Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4684206 times)

Online kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #28475 on: October 18, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »
canary, you are universally hated on this board

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28476 on: October 18, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »
does anyone even come close to having as terrible of a first 140 posts?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28477 on: October 18, 2014, 07:52:28 PM »
Who are you again?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #28478 on: October 18, 2014, 07:53:02 PM »
Who are you again?

Make that 142, seven.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28479 on: October 18, 2014, 07:54:22 PM »
Anyway. How about them Royals?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28480 on: October 18, 2014, 08:41:08 PM »
Ned continually has said he likes having Duffy in the bullpen so he has another "power arm" available. He also talks about the experience of Gut and Varg.

yeah, he has said that, but it's obviously ridiculous and not credible.  they haven't pitched arguably their best pitcher over the course of the year just a single inning in the post season because they like having a security blanket in the bullpen.  the reason he has hardly played is because he's broken.  they've been pretty honest about that actually, it just hasn't gotten much coverage.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28481 on: October 18, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »
He will get used in the WS though, no question about it

:dubious:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28482 on: October 18, 2014, 08:44:58 PM »
Sys I heard a radio person speculate that they have a inning count on Duffy that may have already been reached.  Like basically the year following a Tommy John surgery you can pitch X amount of times before you break.  What do you make of that theory?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #28483 on: October 18, 2014, 08:47:14 PM »
Sys I heard a radio person speculate that they have a inning count on Duffy that may have already been reached.  Like basically the year following a Tommy John surgery you can pitch X amount of times before you break.  What do you make of that theory?

@The Big Train

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28484 on: October 18, 2014, 08:51:07 PM »

it's completely wrong.

this isn't some secret.  it's been reported in the press.  his mechanics were way off when he came back the shoulder injury.  they don't trust him to throw strikes out of the windup.  until that is fixed, he is unlikely to pitch in an important situation.

i guess maybe they could bring him in an important situation with runners on.  but probably only if finnegan was already used and hdh weren't lined up to go.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28485 on: October 18, 2014, 08:51:52 PM »
Just so you are aware how stupid your statement is Canary, Greg Holland this year had a 1.44 ERA and a .914 WHIP, 13K per nine innings, and 4.5 K/BB.

Jeff Montgomery, Dan Quisenberry, and Joakim Soria (the 3 best closers in Royals history before Holland) never had a season close to that. In fact, any of those numbers I listed would be career highs for the other 3. Greg Holland is the best closer this team has ever had, and he is significantly more automatic than the other 3 were. He gave up 1 run in 8 IP in the playoffs. He was TREMENDOUS against the Angels and Orioles, pitching ever game. Wade Davis's magnificent season doesn't diminish Holland's greatness at all.

Now please stop posting in this thread.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28486 on: October 18, 2014, 08:52:47 PM »

it's completely wrong.

this isn't some secret.  it's been reported in the press.  his mechanics were way off when he came back the shoulder injury.  they don't trust him to throw strikes out of the windup.  until that is fixed, he is unlikely to pitch in an important situation.

i guess maybe they could bring him in an important situation with runners on.  but probably only if finnegan was already used and hdh weren't lined up to go.

10th inning game 1 in Anaheim felt pretty important.....

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28487 on: October 18, 2014, 08:56:21 PM »

I think they are being very cautious and this is a big part of it. Strasburging him without Strasburging him almost.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28488 on: October 18, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
I mean, I can't really think of a situation besides when they brought in Frasor in the Wild Card game where Duffy would've made more sense. All of our starters have done great, and the pen has had guys go more than 1 inning when needed.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28489 on: October 18, 2014, 09:00:35 PM »

they used herrera, finnegan, collins, davis and frasor first.  the only reason they put him in was because yost is fanatical about keeping holland for the save.  there was no one else left to use.  and i bet if you go back and look at video you'll see that he was pitching out of the stretch with nobody on base.

he's thrown one inning in the post season, cf3.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28490 on: October 18, 2014, 09:02:40 PM »

they used herrera, finnegan, collins, davis and frasor first.  the only reason they put him in was because yost is fanatical about keeping holland for the save.  there was no one else left to use.  and i bet if you go back and look at video you'll see that he was pitching out of the stretch with nobody on base.

he's thrown one inning in the post season, cf3.

Man I about lost it when they put Collins in

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28491 on: October 18, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »
oh sure, happens all the time.  team gets to the post season looks at their two best pitchers and flips a coin.  one is the game one starter.  the other they bury in the bullpen and never pitch if they have any other feasible option.  that's just basic strategy.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28492 on: October 18, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
i mean this has all been reported.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28493 on: October 18, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »
Duffy posted a 2.55 ERA in 25 starts, the lowest mark of any member of the rotation. He trailed only Wade Davis in Baseball-Reference.com's wins above replacement and was considered worth 3.5 WAR, an advanced metric that compares a player to the production of a theoretical minor-league replacement.

On Sept. 6, he left a game against the New York Yankees after throwing just one pitch. The Royals shut him down for two weeks. He returned on Sept. 22 and found himself unable to throw strikes from his windup delivery. Pitching almost exclusively from the stretch, he spun six scoreless innings against the Cleveland Indians.

His final outing was far less encouraging. The White Sox pounded him for four runs in two innings Sept. 27. The timing of this lapse was unfortunate.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansas-city-royals/article2692785.html

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28494 on: October 18, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
podcast i posted a while back with a pitching mechanics guy that talks about duffy's problems.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=24855

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28495 on: October 18, 2014, 09:10:39 PM »
Sys what's your point? That Ned is lying? Its kind of what coaches/managers do.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28496 on: October 18, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »
no, they're not lying.  they've said fairly openly that he's not pitching because his mechanics are off and they don't trust him to throw strikes.  my points are that 1)  there's no real reason to think he's hurt.  they've said over and over again that he's not.  and 2)  unless they've suddenly been able to fix his mechanics, he's probably not going to pitch much, if at all, against sf.

it's also a little side point of mine that it should be obvious to any thinking person that if duffy was still regular season duffy, they'd be using the crap out of him in the post season.  it boggles my mind that anyone thinks otherwise.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28497 on: October 18, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »
no argument from me bud

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28498 on: October 19, 2014, 12:35:35 AM »

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28499 on: October 19, 2014, 03:15:54 AM »
Just so you are aware how stupid your statement is Canary, Greg Holland this year had a 1.44 ERA and a .914 WHIP, 13K per nine innings, and 4.5 K/BB.

Jeff Montgomery, Dan Quisenberry, and Joakim Soria (the 3 best closers in Royals history before Holland) never had a season close to that. In fact, any of those numbers I listed would be career highs for the other 3. Greg Holland is the best closer this team has ever had, and he is significantly more automatic than the other 3 were. He gave up 1 run in 8 IP in the playoffs. He was TREMENDOUS against the Angels and Orioles, pitching ever game. Wade Davis's magnificent season doesn't diminish Holland's greatness at all.

Now please stop posting in this thread.

Excellent post and analysis, cf3.  :thumbs: