Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980256 times)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #25625 on: December 07, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »
10 is great. do not add anyone.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25626 on: December 07, 2014, 12:45:25 PM »
We are not adding anyone.  Jesus.

We'll RE-ask to be allowed to have a championship game, and they'll grant it in the spirit of this new "don't tread on me" de-regulation in D1.   Then we'll start playing a championship game.  Rear view mirror for the rest of the conference and 1998 for the rest of Baylor and TCU fans' lives.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25627 on: December 07, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
I doubt we would get anyone good and I don't want our conference watered down with garbage teams.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25628 on: December 07, 2014, 12:47:08 PM »
A championship game will be stupid
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #25629 on: December 07, 2014, 12:48:24 PM »
The truth is that there are 4 power conferences.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25630 on: December 07, 2014, 12:50:22 PM »
As we should, we'll do what our Texas overlords want (with some input from Oklahoma). They may decide they would get in the same situation or that the field will be expanded to eight by the time they're a contender and decide to hold'em. Very much doubt there's much grief on their part that BU, TCU got screwed.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25631 on: December 07, 2014, 01:01:47 PM »
10 is great, it's even better in basketball

Yeah, 14 teams this season in basketball is garbage.  It feels weird.  I don't like playing Rutgers and Nebraska in hoops.  Yuck.  Maryland isn't bad, but it's still unnatural. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25632 on: December 07, 2014, 01:07:35 PM »
Bread, I asked you yesterday on the BB board what the eff Rutgers brings to the big 10. Syracuse, I could kind of understand.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25633 on: December 07, 2014, 01:10:29 PM »
As we should, we'll do what our Texas overlords want (with some input from Oklahoma). They may decide they would get in the same situation or that the field will be expanded to eight by the time they're a contender and decide to hold'em. Very much doubt there's much grief on their part that BU, TCU got screwed.

They got screwed out of money, so they should have a little grief.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #25634 on: December 07, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »

We aren't even discussing this if FSU hasn't won something like 27 straight games.

The committee hates the ACC. They've crap on them, all year.  But FSU is in because they just won't lose.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25635 on: December 07, 2014, 01:13:32 PM »
1/10th of $2 million? Yeah, I bet they're redoing their budget.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25636 on: December 07, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »

yep.  anyone who thinks we're on the same level as the other conferences is kidding themselves.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25637 on: December 07, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »

yep.  anyone who thinks we're on the same level as the other conferences is kidding themselves.

There are three power conferences and two semi power conferences.  The ACC got a team in because FSU is undefeated and defending champs.  If FSU had lost one game this year they would have been outside looking in.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25638 on: December 07, 2014, 01:44:05 PM »
Yeah, most years the ACC would be rightfully locked out. But undefeated, defending NC  :dunno:
Still have Notre Dame, tho, who gets even more gifts shots than OSU. Any year they have one loss, they're in, too.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25639 on: December 07, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »
A championship game will be stupid

The divisions would be gross, we would have a conference schedule that includes 8 of 9 teams and the CCG would be rematches every single year. Gross.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25640 on: December 07, 2014, 01:50:22 PM »
I think today might mark the biggest threat to the big 12.  Bigger than the longhorn network.  As soon as any conf sniffs 16 teams I thing were looking at the destruction of our conference if we dont act first.   The committee just sent a clear message that rankings and record dont matter, its about names and associations.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25641 on: December 07, 2014, 01:51:17 PM »
We don't need a championship game. We just need to make sure Iowa state plays Kansas the last week of the season, every year

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25642 on: December 07, 2014, 01:56:51 PM »
I think today might mark the biggest threat to the big 12.  Bigger than the longhorn network.  As soon as any conf sniffs 16 teams I thing were looking at the destruction of our conference if we dont act first.   The committee just sent a clear message that rankings and record dont matter, its about names and associations.

I don't see that as necessarily a threat. It's pretty much conventional wisdom, Texas, OU get in with Baylor or TCU's resumes. On the other hand, go look at who Shaggybevo greets the idea of adding and sharing money with Memphis, Cincy.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25643 on: December 07, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »

I don't see that as necessarily a threat. It's pretty much conventional wisdom, Texas, OU get in with Baylor or TCU's resumes. On the other hand, go look at who Shaggybevo greets the idea of adding and sharing money with Memphis, Cincy.

It may be a threat because schools and conferences have shown to be panicky and reactionary and may do something stupid.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25644 on: December 07, 2014, 02:07:13 PM »

It may be a threat because schools and conferences have shown to be panicky and reactionary and may do something stupid.
Exactly.  Texas can go anywhere or be an indy team.  The rest of us just got emphatically mushed.  Hell OU with all the criticism they have taken because of their bowl record should look over their backs because the bottom line is, its in a fly over state with no TVs.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25645 on: December 07, 2014, 02:08:30 PM »
Ou will be fine no matter what, don't be dumb
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25646 on: December 07, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »
Ou will be fine no matter what, don't be dumb
which is why they were looking at combos to go to the PAC and still couldnt make it work.  Its not dumb, its numbers.  If OU was a national brand they could have  dragged OSU into the PAC. They are decent to good at most sports programs.  The academic excuse is just absurd.   The bottom line is value added.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25647 on: December 07, 2014, 02:20:06 PM »
Clarification, im not saying OU wouldn't end up in a power 4 conference.  I'm saying as soon as they see a cherry deal its on.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #25648 on: December 07, 2014, 02:26:11 PM »
Pete, put a pot of coffee on.  This thing is going to see some action in the coming months.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25649 on: December 07, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »
We don't need a championship game. We just need to make sure Iowa state plays Kansas the last week of the season, every year

I'd even be willing to let them name their rivalry game Farmageddon if they agree to schedule the final weekend every year.