Author Topic: people talk about atheletes and student loan stuff  (Read 55674 times)

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: people talk about atheletes and student loan stuff
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »
So, give the kids a bigger stipend, and college football stays the way it is. Start changing crap like getting paid for likeness or paying better rceruits more money and crap, college football ceases to exist on a level playing field. Not saying which one is right or wrong, but there would be a big shift.

I think athletes should get a cut of their likeness but not get it until they have exhausted their eligibility

That'd be a better way to do it, definitely caters to the bigger fanbases, so still creates some inequality...but I do want kids to be paid commensurately for what they're worth.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 10:31:57 PM »
So, give the kids a bigger stipend, and college football stays the way it is. Start changing crap like getting paid for likeness or paying better rceruits more money and crap, college football ceases to exist on a level playing field. Not saying which one is right or wrong, but there would be a big shift.

I think athletes should get a cut of their likeness but not get it until they have exhausted their eligibility
What if the kid can only make money from signatures, appearances, games during the time he's in college.  Most of them don't make it to the next level.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 10:33:35 PM »
I would assume the debt load of a student athlete is similar to that of a non athlete with a similar socioeconomic background. A non student athlete would get grants and loans to cover school expenses and some cost of living and then supplement that with jobs and or parrental support. A student athlete with a full ride (most student athletes don‘t get a full ride) will use the grants and loans to fully supplement cost of living since a job isn't a credible option for most.

no

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 10:33:47 PM »
Isn't that the way it is now.  Hell we're doing it.

Not really.
WSC, Training Table, Vanier II... do I need to go on.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 10:38:43 PM »

That'd be a better way to do it, definitely caters to the bigger fanbases, so still creates some inequality...but I do want kids to be paid commensurately for what they're worth.

The current system already favors bigger fanbases.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 10:43:09 PM »

The current system already favors bigger fanbases.
Yes, why else do the schools spent millions for athletic amenities.  Better recruits and bigger fanbases.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 10:46:06 PM »
another quote:

"Being able to throw your future and scholarship away over pot or raping a girl is freedom too? Which is why they aren't mature enough yet to handle being paid on top of a free education!"

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »
another quote:

"Being able to throw your future and scholarship away over pot or raping a girl is freedom too? Which is why they aren't mature enough yet to handle being paid on top of a free education!"

Who said that?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 10:48:14 PM »
I would assume the debt load of a student athlete is similar to that of a non athlete with a similar socioeconomic background. A non student athlete would get grants and loans to cover school expenses and some cost of living and then supplement that with jobs and or parrental support. A student athlete with a full ride (most student athletes don‘t get a full ride) will use the grants and loans to fully supplement cost of living since a job isn't a credible option for most.

no

yep

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 10:49:16 PM »
another quote:

Who said that?

Someone who shouldn't have the privilege of breathing the same air as most of us.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 10:51:08 PM »

What if the kid can only make money from signatures, appearances, games during the time he's in college.  Most of them don't make it to the next level.

not sure what you mean here

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 10:52:34 PM »

no

yep

no. your assumptions are way rough ridin' wrong. at least they were when i was in school and i "assume" they still are.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 10:56:31 PM »

no

yep

no. your assumptions are way rough ridin' wrong. at least they were when i was in school and i "assume" they still are.

I shouldn't have used the word assumption there, what I posted is what I knew about athletes that I knew when I was in school. Also you made several good points in your counter argument that swayed my opinion, nice job.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »

no

yep

I shouldn't have used the word assumption there, what I posted is what I knew about athletes that I knew when I was in school. Also you made several good points in your counter argument that swayed my opinion, nice job.

i started to type something snarky and then stopped. do you or did you know 19 year olds at kstate that didn't receive parental support and weren't on some kind of scholarship but were still full time students?

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 11:13:07 PM »
Any scenario in which full ride athletic scholarship kids think they're screwed is dumb. They can take out loans like the rest of us who lived outside our means in college and   didn't have academic scholarships, grants, or parents money. Otherwise go play euroball or amateur football where you don't get glory, fame, coeds, excellent coaching and strength trainning.  Oh and a free education, because you probably aren't going pro anyway.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 11:15:09 PM »

no

yep

i started to type something snarky and then stopped. do you or did you know 19 year olds at kstate that didn't receive parental support and weren't on some kind of scholarship but were still full time students?
Yeah and they all had jobs that paid them real money, unlike the athletes I knew who got paid in sweatpants, t shirts, and backpacks. Those things are hard to eat they also don't work well in gas tanks or for cell phone bill payments.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »
Any scenario in which full ride athletic scholarship kids think they're screwed is dumb. They can take out loans like the rest of us who lived outside our means in college and   didn't have academic scholarships, grants, or parents money. Otherwise go play euroball or amateur football where you don't get glory, fame, coeds, excellent coaching and strength trainning.  Oh and a free education, because you probably aren't going pro anyway.

You not being exceptional at all has no place in this conversation

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 11:20:30 PM »

"coeds"

oh boy

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »

no

yep

Yeah and they all had jobs that paid them real money, unlike the athletes I knew who got paid in sweatpants, t shirts, and backpacks. Those things are hard to eat they also don't work well in gas tanks or for cell phone bill payments.

what kind of grants did these people that you used to know get?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 11:24:41 PM »
Question for you, MakeItRain: If you pay football/basketball players, do you pay rowers, cross country runners, etc? If no, how could you justify paying athletes of one or two sports and not the others?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 11:28:11 PM »

:popcorn:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 11:31:07 PM »
I'm not in everyone's pocket, but I'm assuming that if they got loans they filled out a fasfa and qualified for pell grants they accepted the pell. Are you going to get to the point, its getting late man?

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 11:34:15 PM »

Substitute majority of college students for rest of us.  Happy?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 11:35:32 PM »
Question for you, MakeItRain: If you pay football/basketball players, do you pay rowers, cross country runners, etc? If no, how could you justify paying athletes of one or two sports and not the others?

I love Olympic sports, like a whole lot. All athletes should receive a stipend. Olympic sports athletes get screwed over worse than basketball and football players do. They have to do all of the work but most have partial scholarships, they work their asses off for their schools and I take it personally when they get disrespected.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 11:38:00 PM »

Substitute majority of college students for rest of us.  Happy?

relevance?