Author Topic: moving  (Read 40297 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
moving
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »
in january.  gonna need a bigger house.  advice?

:flush:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: moving
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
hire guys

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »
Try and sell/give/throw away crap you don't need - nothing worse than paying people to move crap you don't use

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 10:06:25 AM »
we are, sort of.  we are moving out and hiring a guy to paint/clean/fix everything so it will look brand new when it goes up.  cire's sister used the same guy and her house sold in 3 days after being on the market for like 6months in 09.

just wondering what the most efficient way to pack our crap/clothes/ciredaughter's stuff etc.

Plastic bins?  old fashioned boxes?

I think we're going to have to store crap, where's the best place etc.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 10:07:15 AM »
Try and sell/give/throw away crap you don't need - nothing worse than paying people to move crap you don't use

yeah, we gutted out our basement.  The kitchen cabinets are next and we have a junk/guest room that is redic.

first house, lived here going on 8 years.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »
this sounds incredibly awful

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 10:10:58 AM »
i would just stay where you are.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 10:11:13 AM »
yeah, next house we are going big, 4 bed 3 bath finished basement etc.  And then I will die there.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
Just hire movers and have them pack all of your stuff for you. I would leave the plastic bin/old fashioned box debate to the pros.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Re: moving
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
i would just stay where you are.

Yeah, still get rid of all the crap and still have someone come in and paint and stuff though.  You will not hate your house any more.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »

yeah, we gutted out our basement.  The kitchen cabinets are next and we have a junk/guest room that is redic.

first house, lived here going on 8 years.
It is scary how much crap we jammed into our first house in a similar time period and we only had a kid of 2 of those years

Just hire movers and have them pack all of your stuff for you. I would leave the plastic bin/old fashioned box debate to the pros.

I hate packing and boxing kitchen and knicknacky crap - we paid our babysitter and her sister $10/hr to come over and wrap and box all the glassware and kitchen stuff and it was the best money we spent out of the thousands spent on the move. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »
Cire, for real, I would call movers.  I had one give me a bid to move only the stuff it would take two ppl to move (bed, couch, large tables, etc.).  I basically had everything that wasn't in a medium sized box or smaller moved for like $450.  Moving was super easy and only took like three hours.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:54 AM »
yeah, next house we are going big, 4 bed 3 bath finished basement etc.  And then I will die there.
I did the same thing you are doing about 5 years ago.  I do dream about the day the kids are gone and we move back to 3 bd ranch where I can stumble home from the Keyhole again but we will probably move to a slightly bigger house first.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »
For real, don't move. I know absolutely nothing about your situation but I guarantee you don't need a bigger place.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 10:17:33 AM »
oh eff, didn't even think about the glass crap.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »
oh eff, didn't even think about the glass crap.

You don't even need to think about that crap. That is what the pros are for.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »
For real, don't move. I know absolutely nothing about your situation but I guarantee you don't need a bigger place.

more the neighborhood.  Rental house popped up next door, no kids etc.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 10:22:47 AM »
I don't know where Cire is located in JoCo, but if you want your kids to have other kids to play with on your street heading South or West is almost a must.  The one exception are the neighborhoods in the SM East district but those houses have a significant premium.  The Shawnee Mission school district keeps closing elementary and middle schools in old OP and Shawnee - Hell, most of the Sunflower league is 5A now.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 10:24:45 AM »
I don't know where Cire is located in JoCo, but if you want your kids to have other kids to play with on your street heading South or West is almost a must.  The one exception are the neighborhoods in the SM East district but those houses have a significant premium.  The Shawnee Mission school district keeps closing elementary and middle schools in old OP and Shawnee - Hell, most of the Sunflower league is 5A now.

Olathe, right near Olathe South, want to stay in that area, friends with kids are in the same place.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »
How much time do you have, and how much is your time worth to you?

I'm a cheap bastard, so I often put the grunt work in to make/save a few bucks. Before you list your house, have a massive garage sale. If you have any relatively valuable things for sale, list them on Craigslist separately from the garage sale (people bargain harder for items if they're pooled in with a bunch of other crap at a garage sale).

Them take everything you don't sell to Goodwill for the tax deduction. Decluttering makes the home easier to sell and makes the move cheaper.

Hire a mover for the furniture, but you can save a lot of money boxing up the little stuff yourself. Check big box stores like Wal-Mart etc. for tons of empty boxes.

As for location, look south and west. I'd get the hell out of Olathe and move to the Blue Valley school district.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 10:29:10 AM »
home will be empty except for staging furniture, everything else will be out.  Either renting a townhome or moving in with mom until new place is found.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: moving
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »

more the neighborhood.  Rental house popped up next door, no kids etc.

Wut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »
If you haven't even found a new place yet, then how do you know you are moving in January?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 10:42:10 AM »
The older neighborhoods of JoCo are so much better than the new garbage.   

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 10:42:44 AM »
T's&P's Cire, going through this crap right now.  Three of my buddies just moved and I helped so I have some personal capital built up.  I do like the sound of $450 for just he big stuff though.  Will have to get Mrs Emo to research.