Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3982174 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26750 on: October 02, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »
I have a hard time believing that 11am kickoffs hurt the economy. Fans tend to stick around and party all afternoon if the team wins.

The bigger issue is OU has lost several home games the past 4 years, including 3 last year.

What's the longest commute you've ever taken to an 11AM game at BSFS? If your home is 2 hours away and you have to leave home at 8am for an 11am kickoff, the last thing you want to do is hang out in Aggieville before driving home.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26751 on: October 02, 2015, 06:37:15 PM »
I have a hard time believing that 11am kickoffs hurt the economy. Fans tend to stick around and party all afternoon if the team wins.

The bigger issue is OU has lost several home games the past 4 years, including 3 last year.

What's the longest commute you've ever taken to an 11AM game at BSFS? If your home is 2 hours away and you have to leave home at 8am for an 11am kickoff, the last thing you want to do is hang out in Aggieville before driving home.
You're right. Restaurants are usually empty after 11am games...

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26752 on: October 02, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »

2:30pm is the best time.  Always has been, always will be.  Night games are fun for really big games, but the 2:30 time slot is perfect.  3:00 is very close behind.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26753 on: October 02, 2015, 11:07:45 PM »

Exactly. Just win like you're supposed to and everything fixes itself.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26754 on: October 02, 2015, 11:14:41 PM »
OU is getting the early slot because they have a ton of fans and people will watch them in that slot and get better ratings. That won't be solved by them winning more games.  They're right to bitch about it and will probably get their way.
emaw

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26755 on: October 03, 2015, 01:31:30 AM »

You're right. Restaurants are usually empty after 11am games...

Jesus christ

The Big Train

« Reply #26756 on: October 03, 2015, 01:40:08 AM »
I'd be willing to bet that towniecat has never been to an away game.

also that even if he went to an away game in Lawrence, that he actually indeed came back to MHK immediately after the 11AM game.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26757 on: October 03, 2015, 09:19:27 AM »
OU is getting the early slot because they have a ton of fans and people will watch them in that slot and get better ratings. That won't be solved by them winning more games.  They're right to bitch about it and will probably get their way.

So a couple years ago they bitched about too many night games. Since then, they've been scheduled for a bunch of early games, and now they're bitching about that. Should we just go ahead and pencil OU into the 2:30 slot every week? Or will they bitch about that as well?

Is the problem really the timeslot? Or is the problem more related to the fact that Texas is the only other premiere team in the league and they never travel to Norman, so OU fans never get to see bluebloods come to their stadium? (Topped off by the indignity of actually losing to some non-bluebloods at home.)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26758 on: October 14, 2015, 09:57:40 AM »
I'm just going to leave this here because it's something.

http://m.chron.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/Fertitta-UH-getting-into-Big-12-not-a-dead-deal-6569169.php?cmpid=twitter-mobile

The University of Houston has a top-25 ranked football team for the first time in four years and Houston billionaire Tilman Fertitta still wants to see the Cougars in the Big 12.

"We belong playing Texas and TCU and Baylor," Fertitta, who chairs UH's board of regents, told the Chronicle's editorial board Tuesday afternoon. "That's who we belong playing."

Fertitta in February said the Legislature should pressure the presidents of the Big 12 schools to "step up" and let the University of Houston into the conference.

The Big 12 is currently made up of just 10 universities, including the University of Texas at Austin, Texas Tech, Baylor and Texas Christian University. The commissioner of the conference said in December it's unlikely for that to change.

But that hasn't kept Fertitta from pushing for it. On Tuesday, he said that "things are happening out there behind the scenes."

"It's not a dead issue," he said.

How confident is the billionaire restaurateur, amusement park operator and gambling mogul?

"I think there's a better than 50 percent chance in the next 24 to 36 months that the University of Houston is in a major conference," Fertitta said.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #26759 on: October 14, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »
Houston literally adds nothing to the Big 12.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26760 on: October 14, 2015, 10:05:43 AM »
Houston literally adds nothing to the Big 12.

I don't want to get into that debate again, but the article just states what we know, and that's the fact that UH is doing everything they can to exert political pressure within the Texas legislature to get an invite should we look to expand.

If the Big 12 gets into the playoff this year, either through TCU or Baylor, the whole point may be moot.  But Houston is going to go down swinging.

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26761 on: October 14, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »
JC, if we add another TX school, might as well change the name of our conference to "the state of texas with a few out liars" or something Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) like that :sdeek:
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26762 on: October 14, 2015, 11:59:14 AM »

2:30pm is the best time.  Always has been, always will be.  Night games are fun for really big games, but the 2:30 time slot is perfect.  3:00 is very close behind.

remember when Ron would schedule non-TV games at 2:30 so it would be like they were on TV? :love:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26763 on: October 14, 2015, 12:05:53 PM »
JC, if we add another TX school, might as well change the name of our conference to "the state of texas with a few out liars" or something Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) like that :sdeek:

I always knew PIPE was a fanning sock.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26764 on: October 14, 2015, 12:09:10 PM »

remember when Ron would schedule non-TV games at 2:30 so it would be like they were on TV? :love:

It was great!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #26765 on: October 14, 2015, 12:10:52 PM »
ron was a marketing master.  one look at the '06 spring game extravaganza ft. the Goo Goo Dolls told you all you needed to know about that.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26766 on: October 14, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »
ron was a marketing master.  one look at the '06 spring game extravaganza ft. the Goo Goo Dolls told you all you needed to know about that.

Remember when he revamped the website? There was video of all the coaches talking! Even the fat white guy from Oklahoma!

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26767 on: October 14, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »

Remember when he revamped the website? There was video of all the coaches talking! Even the fat white guy from Oklahoma!

Everything was new and shiny.

I felt like an East German when the Berlin Wall fell.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26768 on: October 14, 2015, 04:11:28 PM »
Part of the reason the old SWC fell apart was because  the Texas legislature was able to exert pressure on the whole conference.  If we're already in a position where that is the case, we might as well get the band fired up because this ship is sinking.
  I honestly think the fact that Houston is in Texas hurts their chances of getting in the Big 12.  The more Texas schools in the conference the more real the possibility that all of the other conference schools could be beholden to an out of legislature.  The fact that a Texas school is already jockeying the state legislature just to get in the conference should be a bold warning sign to anyone considering adding more Texas schools.  The state of Texas has shown no qualms against using force to push an agenda on their own state universities and I think we're actually doing them a favor by keeping the Texas schools from holding a majority of the membership. 
  In short, adding more Texas schools would be a terrible idea.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26769 on: October 14, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »
adding any school with Houston in its name would be a bad idea.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26770 on: October 14, 2015, 04:31:31 PM »
sorry Sam Houston that means you too

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #26771 on: October 14, 2015, 04:47:48 PM »

inside.kstatesports.com was really ahead of its time. it was just about the raddest thing i'd ever seen.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26772 on: October 14, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »

inside.kstatesports.com was really ahead of its time. it was just about the raddest thing i'd ever seen.

yes. Ron did a few things very, very well. I've thought about it, and I think that if people had been more patient with him he wouldn't have panicked with that juco-heavy class and would have been in decent shape by 2010 or so. I mean he recruited a first round draft pick and Heisman finalist as QB's while he was here!

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26773 on: October 14, 2015, 04:53:59 PM »

yes. Ron did a few things very, very well. I've thought about it, and I think that if people had been more patient with him he wouldn't have panicked with that juco-heavy class and would have been in decent shape by 2010 or so. I mean he recruited a first round draft pick and Heisman finalist as QB's while he was here!

Prince made a great hire with Raheem Morris. He just failed to keep him around for more than one season and hired Tim Tibesar. You have to have good assistants to be successful. That means you have to be someone that good assistants want to work for.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26774 on: October 14, 2015, 04:59:38 PM »
Our defensive drop off after Morris left was very noticeable. Ron would have had at least another year if he just managed to beat KU once.