Author Topic: General NFL thread: 2019 Tom Brady's Legacy  (Read 114884 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: So do we have a general NFL thread, or just everything in the Chiefs thread?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 08:46:54 AM »
I just can't wait until the "real" refs come back and remind everybody that they blow calls all the time, too.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: So do we have a general NFL thread, or just everything in the Chiefs thread?
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
seeing all of the packers and other nfl players tweeting things all night was outstanding  :lol:

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 10:53:35 AM »
It's a zero-sum game so the officiating doesn't matter with respect to the outcome (unless they're being paid off, or rooting for one team or another).  What does matter is that the game has become a complete farce.  The only reason to watch it now is to see what the officials will screw up next.  :popcorn:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 12:08:55 PM »
for me, the nfl is a cute little league that takes up time on sunday.  i'll turn it on if the shawshank redemption isn't on, and when i'm bored of MW3, and if i need a hangover nap. 

real men watch college football.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »
for me, the nfl is a cute little league that takes up time on sunday.  i'll turn it on if the shawshank redemption isn't on, and when i'm bored of MW3, and if i need a hangover nap. 

Oh boy. I bet you hate the NBA too? Loser :flush:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »
nope, love the NBA.  it's a real man's sport, similar to college football.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »

:thumbs:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 01:01:45 PM »
nfl has acknowledge that the PI call was missed at the end, doesn't say anything about simultaneous possession.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
nfl has acknowledge that the PI call was missed at the end, doesn't say anything about simultaneous possession.

Because it was a judgement call.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Because it was a judgement call.

but a reviewable judgement call

Full Statement from the NFL:

In Monday's game between the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks, Seattle faced a 4th-and-10 from the Green Bay 24 with eight seconds remaining in the game.

Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson threw a pass into the end zone. Several players, including Seattle wide receiver Golden Tate and Green Bay safety M.D. Jennings, jumped into the air in an attempt to catch the ball.

While the ball is in the air, Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. It was not called and is not reviewable in instant replay.

When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

The result of the game is final.

Applicable rules to the play are as follows:

A player (or players) jumping in the air has not legally gained possession of the ball until he satisfies the elements of a catch listed here.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3 of the NFL Rule Book defines a catch:

A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

When a player (or players) is going to the ground in the attempt to catch a pass, Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1 states:

Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 5 states:

Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 01:28:19 PM »
A replay official can't determine possession. They could have declared it an incomplete pass, but they can't go to the booth to determine which player is in possession.

So yes, the simultaneous possession call was bullshit, but once the call of touchdown was made, there was nothing that could be done.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 08:45:58 AM »

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 10:35:39 AM »
extremely well done :thumbs:

I think the one I did during the wichita death tornado earlier this year was better, but I get it in where I can.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »

I think the one I did during the wichita death tornado earlier this year was better, but I get it in where I can.

yes, that one was best. because you were connected to it in real life, like D. covering the Cats.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2012, 10:46:09 AM »

yes, that one was best. because you were connected to it in real life, like D. covering the Cats.

I wish I hadn't been in a tornado so I could've gotten on a computer and gotten a screenshot.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »
Lockout over per everyone on Twitter.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »
LOL at Goodell caving to a bunch of refs.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »
Goodell is a FP with no backbone. spread the word people.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2012, 01:40:36 PM »
People should give Goodell hell when the crappy unionized refs blow a game this week.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
the scab refs probably took payments from the union refs to blow calls to improve the union refs position

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2012, 02:00:17 PM »
the scab refs probably took payments from the union refs to blow calls to improve the union refs position

Scabs take what they can get when they can get it, and if the big union bosses were offering, you can bet your ass those scabs took those bribes.