Author Topic: Found this on grantland  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Chonchito

• Fan
    • View Profile
Found this on grantland
« on: March 29, 2014, 06:43:43 AM »
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/digging-in-the-tournament-crates-xavier-kansas-state-the-sweet-16-dream2014

The most exciting college bball game I've ever seen. And yes I'm being completely biased. Me and 3 buddies were in OKC for the first and second round games. What a run. Wish I still had the CBS Tournament Confidential on DVR.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline SPE_khat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Found this on grantland
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 08:11:24 AM »
definitely an instant classic and my #1 game of all time too  :emawkid: 

great to see it gettin the love it deserves :cool:

Offline CatMission

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Found this on grantland
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 10:01:44 AM »
Not going to lie...got a little misty-eyed just reading that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 10:49:34 AM »
Damn, that team was loaded.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »
Good times. Our backcourt that year was ridiculous.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »
Simmons did a podcast with Gus a couple years ago after Gus did a run of 4 straight NFL games that went to the wire, topped off with the Jags beating the Texans on a Hail Mary.  Bill asked Gus if that was him at DEFCON 1.  Gus just laughed, immediately said the best game he's ever called was KSU-Xavier and that's the only time he's hit that level.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Rock Lobster

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/digging-in-the-tournament-crates-xavier-kansas-state-the-sweet-16-dream2014

The most exciting college bball game I've ever seen. And yes I'm being completely biased. Me and 3 buddies were in OKC for the first and second round games. What a run. Wish I still had the CBS Tournament Confidential on DVR.

Don't fret. HouCat's a boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dndg9dCaQiY

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 12:48:14 PM »
That effing Merriewether foul.

Be honest with yourself. oscar will never have us at this level. And don't give me "but last year's team blah blah blah". They lost to effing LaSalle and oscar kept a timeout in his pocket.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:51:34 PM by Cleveland »

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »

Be honest with yourself. oscar will never have us at this level. And don't give me "but last year's team blah blah blah". They lost to effing LaSalle and oscar kept a timeout in his pocket.

We have a chance to be really good the next 2 years.   

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 01:03:22 PM »

It amazes me how much people don't see the ceiling of mediocrity being built right in front of our eyes. I'm not saying we won't win more than we'll lose and won't find ourselves in the Dance. We're just not going to have a dynamic, physical, attacking squad; we're not going to be tenacious, which is what we need to be to have a chance at a title (look at Florida this year, they're a great example).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »
cried a little.  those were such good times.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Chonchito

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 07:24:54 PM »

Don't fret. HouCat's a boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dndg9dCaQiY

Yes he is! Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 07:34:57 PM »

cried a little.  those were such good times.

The memories can't be taken away, but now we can reallocate what we all once invested into K-State basketball into other aspects of our lives.  Let the bridges you burn light the way.  One door closes, another opens.  All that stuff.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »
No different than the clear leveling off and likely permanent fixture in 4th or 5th place in conference and first weekend exits we were headed to under Frank.  Frank never faced any team even remotely as talented as Kentucky in the first game of the tourney.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 08:02:22 PM »
#poorbruce

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »

It amazes me how much people don't see the ceiling of mediocrity being built right in front of our eyes. I'm not saying we won't win more than we'll lose and won't find ourselves in the Dance. We're just not going to have a dynamic, physical, attacking squad; we're not going to be tenacious, which is what we need to be to have a chance at a title (look at Florida this year, they're a great example).

It amazes me that people can't see the potential for the future teams.  Lots to be optimistic about. 

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 11:15:21 AM »

It amazes me that people can't see the potential for the future teams.  Lots to be optimistic about.

Ignoring what we we're building...yes, I should be optimistic. It's just hard to forget what could've been. But hey, maybe oscar will surprise me and I can come back and admit how I was the delusional one. I really want that to happen.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 11:28:22 AM »
Frank had one year past the second round.  He had that squad one year and it was special, but to pretend like that was the norm is just ridiculous.  With Foster as a frosh and the potential around him, this is not the time to bitch at oscar.

I will say that I agree the titletown team was not nearly as fun as the Elite 8 team, but titletowning all real sports might've been

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 01:59:14 PM »
Bitching about oscar is laying the ground work. Some has to do it. And it's not going to happen gopowertuck,com

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 03:30:02 PM »
That team had it all. Geez.

Offline Chonchito

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 10:29:48 PM »
Two gunners, a textbook swing, two big bodies and the Big XII 6th man of the year... man that was special