Author Topic: Answers to awkward social situations  (Read 31541 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Answers to awkward social situations
« on: May 19, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »
Hello everyone.  I am a master of conquering awkward social situations.  I want to be of help so if you run into a situation or scenario you need guidance on please let me know.  Everyone should feel free to answer as well, but other people's (I am pretty sure I f'ed up that apostrophe placement there...) answers should be taken with a grain of salt.  If you are very self-conscious you can pm me and I will anonymize your question to protect your identity.   

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Answers to awkward social situations
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »
I sometimes have very loud gas at in appropriate times. It hurts to hold it in, but I know I shouldn't fart out loud based on the people around me. What should I do?

This happens to us all.  If you are in an area close to a restroom you should release your gas in the restroom.  If not, then you have two scenarios

1) Cause a distraction by shouting or screaming and release the gas in the meantime. 
2) Own it, gas is a natural thing and people will forget about it after about 15 minutes.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 01:32:02 PM »
I sometimes have very loud gas at in appropriate times. It hurts to hold it in, but I know I shouldn't fart out loud based on the people around me. What should I do?

This happens to us all.  If you are in an area close to a restroom you should release your gas in the restroom.  If not, then you have two scenarios

1) Cause a distraction by shouting or screaming and release the gas in the meantime. 
2) Own it, gas is a natural thing and people will forget about it after about 15 minutes.
That seems like some really good advice for whoever asked that question. I hope they come back and read that.

You appear to be very good at this.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 01:36:51 PM »
related:

my dad will rip out a fart in front of anyone at anytime. I think it's subconscious at this point what do I do? do I ignore it? apologize on his behalf privately later? join in with my own farts to maybe inflate the fart shock market to the point of collapse?

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »
Is it OK to punch schreds F-I-L when he's picking his bread crust off in a social setting?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 01:39:28 PM »
related:

my dad will rip out a fart in front of anyone at anytime. I think it's subconscious at this point what do I do? do I ignore it? apologize on his behalf privately later? join in with my own farts to maybe inflate the fart shock market to the point of collapse?

it's not just like an oops toot or a suprise blast. It is very deliberate. like he will hold his breath for a second and squeeze it out then loudly exhale through his nose.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:40:26 PM »
related:

You should give a "knowing look" (aka the Jim from The Office look) to the others.  If you cannot establish eye contact then you should give a "HA HA" so people look at you then give the "look".

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »
related:

You should give a "knowing look" (aka the Jim from The Office look) to the others.  If you cannot establish eye contact then you should give a "HA HA" so people look at you then give the "look".

this works well with people i know, but what about strangers? i say ignore completely in that instance.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »
Is it OK to punch schreds F-I-L when he's picking his bread crust off in a social setting?
No, you should give the "mortified look" (aka the Pam [seasons 1-3] from The Office look).  It would also be ok to take three steps back away from the offender.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
related:

puni's dad posts on gE? (or at least PM's Chingon) :surprised:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 01:43:33 PM »
related:

this works well with people i know, but what about strangers? i say ignore completely in that instance.
It works best with strangers.  Do not ignore, this will make the others more awkward in that they cannot share their social amusement with someone else.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 01:45:51 PM »
No, you should give the "mortified look" (aka the Pam [seasons 1-3] from The Office look).  It would also be ok to take three steps back away from the offender.
Noted.  How about when he's just being a dipshit in general (which is most of the time).

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 01:47:15 PM »
Noted.  How about when he's just being a dipshit in general (which is most of the time).
I need more specific scenarios/situations. 

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 01:47:38 PM »
related:

It works best with strangers.  Do not ignore, this will make the others more awkward in that they cannot share their social amusement with someone else.

you are really good at advice

puni's dad posts on gE? (or at least PM's Chingon) :surprised:

:surprised:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »
I was at a graduation party on Saturday. This guy I know who is a complete awkward unconfident dork cornered me and started talking to me about stuff. What is the best way to politely end a conversation with a dude like that?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 01:55:58 PM »
I was at a graduation party on Saturday. This guy I know who is a complete awkward unconfident dork cornered me and started talking to me about stuff. What is the best way to politely end a conversation with a dude like that?
Smile and nod for about five minutes, say if was nice catching up with them and that you have to use the restroom, then leave to use the restroom.  Go to the restroom (very important!), but on the way find another social group to attach to.  When leaving the restroom immediately join the new group.  DO NOT make eye contact with the other guy.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 01:56:33 PM »
Smile and nod for about five minutes, say if was nice catching up with them and that you have to use the restroom, then leave to use the restroom.  Go to the restroom (very important!), but on the way find another social group to attach to.  When leaving the restroom immediately join the new group.  DO NOT make eye contact with the other guy.

:thumbs:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
Is it polite to ask people who refuse to eat certain foods why that is? I am a tolerator and don't really care one way or the other, but I am just curious and it seems like a good topic of conversation to me.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »
I need more specific scenarios/situations.
Like when Mrs Schreds' lil sis bought a new fridge that had no interest for a year (she's a poor) and he told her to just make min payments rather than try to pay it off before the interest began accruing.   Or the evening before our wedding (to which he contributed nothing) when everyone was pitching in to decorate and prepare and he refused to help so he could get to bed since he had a tee time the next morning before his oldest daughter's wedding.  Or when being introduced to Mrs Schreds lil sis' boyfriend's grandmother, the first words out of his mouth are "how old are you?".  I've got lots more if you need them.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »
well you should make the minimum payments, THEN pay off the remaining lump sum at the last possible day to avoid the deferred interest. this way the inflation rate works to your advantage, as well as the time value of money.

she probably got good advice, just forgot the last and most important part.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 02:15:49 PM »
You are eating lunch with someone and they laugh and a little piece of food goes out of their mouth onto your arm.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »
You are eating lunch with someone and they laugh and a little piece of food goes out of their mouth onto your arm.

hurry and eat it before they try to take it back

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 02:17:46 PM »
well you should make the minimum payments, THEN pay off the remaining lump sum at the last possible day to avoid the deferred interest. this way the inflation rate works to your advantage, as well as the time value of money.

she probably got good advice, just forgot the last and most important part.
While your advice is sound, I witnessed the conversation and in no way shape or form was this the advice he was giving her.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »
Your boss has a decent sized large booger hanging out of his nose?

(This happened to me about 18 years ago. We were at lunch. I didn't say anything. He reached up and felt it, so then he grabbed it and removed it. Not really picking a booger, as it was pretty much fully exposed and didn't have to dig to get it.)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 02:19:43 PM »
Is it polite to ask people who refuse to eat certain foods why that is? I am a tolerator and don't really care one way or the other, but I am just curious and it seems like a good topic of conversation to me.
I would ask if they have an allergy or social reason for avoiding the food and push no further.  This is best done with the justification that you want to make sure the next time they are not forced to refuse food.  Like:

"Oh I am sorry, do you have an allergy to onions or avoid them for religious reasons?  The only reason I am asking is so that next time I make food when you are over I can accommodate your needs." 

Then the next time they come over you can a) warn them the dish will contain food they can't/won't eat, but invite them to bring a dish they like that everyone can enjoy or b) make menu that will have something they can eat.