is pretty damn nice, great dance team. pre-game video/entrance was cool.

the band was as small timey as it gets in d1 football. the half time show was an embarrassment. they showed a music video and then had the dude perform the song directly after. granted it was for a great cause, but it was just weird.

Being able to buy a beer 100' from the stadium gates was legit.  Made me all pissed off again at our idiotic old liquor laws.

Offline JohnCurrie is Weird/Gross

• Combo-Fan
  • Miss You Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 08:07:38 AM »
Hung out in the super pud bar district pre-game, a lot of TCU fans were enthusiastically cheering for Alabama, pretty weird. Was wearing my #LIFE shirt, enjoyed explaining it to people. My and my bro snuck in a couple pints of whiskey, made a pretty ugly game more enjoyable. The stadium was very impressive, pretty much seemed brand new.

Minor dust up at the end of the game between TCU fans sitting in front of us (old rich man with 25 year old probable 3rd wife). During a commerical break they introduced some former TCU'ers now in the NFL, I yelled "Suit 'em up and lets make this thing interesting". Guy in front of my went up and got the cops to try and get them to kick me out. He told them I was using profanity through out the game (not at all true). The cop embarrassingly came down and everyone around us (nearly all TCU fans) defended me and told the cops we did nothing wrong. They guy then said we weren't sitting in our own seats (we were) and made us show our tickets. The cop told us to enjoy the game and they guy left with the cops still complaining all the way up the stairs. Said LHC Bill Snyder would be ashamed of us. Pretty astonishing level of butthurt. Left the game and headed to Frankies, made it about 15 minutes before nearly passing out at the bar. Ft. Worth is a pretty weird place but it was a great trip.

Offline catsdo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 08:59:41 AM »
"Private school 'till I die!"

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 09:29:07 AM »
Hung out in the super pud bar district pre-game, a lot of TCU fans were enthusiastically cheering for Alabama, pretty weird. Was wearing my #LIFE shirt, enjoyed explaining it to people. My and my bro snuck in a couple pints of whiskey, made a pretty ugly game more enjoyable. The stadium was very impressive, pretty much seemed brand new.

Minor dust up at the end of the game between TCU fans sitting in front of us (old rich man with 25 year old probable 3rd wife). During a commerical break they introduced some former TCU'ers now in the NFL, I yelled "Suit 'em up and lets make this thing interesting". Guy in front of my went up and got the cops to try and get them to kick me out. He told them I was using profanity through out the game (not at all true). The cop embarrassingly came down and everyone around us (nearly all TCU fans) defended me and told the cops we did nothing wrong. They guy then said we weren't sitting in our own seats (we were) and made us show our tickets. The cop told us to enjoy the game and they guy left with the cops still complaining all the way up the stairs. Said LHC Bill Snyder would be ashamed of us. Pretty astonishing level of butthurt. Left the game and headed to Frankies, made it about 15 minutes before nearly passing out at the bar. Ft. Worth is a pretty weird place but it was a great trip.

There's a post on the second page of this http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=163537 that might just reference this...  hahahaha

:emawkid:
bears are fast...

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 10:14:48 AM »
Every encounter I had with a TCU fan was great. By the end of the game I started to feel bad that my son was still referring to them as the Mustangs even though I instructed him to do so.

Multiple TCUers came by our tailgate to tell us they were glad to have us. We offered up our ribs to most everyone who came by. I will definitely go everytime KSU plays in Ft Worth.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »
my son was still referring to them as the Mustangs even though I instructed him to do so.

your kid is getting quality real-life trolling training

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 10:22:14 AM »
Just outside the stadium they had a truck selling beer inside a little area (50'x50') roped off with an single entrance/exit.  If you bought beer from the truck, you had to stay inside that area, but they had some tall tables setup so it was nice.  They also had a large screen showing other games just outside that area.  I was standing at a table right next to that entrance/exit watching the Stanford/Oregon St and Bama/A&M games.  Every 15 seconds someone in KSU gear would start to walk out with their beer, some making it 5'-10' out.  Every time a cop would stop them and say "Sorry, but you have to stay inside the area with your beer."  The KSU person would respond "sorry, I didn't know" and walk back in.  Every time this happend the cop would respond "It's OK, no problem.  Welcome to TCU and I hope you enjoy the game."  It was amazing to see their cops treat people with respect.  It was the exact opposite of KSU/RC PD walking around the stadium treating everyone like crap because they are nothing but a giant inconvience.   
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »
Just outside the stadium they had a truck selling beer inside a little area (50'x50') roped off with an single entrance/exit.  If you bought beer from the truck, you had to stay inside that area, but they had some tall tables setup so it was nice.  They also had a large screen showing other games just outside that area.  I was standing at a table right next to that entrance/exit watching the Stanford/Oregon St and Bama/A&M games.  Every 15 seconds someone in KSU gear would start to walk out with their beer, some making it 5'-10' out.  Every time a cop would stop them and say "Sorry, but you have to stay inside the area with your beer."  The KSU person would respond "sorry, I didn't know" and walk back in.  Every time this happend the cop would respond "It's OK, no problem.  Welcome to TCU and I hope you enjoy the game."  It was amazing to see their cops treat people with respect.  It was the exact opposite of KSU/RC PD walking around the stadium treating everyone like crap because they are nothing but a giant inconvience.   

didn't realize it was that simple. i walked by that area and figured it was some invite-only organized tailgate thing.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 11:33:59 AM »

didn't realize it was that simple. i walked by that area and figured it was some invite-only organized tailgate thing.

We didn't know until some southern belle got on the mic and announced it. 

PICS!!!

Satellite campus was nice...I believe this was to be the new home of a Bed, Bath, and Beyond

'Merica (from inside the beer selling pen)

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »

Minor dust up at the end of the game between TCU fans sitting in front of us (old rich man with 25 year old probable 3rd wife). During a commerical break they introduced some former TCU'ers now in the NFL, I yelled "Suit 'em up and lets make this thing interesting". Guy in front of my went up and got the cops to try and get them to kick me out. He told them I was using profanity through out the game (not at all true). The cop embarrassingly came down and everyone around us (nearly all TCU fans) defended me and told the cops we did nothing wrong. They guy then said we weren't sitting in our own seats (we were) and made us show our tickets. The cop told us to enjoy the game and they guy left with the cops still complaining all the way up the stairs. Said LHC LHC Bill Snyder would be ashamed of us. Pretty astonishing level of butthurt. Left the game and headed to Frankies, made it about 15 minutes before nearly passing out at the bar. Ft. Worth is a pretty weird place but it was a great trip.

Pretty sure I said hi to you towards the end of the game in the stands.  I was pretty drunk so can you verify that for me?
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »
Threw up a combofan sign before the game to a guy in a goEMAW shirt with a backwards purple hat.

Did not received the exuberant or even mildly excited response I'd hoped for.   :frown:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 11:54:44 AM »
Who was throwing up the  :combofan: at the top of 226 down at the people entering Gate 6?  I looked up and someone was doing it, but I was getting out tickets/money for others.  After I got done, I threw it up towards the top but the person was gone.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »
my son was still referring to them as the Mustangs even though I instructed him to do so.

Yeah, you are doing him a favor in the long run.

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
TCU stadium looks pretty nice. Didn't have many problems during the game, outside a middle aged dude whispering "welcome to Ft. Worth"(lol) in a buddy's ear after Klein's interception. Fans behind us were pretty pissed at Patterson in the 2nd half, claiming he just wanted his alma mater to win. Pretty great.

Fans were creepily nice afterwards as well. Got a wet handshake from an older TCU fan coming out of the bathroom(seriously, wtf) wishing KSU would win the Championship.

Ft. Worth is kinda of weird. enjoyed it overall though. Cab drivers drove like bosses.
Billy Bob's is a joke. Cattlemen's steak was OK. Stockyard's was meh, Frankies was legit, Fox and the Hound was good. Mexican Hooters was entertaining.

Random Weird Robert sighting at a gas station in Norman, OK. Had his foam finger on while driving.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:48:43 PM by WillieWatanabe »
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 04:41:55 PM »
Had his foam finger on while driving.

:horrorsurprise:

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2012, 04:44:46 PM »

I hope Robert was wearing more than just that.   :sdeek:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2012, 04:46:06 PM »

Yes, that is fantastic

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2012, 04:49:29 PM »
Stayed the night with an A&M grad so we had all sorts of fun.  :dance:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 04:51:22 PM »

I hope Robert was wearing more than just that.   :sdeek:
Strategically placed  :sadpeek:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »
Threw up a combofan sign before the game to a guy in a goEMAW shirt with a backwards purple hat.

Did not received the exuberant or even mildly excited response I'd hoped for.   :frown:

Who was throwing up the  :combofan: at the top of 226 down at the people entering Gate 6?  I looked up and someone was doing it, but I was getting out tickets/money for others.  After I got done, I threw it up towards the top but the person was gone.

Wow.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 05:21:25 PM »

Wow.

Why "wow"?  I was not in a goEMAW shirt nor a backwards purple hat.  Also, the guy at the top of 226 was doing it like crazy at everyone below him for awhile while I walking up to the crowded gate.  Two different stories.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »
Not your post, but the back to back posts seeming to answer one another was hilarious.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2012, 10:44:39 PM »
The parking situation made KU's clustereff seem not so bad. Saw some folks charging $50  :sdeek: to park in their driveway. Laughed at them. Parked 150 feet farther away fo free.

TCU tailgate next to us was grilling a ribeye that lookedl ike a pot roast. Sliced it up and handed it out to anyone within shouting distance. It was delicious. Couldn't say thanks enough. Had a sat-TV set up so we could watch A&M vs. 'Bama. Half and half cheering for Bama and A&M. Kinda strange...but some said they had A&M "allegiances".

TCU's halftime show was insufferable...as was the voice of the young trollop they handed the microphone to at every gametime pause to introduce some sort of award winner. I plugged my ears and huddle with my flask of scotch to drown it out...both figuratively and literally.  The concourse is beautiful and the brickwork is well planned. No stats or scores on any of the digital boards. Only down and distance, time, timeouts. Very lame. When we're done with our renovations..LHC LHC LHC Bill Snyder Family Stadium will outclass TCU's dink stadium with no problems.

TCU's team is better than we made them look on both sides including their junk touchdown drive when we didnt' care. TCU's D made us look average but we played incredibly bad and still were never in doubt of losing, even without +1 in the turnover category. Very unlike KSU.

Frankie's before/after the game was a great time....taken over by EMAW as we always do. Beers and scotch go down smoother when you're #1. Some idiot tried to argue that we wouldn't be BCS #1. That was snuffed out in a hurry.....Bartenders seemed irritated at how hard they had to work on what should have been a pud afternoon/evening. The kind of afternoon if TCU had been hosting Texas or TTech lame-os. But we tip.

Saw Robert.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:48:23 PM by Bookcat »