Author Topic: 8manpicks OFFICIAL list of top bands from the 90's  (Read 9444 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: 8manpicks OFFICIAL list of top bands from the 90's
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »
that same uncle also bought me KERPLUNK! by green day the same christmas.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Matt Siebrant's Left Hand

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2013, 10:14:43 PM »
Solid choice putting 3EB so high on the list.

True Story: I listened to Slow Motion on repeat for about an hour my freshman year of college while I wallowed in my own depression before I had to leave for a court date (for a non-sexual crime!). Not sure if I told you that IRL, but it's true. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2013, 10:50:26 PM »
also, pretty good list, but any 90's list without the urge as #1 is complete dogshit.  sorry 8mp.

Preach. Steve Ewing was one of the best lead vocalists of the era.  Great voice.  Great music.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »
Edit:  If this is just 8mp's list of fave 90s bands then I'm cool with it.  Different stroke and all.

Not a single mention of Tool in a thread about 90s bands is basically asinine.  I'm not really a huge fan of the group, but if we are talking, and this is something that 8mp specifically mentioned, about listenability over the course of a full album Tool has to be up there. 

Undertow and Aenema were both critically acclaimed albums and the fact that Aenema could rise to No. 2 on the charts despite not being Top-40 friendly speaks volumes on its own.  Uniquely smooth drum patterns, top-notch vocals and rhythmic yet heavy guitars and bass. 

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:17:03 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2013, 11:17:05 PM »
Lateralus is my favorite album of all time.  Well top 5 at least.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2013, 11:17:53 PM »
Lateralus is my favorite album of all time.  Well top 5 at least.

Not 90s

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2013, 11:34:33 PM »
Edit:  If this is just 8mp's list of fave 90s bands then I'm cool with it.  Different stroke and all.

Not a single mention of Tool in a thread about 90s bands is basically asinine.  I'm not really a huge fan of the group, but if we are talking, and this is something that 8mp specifically mentioned, about listenability over the course of a full album Tool has to be up there. 

Undertow and Aenema were both critically acclaimed albums and the fact that Aenema could rise to No. 2 on the charts despite not being Top-40 friendly speaks volumes on its own.  Uniquely smooth drum patterns, top-notch vocals and rhythmic yet heavy guitars and bass.

that is a pretty good point.  I like tool, don't love them, but you have to respect the level of talent there.
emaw

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
Danny Carey (drummer) always wears a squawk jersey when they play in KC  :frown:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2013, 12:27:55 AM »
Danny Carey (drummer) always wears a squawk jersey when they play in KC  :frown:

yes, very sad.  super talented drummer tho
emaw

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2013, 12:47:15 AM »
also, pretty good list, but any 90's list without the urge as #1 is complete dogshit.  sorry 8mp.

Preach. Steve Ewing was one of the best lead vocalists of the era.  Great voice.  Great music.

had absolutely no idea they were still playing and would have bet money they weren't, but here you go. only put this link cause it was sandstone. obviously there are better ones out there and nothing like they were back in the day, but man. saw them twice in aggieville.  :cyclist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjFg5SFLChU

also,

"Ewing is currently the owner/operator of Steve's Sausages, located within the limits of Scott AFB, IL, as well as Steve's Hot Dogs on the Hill, in St. Louis, MO."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Ewing
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:50:44 AM by rick daris »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2013, 01:05:49 AM »
only in dreams is far and away weezer's best song.  fantastic choice there.
yeah thats not even up for debate

Only in Dreams is one of the greatest songs of all-time. But if possible, Across the Sea gives it a run for its money too. Just two heavyweights duking it out. Only in Dreams probably comes out on top, but after the ref declares a winner they both hug and the crowd goes wild.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2013, 02:26:41 AM »
Two bands not mentioned that would def. be in a Nicname top ten.

Ween
Blind Melon

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »
Every time I listen to Ween I'm like, "Hey SB. Listen to Ween more." And then I don't ever remember to. :frown:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12