Author Topic: we are an immoral nation and i'm too comfortable and apathetic to do anything ab  (Read 106283 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
It’s ok to quit defending this now. Trump kinda quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not defending.

Yeah he’s just replying to non-Trump supporters from sun up to sun down for days to let everyone know there is some hypocrisy here. How could you even conclude anything else Steve Dave?
Yeah, why would such a person want to prove such a thing, when the left goes ballistic with every move that’s existed back to when they were in control. Stop this silliness! They’re just woke now.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I’m not aware that the US process asylum applications from folks not on US soil. And the visa laws typically require you to either be a student or employed. Of course either of those could be fixed if you wanted fewer illegal border crossings but really most Republicans right now just seem to want fewer brown people.

i googled the issue after bubbles posted, because i didn't know the answer and didn't wish to choose to remain ignorant.  a foreign national can apply for refugee status on foreign soil or seek asylum in us territory.  other than the different names, the status is about the same (and very annoyingly, if you're trying to google it, often used interchangeably).

the us sets a cap on how many refugees they allow into the country each year, and they do so by region.  by treaty, they must provide an asylum hearing to any asylum seeker.  the cap for refugees from central america was 4-5k/year during the last few years of obama and 2017, for 2018, trump's administration reduced that to 1.5k.  in 2015, obama's administration instituted a program to try and shunt minors (and later, also some family members of minors) into a program to provide expedited processing of refugee status rather than have those minors show up on the border seeking asylum.  this didn't increase the number of refugees, it was just supposed to prioritize minors that met the criteria and expedite their processing.  at any rate it didn't work terribly well but was chewing through most of the refugee slots by the end of 2016.  trump ended the program in 2017.

so basically, that's (probably, mostly) why people don't apply for refugee status at us embassies instead of making what by all accounts is a brutal and dangerous trip across central america and mexico to show up and petition for asylum at the border.  there is far more demand than there are slots available.

oh, and if you're wondering why they're choosing to seek asylum in the us, when we obviously hate them, rest assured most people fleeing honduras, guatemala and el salvador are choosing to seek asylum elsewhere.  there's just a lot of them leaving.

Good research thanks sys

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Not defending.

Yeah he’s just replying to non-Trump supporters from sun up to sun down for days to let everyone know there is some hypocrisy here. How could you even conclude anything else Steve Dave?
Yeah, why would such a person want to prove such a thing, when the left goes ballistic with every move that’s existed back to when they were in control. Stop this silliness! They’re just woke now.

Wacky, children were not separated from their parents when illegally crossing the border under Obama.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Not defending.

Wacky, children were not separated from their parents when illegally crossing the border under Obama.

Illegally?  Geez dude, it’s like you don’t even understand what Geo RePatriation was and what the ramifications were. 

Lots of razor wire on those cages in 2014.  Not a peep from LibBots.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
I’m not aware that the US process asylum applications from folks not on US soil. And the visa laws typically require you to either be a student or employed. Of course either of those could be fixed if you wanted fewer illegal border crossings but really most Republicans right now just seem to want fewer brown people.

i googled the issue after bubbles posted, because i didn't know the answer and didn't wish to choose to remain ignorant.  a foreign national can apply for refugee status on foreign soil or seek asylum in us territory.  other than the different names, the status is about the same (and very annoyingly, if you're trying to google it, often used interchangeably).

the us sets a cap on how many refugees they allow into the country each year, and they do so by region.  by treaty, they must provide an asylum hearing to any asylum seeker.  the cap for refugees from central america was 4-5k/year during the last few years of obama and 2017, for 2018, trump's administration reduced that to 1.5k.  in 2015, obama's administration instituted a program to try and shunt minors (and later, also some family members of minors) into a program to provide expedited processing of refugee status rather than have those minors show up on the border seeking asylum.  this didn't increase the number of refugees, it was just supposed to prioritize minors that met the criteria and expedite their processing.  at any rate it didn't work terribly well but was chewing through most of the refugee slots by the end of 2016.  trump ended the program in 2017.

so basically, that's (probably, mostly) why people don't apply for refugee status at us embassies instead of making what by all accounts is a brutal and dangerous trip across central america and mexico to show up and petition for asylum at the border.  there is far more demand than there are slots available.

oh, and if you're wondering why they're choosing to seek asylum in the us, when we obviously hate them, rest assured most people fleeing honduras, guatemala and el salvador are choosing to seek asylum elsewhere.  there's just a lot of them leaving.

T-Y.  This should be revamped so that at minimum, at least the same number of people who currently succeed in getting here outside of the official process can do so as part of an official process.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Big old belly laugh.  The crying little girl on the cover of Time, the face of the rage of separating families,  is a bogus manufactured lie of open border leftist.   The mother left her husband and 3 other older children in Honduras, paid a coyote  $6000, and her husband has a good job.  According to the husband, mom had to put the girl down to be patted down by the border agents and the kid cried; something you see all of the time in WalMartz.  The kid and mom were never separated.  The mom is seeking asylum.  On what grounds?  Husband has a job.  She though her 3 older kids would be fine in Honduras.  Fake news.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Hubbie says things are okay but "not great" back in Honduras.

Just remembering the Obama administration stealthily supporting the 2009 military coup in Honduras. 

But root cause is inconsequential to the LibBot.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Thanks. Now I'm in a Facebook argument with someone about whether or not you can seek asylum from outside the U.S.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick

Not defending.

:lol:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Thanks. Now I'm in a Facebook argument with someone about whether or not you can seek asylum from outside the U.S.

From my understanding, the main distinction with asylum is it is based on the idea that if you make it on US soil, you get to stay if you satisfy the criteria (i.e., no quotas or discretion from the executive or legislature, it’s really just a judicial determination). There is a milder version called withholding of removal (I think part of the Convention Against Torture), which says even if you are otherwise in the US illegally they can’t deport you back to your country if you’re probably gonna die (high level paraphrasing here).

So if you’re really fearful for your life and family in your current country, your best bet is to just make it across the US border. Of course the catch is that asylum laws are complicated and damn near impossible to successfully navigate if you’re not an attorney or are not assisted by one of the organizations who provide help in this area.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What's the general concept behind requiring that somebody come from an asylum situation in order to be allowed to come/stay?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What's the general concept behind requiring that somebody come from an asylum situation in order to be allowed to come/stay?

The primary reason is because we have determined we cannot send them BACK into an asylum situation and it is easier (and let's be honest, economically beneficial) to let them stay here instead of trying to find another country that will take them.  I think the secondary reason is that the grounds for asylum tend to be rooted in American ideals.  To be granted asylum you have to have been persecuted by a government (or major group that the government is unable or unwilling to control) based on things like your religion or political opinion.  That's a little more targeted than an refugee who might be fleeing any kind of crappy condition that isn't rooted in discrimination.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So the latest (literal) poster child for the latest fake LibBot meltdown.  Is the child of a mother who woke up one day and decided she didn't like it in her home country anymore and so she grabbed the youngest kid (said poster child of the latest fake LibBot meltdown), $6 large and headed North.  Hired a human smuggler and got busted on the border . . . leaving her husband (a gainfully employed gent apparently) and her other two children back in the home country.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
yeah F that kid

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
yeah F that kid

Kid is with mom.  But shitty take as always, Dug.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"Tacky" is one word for that.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So the latest (literal) poster child for the latest fake LibBot meltdown.  Is the child of a mother who woke up one day and decided she didn't like it in her home country anymore and so she grabbed the youngest kid (said poster child of the latest fake LibBot meltdown), $6 large and headed North.  Hired a human smuggler and got busted on the border . . . leaving her husband (a gainfully employed gent apparently) and her other two children back in the home country.

So in this example, why is it that america doesn't want the lady and kid to be able to move here and join society?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

So in this example, why is it that america doesn't want the lady and kid to be able to move here and join society?

Did she ask for Asylum? 

If so, what persecution was she attempting to escape from?   If you attempt to cross the border illegally and hire a human smuggler to help you, and you're caught, there should no ramifications?   

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Did she ask for Asylum? 

If so, what persecution was she attempting to escape from?   If you attempt to cross the border illegally and hire a human smuggler to help you, and you're caught, there should no ramifications?   

I'm asking historically why america cares what persecution she was attempting to escape from and/or why she had to cross the border illegally vs. being able to go through a simple process of registering as a new american with no reason other than wanting to be an american?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile

Did she ask for Asylum? 

I'm asking historically why america cares what persecution she was attempting to escape from and/or why she had to cross the border illegally vs. being able to go through a simple process of registering as a new american with no reason other than wanting to be an american?

because she's brown, dude.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
what would happen to a woman and child with US citizenship that attempted to cross into Canada?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best