Poll

Will the "cool" Pinstripe Bowl K-State be on the new field at BSFS?

Yes . . . it's cool.  Currie Prevails.
NO . . . OB Wins again.

Author Topic: BSFS Expansion Thread  (Read 3992183 times)

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: BSFS Expansion Thread
« Reply #13800 on: April 23, 2014, 03:35:55 PM »
I've said it before, but I'll say it again.. I hope we don't put another dime into the east side until we are ready to tear down what we have, and build a structure similar in size with the same facade as the west side, but the top few floors would be open stadium seating with a roof over the top at the same height as the WSC. Pretty much a very similar, but a little less luxurious ESC. I think it'd really even up the look and feel of our stadium.
Why not just put a facade behind it? Plus, it seems like it might be a long time before they are willing to tear it down. Just added restrooms and lights.

Facade / limestone is being discussed. Would make East exterior match West Stadium Center and Vanier Complex.  The southwest corner got pushed to Phase 6.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13801 on: April 23, 2014, 03:37:30 PM »
I've said it before, but I'll say it again.. I hope we don't put another dime into the east side until we are ready to tear down what we have, and build a structure similar in size with the same facade as the west side, but the top few floors would be open stadium seating with a roof over the top at the same height as the WSC. Pretty much a very similar, but a little less luxurious ESC. I think it'd really even up the look and feel of our stadium.
Why not just put a facade behind it? Plus, it seems like it might be a long time before they are willing to tear it down. Just added restrooms and lights.

This.

I didn't think due to the size, we could accomplish the same look as the WSC.. but if we can, I'm all for it.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13802 on: April 23, 2014, 03:43:18 PM »
Have you considered concrete latticework?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #13803 on: April 23, 2014, 03:43:26 PM »

Facade / limestone is being discussed. Would make East exterior match West Stadium Center and Vanier Complex.  The southwest corner got pushed to Phase 6.
Thanks CC, I'm very much interested in putting a "matching" facade behind the east side.

Do you know of any prelim costs to do that?

I would think it would be pennies on the dollar compared to Vanier 2.0 and the West Side considering at its core it's only a wall with comparably small interior changes. I would think (huge guess) that the exterior would only be $10M at most. More if that means deckin' out the interior and suites.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #13804 on: April 23, 2014, 03:43:50 PM »
lol

Best KU poster on the planet, easily.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13805 on: April 23, 2014, 03:45:39 PM »
lol

Let's not make this about me.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13806 on: April 23, 2014, 03:46:18 PM »

While I like the sounds of getting the east side to match the rest of the stadium, it would seem to me that this would cost a lot of money and not generate any revenue.  I'd assume, they would hold off on this and eventually implode the east side and do it right if they are going to spend any money on it at all to match the WSC.  Is that a possibility being discussed CC?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13807 on: April 23, 2014, 03:47:59 PM »
Hey guys, have you heard, people think spracne is a really good ku poster!

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #13808 on: April 23, 2014, 03:48:40 PM »
lol

OK, but let's end this with me telling you that I love you with my whole heart.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13809 on: April 23, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
thanks, CC

if we don't K-Stateo the NE and NW corners with this reno, and we do the east side up right, we will have the best stadium in the history of the entire world

just kidding....but seriously

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13810 on: April 23, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »

this makes the most sense. i really hope they put some kind of hotel or restaurant or something over where cat town currently is. maybe rooms that overlook the baseball field. wow what a hot poa that little number would be, huh fellas?

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13811 on: April 23, 2014, 04:10:48 PM »

Thanks CC, I'm very much interested in putting a "matching" facade behind the east side.

I would think it would be pennies on the dollar compared to Vanier 2.0 and the West Side considering at its core it's only a wall with comparably small interior changes. I would think (huge guess) that the exterior would only be $10M at most. More if that means deckin' out the interior and suites.

I have no idea on cost.

One thing K-State is running into on these facility projects is ADA / fire code type issues when a new facility alters an existing one. As soon as that happens, it is considered to be one complete facility that must all pass current code. So I'm sure one question to be asked is would the facade thing have to be free standing to avoid that type of thing or could it connect. I am assuming being able to connect it would make it cheaper to build, but I have no idea if that's true.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13812 on: April 23, 2014, 04:13:08 PM »
I do know the East Suites reno is desired, the furniture and fixtures haven't changed much since they opened in 2000 or so. Time for a refresh.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13813 on: April 23, 2014, 04:14:14 PM »
any closer to trees on the west side CC?  They haven't had any since WSC opened in 2013, wouldn't hurt to be spruced up a little.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #13814 on: April 23, 2014, 04:18:46 PM »
any closer to trees on the west side CC?  They haven't had any since WSC opened in 2013, wouldn't hurt to be spruced up a little.

:D

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #13815 on: April 23, 2014, 04:19:27 PM »

I have no idea on cost.

One thing K-State is running into on these facility projects is ADA / fire code type issues when a new facility alters an existing one. As soon as that happens, it is considered to be one complete facility that must all pass current code. So I'm sure one question to be asked is would the facade thing have to be free standing to avoid that type of thing or could it connect. I am assuming being able to connect it would make it cheaper to build, but I have no idea if that's true.
You're probably right. Am I optimistic in thinking that ADA/fire code stuff haven't changed dramatically in the last 15 years?

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13816 on: April 23, 2014, 04:27:24 PM »

I have no idea on cost.

You're probably right. Am I optimistic in thinking that ADA/fire code stuff haven't changed dramatically in the last 15 years?

Changed some. I don't recall there being much from a code standpoint being forced when the upper deck restrooms were added, but I don't know if that is the same thing as a structural facade.

But for example, the lower seating bowl of KSU Stadium was built in 1968, and codes have changed quite a bit since then.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13817 on: April 23, 2014, 04:28:56 PM »

Have not asked lately. Last I heard, the thought was to make a "Main Entry Drive" on both the north and west sides, with landscaping/trees/etc.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13818 on: April 23, 2014, 04:34:17 PM »
If you ask me "The Setting" will always = 50 acres of uninterrupted asphalt, goat farm, gravel, and open field.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13819 on: April 23, 2014, 04:40:18 PM »

Have not asked lately. Last I heard, the thought was to make a "Main Entry Drive" on both the north and west sides, with landscaping/trees/etc.

I am glad you are back posting again, friend.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13820 on: April 23, 2014, 06:49:38 PM »
Changed some. I don't recall there being much from a code standpoint being forced when the upper deck restrooms were added, but I don't know if that is the same thing as a structural facade.

But for example, the lower seating bowl of KSU Stadium was built in 1968, and codes have changed quite a bit since then.

Is that why the new north endzone seating will not connect to the east and west seating areas?

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13821 on: April 23, 2014, 08:32:57 PM »

Is that why the new north endzone seating will not connect to the east and west seating areas?

Would think when they added that section to the lower bowl when they put the east side erector set up that would have triggered a Ada/fire code update back in 1999
RIP Fatty

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13822 on: April 23, 2014, 08:51:35 PM »
lol

OK, but let's end this with me telling you that I love you with my whole heart.
MODS, is there a place in the PITT for this mushy stuff.  :adored:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13823 on: April 24, 2014, 10:30:57 AM »

This.

I didn't think due to the size, we could accomplish the same look as the WSC.. but if we can, I'm all for it.

If I recall correctly, I read JC stated that they needed to upgrade the premium facilities on the East Side.  So my guess would be that any work down would result in building a structure that tied into the east that allowed improved club facilities, while at the same time updating amenities such as restrooms and concessions.  I doubt that they would build any premium seats above/behind the current deck, but my guess that would be based upon demand and if it made financial sense at the time considered.

One thing I've learned is that JC doesn't want to do any construction half-a$$ed.  Instead, things will be done well, and considered toward the front of the curve so you don't have buyer's remorse in a few years (as happened with the East Side, and Vanier upgrades in the past (let alone avoiding CF's like what happened when the did the Frank and the team was playing ball in places like Salina as home games).

Offline davegladow

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eyeblack Odyssey
« Reply #13824 on: April 24, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »

This is needed (needed on the east side too) and will go a long way in improving the aesthetics.

One of the ways to make the east facade more "worth" the money is to make the space functional.  Are there any plans on the table that you've seen that add classroom space/administrative offices and/or similar on the east side?  As an example, Doak Campbell's facade wraps all the way around and one of the ways they accomplished this was via putting other departments/offices inside the stadium (similar to what we've done with the old stadium, but much nicer/bigger). 

We don't need 90,000 seats of course, but the principles of design are the same ... what most fans seem to want is a connected look on the inside and the outside (with some landscaping thrown in for good measure). Also swag and cool castle-y things and whatnot.