Author Topic: Good burger discussion (non-lamb burger related but also tasty and delicious)  (Read 61082 times)

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
What's the opinion on Chef Burger? I've never had it but always walk by it and am intrigued when I'm on my way to the Sprint Center.

You should drive down there right now to get some
Sorry, meant always walk by it when I'm going to something at the Sprint Center. Probably not going to drive to Kansas City just to eat a burger. But it is good, you say?

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
a good burger should have no more than 3 toppings.

try this:  cream cheese, thick-cut bacon and some peppery greens ('rugala, cress, dandelion greens, endive, etc.)
absolute delish.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
If you find yourself in Lawrence and need to escape all the hayseeds on Mass Street for a while, walk a block over to Vermont and try the Burger Stand in Dempsey's.  Better than Blanc, IMHO.  Truffle fries def. better than Blanc. 
Agree on this. I've had the Kobe Burger and the Smokehouse Burger. Both were great. I've also had a lamb burger that they had on special

What's the opinion on Chef Burger? I've never had it but always walk by it and am intrigued when I'm on my way to the Sprint Center.
it's so rough ridin' good it closed within the first year it was opened, but other than that it was overpriced garbage.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
a good burger should have no more than 3 toppings.

try this:  cream cheese, thick-cut bacon and some peppery greens ('rugala, cress, dandelion greens, endive, etc.)
absolute delish.

i'm going to do this!  except add lots more toppings and replace the cream cheese with a more flavorful cheese.  and i'll probably just have the bacon cut normally.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
the havarti goes well on the burger

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
If you find yourself in Lawrence and need to escape all the hayseeds on Mass Street for a while, walk a block over to Vermont and try the Burger Stand in Dempsey's.  Better than Blanc, IMHO.  Truffle fries def. better than Blanc. 
Agree on this. I've had the Kobe Burger and the Smokehouse Burger. Both were great. I've also had a lamb burger that they had on special

it's so fracking good it closed within the first year it was opened, but other than that it was overpriced garbage.
It's closed? What's replaced it? It seemed like it had been around for longer than a year.  :dunno:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

it's so fracking good it closed within the first year it was opened, but other than that it was overpriced garbage.
It's closed? What's replaced it? It seemed like it had been around for longer than a year.  :dunno:
just checked, sounds like it may have reopened.  they were about $60k behind in rent and were getting sued back  in january but they might have worked something out with the landlord.  will confirm later.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Just finished a homemade Fat Tuesday burger, fellas.  Not gonna lie...it was delicious.

Zatarain's and Tabasco mixed in to the meat. Charred. Thick-cut bacon and orange marmalade on top. Lettuce below.

Time for  :drink:

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
stopped at smashburger tonight.  tried the shocker (fried pickles, grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, american, chipotle mayo, and bbq sauce).  pretty good.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Just finished a homemade Fat Tuesday burger, fellas.  Not gonna lie...it was delicious.

Zatarain's and Tabasco mixed in to the meat. Charred. Thick-cut bacon and orange marmalade on top. Lettuce below.

Jesus, that sounds awesome.  Which Zatarain's did you use?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
stopped at smashburger tonight.  tried the shocker (fried pickles, grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, american, chipotle mayo, and bbq sauce).  pretty good.

Which location?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
I make shitty burgers despite my best efforts.  I think I'm going wrong by grilling them.  Frying pan the key? 

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Jesus, that sounds awesome.  Which Zatarain's did you use?

The same, my friend.  The same.  Shake it into the bowl until you think there's enough, then shake in a lot more.   :lick:

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
stopped at smashburger tonight.  tried the shocker (fried pickles, grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, american, chipotle mayo, and bbq sauce).  pretty good.

Which location?

n woodlawn, wichita

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I make shitty burgers despite my best efforts.  I think I'm going wrong by grilling them.  Frying pan the key? 

shouldn't be.  are you overcooking?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i bet he spends too much time pattying them. gotta be overpattying.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
now i haven't been there, but there is a place in Chicago called "Kumas." According to several elite sources it is the best burger joint in 'Merica.

A few examples of their work

a different variation of their thanksgiving burger

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i bet he spends too much time pattying them. gotta be overpattying.

i bet you're right.  was going to say it, but then thought "not steve dave!", but it's gotta be something, right?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What's wrong with them SD?  what kind of beef are you getting?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
What's wrong with them SD?  what kind of beef are you getting?

Have tried all kinds.  Usually use 80/20 or 85/15.  They aren't bad, just not great. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
You have to poke a small crater into the middle of the burger in order for it to cook right.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Need to get ground sirloin.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also mix a pound with a little garlic salt chopped yelow onion. Will be great

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Had a bleu chz + bacon burger @ lil apple.  They have really good buns.  They never get soggy.