Author Topic: Herbs, Spices, and Salts -- No seasoning talk!  (Read 2263 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Herbs, Spices, and Salts -- No seasoning talk!
« on: August 30, 2018, 10:04:33 AM »
This thread is for discussion of the merits of individual herbs, spices and salts.  Please do not refer to combinations (aka seasonings) here.

My favorite is Smoked Hungarian Paprika, really adds a great depth of smoky and spicy flavor to a wide variety of dishes.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Herbs, Spices, and Salts -- No seasoning talk!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »
8man, talk to me about your sous vides prep for steaks.

I've been sticking with basic salt and pepper but wouldn't mind increasing my game if I can.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »
when people ask me how old i am, i say "old enough to use herbs & spices, but not old enough to use pre-made seasonings"

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 10:33:00 AM »

I've been sticking with basic salt and pepper but wouldn't mind increasing my game if I can.

I'm a simple man when it comes to steak seasoning myself.  I actually don't generally do anything in-bag for the sous vide steaks, though much of the reason for that is that I got a 1/4 cow of beef from Slagel Farms and vacuum sealed all of it at once.  It would be a pain to cut open, add stuff, then reseal, so I don't generally.

My sous vide steak cook is basically:
1.  1-2 hours at 130-137°F depending on cut / thickness.  I go hotter on a ribeye than the less fatty cuts.
2.  Remove from bag, dry steaks, and salt fairly heavily on all sides.
3.  Rest 10-15 minutes, then dry again.  The salt draws out quite a bit of moisture.
4.  Sear on super hot skillet w/ very thin layer of avocado oil(or other high smoke point oil) or on very hot grill. About a minute on each side, until you have a good crust.
5.  Remove, add pat of butter to the top and black pepper.  Possibly re-salt. Serve immediately.

Some people think adding salt to the bag pre-cook can do weird things to the texture, but I don't think it is much of an issue for a short cook.  I wouldn't do it for a longer one.  Adding fat to the bag seems to do nothing either way.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »
Favorite spice:  Black Pepper.  Many times around the table with my family you'll hear me say something along the lines of "pass the pepper please" or "can I have the pepper" or "this could use a little pepper" or something like that.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 10:41:40 AM »

I'm a simple man when it comes to steak seasoning myself.  I actually don't generally do anything in-bag for the sous vide steaks, though much of the reason for that is that I got a 1/4 cow of beef from Slagel Farms and vacuum sealed all of it at once.  It would be a pain to cut open, add stuff, then reseal, so I don't generally.

My sous vide steak cook is basically:
1.  1-2 hours at 130-137°F depending on cut / thickness.  I go hotter on a ribeye than the less fatty cuts.
2.  Remove from bag, dry steaks, and salt fairly heavily on all sides.
3.  Rest 10-15 minutes, then dry again.  The salt draws out quite a bit of moisture.
4.  Sear on super hot skillet w/ very thin layer of avocado oil(or other high smoke point oil) or on very hot grill. About a minute on each side, until you have a good crust.
5.  Remove, add pat of butter to the top and black pepper.  Possibly re-salt. Serve immediately.

Some people think adding salt to the bag pre-cook can do weird things to the texture, but I don't think it is much of an issue for a short cook.  I wouldn't do it for a longer one.  Adding fat to the bag seems to do nothing either way.
137  :eek:

Good to know.  Will implement your post bag routine on my next bath night.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »
Favorite Salt:  Sodium Citrate

Uses:  Making your aged sharp cheddar, fancy swiss, or whatever other delicious cheese you may prefer melt like it was motherfucking Velveeta, without that crappy processed cheese flavor.

Best Mac and Cheese and Quesos that you can imagine.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 10:45:44 AM »
Second favorite salt: Sodium Nitrite

Combined with some standard table salt it forms Prague chowder #1, which is how you make many sausages.  'Nuff said.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 11:10:47 AM »
This thread is for discussion of the merits of individual herbs, spices and salts.  Please do not refer to combinations (aka seasonings) here.

My favorite is Smoked Hungarian Paprika, really adds a great depth of smoky and spicy flavor to a wide variety of dishes.

This is at the top of my spice charts as well.  Put it in a variety of dishes.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
when people ask me how old i am, i say "old enough to use herbs & spices, but not old enough to use pre-made seasonings"
:thumbs:

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 11:26:11 AM »
This is a pretty good guide for sous vide steaks.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Also, a video on searing steaks with Adam Savage.  (the hottest method they use is a small aluminum forge)
https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/06/how-hot-is-too-hot-steak-searing-adam-savage-tested.html

I love my sous vide for a few things.  I'm much more a fan of the reverse sear on the grill though.  If I'm cooking indoors and finishing on cast iron, sous vide all the way. 

For the reverse sear, I put coals on one side of the grill and a chunk of hickory.  Steaks on the other side. after 5 mins, I open the lid and flip the steaks.  You won't notice any over cooking on the surfaces and you could argue the flip isn't necessary, but I do it anyway. after another 5 mins, I check the temperature.  I'll keep flipping every few minutes (while closing the lid inbetween), until the steak is around 110-120.  Take the steak off, let it rest a few minutes.  Keep the lid off and let the grill get super hot.  pat the steaks dry, and put them over the coals. flip every 20 seconds until both sides are finished to your desire.  Flip steaks on their sides and finish the sides if needed.  The hickory adds a smokey flavor that you can't reproduce any other way and you get a very similar temperature profile as you would with a sous vide.

Seasoning:  Salt before.  pepper after.  (if I have the time, I will salt my steak and set it in the fridge the night before or at least a few hours before cooking.  Similar to how you'd dry brine a turkey or chicken)

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 12:04:39 PM »
Favorite Salt:  Sodium Citrate

Uses:  Making your aged sharp cheddar, fancy swiss, or whatever other delicious cheese you may prefer melt like it was motherfucking Velveeta, without that crappy processed cheese flavor.

Best Mac and Cheese and Quesos that you can imagine.

This.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
Favorite herb: fresh basil

So versatile, so tasty. Grows pretty easily in my back yard.

Secret contender for favorite: parsley

Not just a garnish. Want that soup or sauce to taste fresh and bright? Boom, parsley.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 12:38:27 PM »
halfEmpty is clearly a man of taste and distinction

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 01:49:57 PM »
Favorite Herbs: 

Fresh basil for my homemade marinara or to spread on pizza. (my wife over-trims our plants though)
Cilantro is also heavily used in my kitchen.
One that doesn't get a lot of pub, but dried rosemary is great on pizza crust or calzones. It also works well with potatoes.  Fresh rosemary can be great in a sauce/gravy/stock, but it can overpower it if you use too much

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 02:04:02 PM »
There is no better feeling on planet earth than when you got olive oil, butter, garlic, and onion starting to simmer on the gas range, and it feels like you can do no wrong at that point and whoever else is in your house invariably wanders into the kitchen to see wtf has got their stomach so horny and you just kind of give them a knowing smile that says, you're about to get your face smashed with what I've got going on here pal

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 07:54:03 AM »
Garden fresh basil pesto. :lick:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
MSG