Author Topic: The Official Bracketology Thread  (Read 379422 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bracketology Thread
« Reply #2325 on: March 06, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »
Counting tier wins is a stupid and lazy way to do this.

That may be, but when I look at it I try to use the same criteria as the committee to see where we are compared to the field. Doesn't matter if I like it or not.

the 40 spot difference in RPI has nothing to do with quad/tier/away records. TCU has 12 top 100 wins, KSU has 9. TCU's SOS is #7, KSU's is #77.

however, based on the quad/tier/away records, there is no way they should be 4 seeds better. those are VERY similar resumes, as far as the seeding procedure is concerned.
the committee must factor NCSOS stronger than we all think (TCU 42, KSU 326)

Yes they are, and that is the criteria the committee is talking about.

As to point 2, we don't know that for sure, but we do know that the bracketologists do.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2326 on: March 06, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »
Actually Sparty is 3/5 on Q1-Q2 (8 total)

Sorry, I can't make you happy FSD. I actually have them as a 3 seed (#10 overall). I do think they are a top 4-5 team on eye test, but seeding isn't about eye tests.

Check your eyes, bro.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: March 06, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »
Counting tier wins is a stupid and lazy way to do this.

That may be, but when I look at it I try to use the same criteria as the committee to see where we are compared to the field. Doesn't matter if I like it or not.

the 40 spot difference in RPI has nothing to do with quad/tier/away records. TCU has 12 top 100 wins, KSU has 9. TCU's SOS is #7, KSU's is #77.

however, based on the quad/tier/away records, there is no way they should be 4 seeds better. those are VERY similar resumes, as far as the seeding procedure is concerned.
the committee must factor NCSOS stronger than we all think (TCU 42, KSU 326)

Yes they are, and that is the criteria the committee is talking about.

As to point 2, we don't know that for sure, but we do know that the bracketologists do.

Yeah, it's no coincidence that Gene has highlighted the non con as a needed improvement going forward.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: March 06, 2018, 02:36:52 PM »
looks like FSD is really going to hold your guys feet to the fire over this MSU misseeding

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: March 06, 2018, 05:04:01 PM »
Damn skippy. Here's hoping MSU gets out of the first round.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: March 06, 2018, 08:17:56 PM »
Another reason to feel confident is that there is no track record of us getting screwed so we shouldn't even worry about it I don't know why I'm bringing it up 20/10/4 169/170 #RIPHuggs

Tech deserved it over us. Our resume just wasn't that good.

KSU 2007 quality wins:
@ 25 UT
Neutral 39 USC
@ 63 Mizzou
58 OU
63 Mizzou
Neutral 71 Tech
82 NU

Tech 2007 quality wins:
@ 7 aTm
5 KU
7 aTm
@ 42 Arkansas
@ 57 KSU
58 OU
74 OSU

Why settle for last at-large when first (to get left out) is available?

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: March 06, 2018, 09:11:38 PM »
OU KState along with Fsu, NC st, St Bony, Creighton, butler are all safely in no matter what. Most if not everyone in the group won't even fall to be in the Dayton games.

10 teams below. 8 spots still not 100% secured IMO. Group A teams are in better shape.

Group A-
Texas
Arizona St
USC
Ucla

Group B-
Marquette
Alabama
Providence
Baylor
Syracuse
Ok St

St Mary's and Louisville are 2 teams I thought have been over seeded for several weeks by the Bracket Matrix.  Neither are in group B. Louisville winning their 8/9 matchup won't be enough. I feel they need to also beat Virginia.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: March 07, 2018, 09:28:53 AM »
i like most of his thinking, but not his emphasis on subjective, almost aesthetic judgements and modifiers of a team's achievements.  certainly they should not over-emphasize a single game, but the idea of almost discounting a team's best win because they hit a lot of threes or whatever is simply inappropriate.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Official Bracketology Thread
« Reply #2334 on: March 07, 2018, 10:36:40 AM »
It’s a fair critique, but I think if he had the chance to clarify he’d say he doesn’t mean that discounts their win, but that he just doesn’t view it equally with a win against the same team if they held a comfortable lead the entire game for example.

I certainly feel like K-State is a lock for a bye with some his feelings about rewarding teams who win the games they’re supposed to.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: March 07, 2018, 10:42:21 AM »
It’s a fair critique, but I think if he had the chance to clarify he’d say he doesn’t mean that discounts their win, but that he just doesn’t view it equally with a win against the same team if they held a comfortable lead the entire game for example.

I certainly feel like K-State is a lock for a bye with some his feelings about rewarding teams who win the games they’re supposed to.

Yeah, most of what he said fairs well for K-State. We lack the big win vs a top 20 team (obviously) that he mentioned, but everything else was good for us considering our resume. For example, they would sort of discount our worst loss to Tulsa based on an unusually poor 3PT shooting night.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: March 07, 2018, 10:55:37 AM »
he just doesn’t view it equally with a win against the same team if they held a comfortable lead the entire game for example.

it should be viewed equally.  the achievement is the same.  as i've argued before, i don't think it is justifiable to for reviewers to try to judge the quality of team, only of a team's achievements.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: March 07, 2018, 11:21:01 AM »
Well whether it should be viewed equally or not is itself a judgment call. I can see where you’re coming from but I don’t think the approach he’s endorsing is really wrong.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: March 07, 2018, 12:19:55 PM »
why even play the games?  just parade them around in bathing suits and award the seeds based on which team displays the most finely toned abdomens and most welcoming smiles.

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: March 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM »
KState is always going to be underseeded.  Hell, the Cats could go 25-5 and win the league next year then get a #2 seed.  It's partially because no one will take Weber seriously because he sounds like Marge Simpson when talking.
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: March 07, 2018, 01:25:40 PM »
KState is always going to be underseeded.  Hell, the Cats could go 25-5 and win the league next year then get a #2 seed.  It's partially because no one will take Weber seriously because he sounds like Marge Simpson when talking.

Another person trying to put some of the fault on Weber, when he has nothing to do with it.

For the most part, Ksu has got seeded where I thought they would. Last year, 2014, 2010, 2012 were exactly where I thought.  Beasley's year I thought we deserved better than a 11.  Pullen's senior year I thought we would get a 6 and got a 5.  McGruder's senior year, I thought we had a shot at a 3, but got a 4

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: March 07, 2018, 02:55:05 PM »
i like most of his thinking, but not his emphasis on subjective, almost aesthetic judgements and modifiers of a team's achievements.  certainly they should not over-emphasize a single game, but the idea of almost discounting a team's best win because they hit a lot of threes or whatever is simply inappropriate.

Agreed. Although something like injuries should be accounted for, e.g., beating Notre Dame in Nov (like MSU did) when they were awesome should be a tier1 compared to beating the shell of notre dame in Jan (tier 2 or 3).

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: March 07, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »
KU should get less credit for beating UT wo Bamba and Davis, than we do for beating them with both.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: March 07, 2018, 03:21:22 PM »

Another person trying to put some of the fault on Weber, when he has nothing to do with it.

For the most part, Ksu has got seeded where I thought they would. Last year, 2014, 2010, 2012 were exactly where I thought. Beasley's year I thought we deserved better than a 11.  Pullen's senior year I thought we would get a 6 and got a 5. McGruder's senior year, I thought we had a shot at a 3, but got a 4
those seeds were about selling tickets

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: March 07, 2018, 03:42:46 PM »
FSU lost. NC st Lost. 
Matrix had them #34 #35 (and Cats #38)
I had them 1 and 2 spots ahead of us

Beat Tcu and I think it's almost a given we are in 8 vs 9 game at worst

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: March 07, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »
FSU lost. NC st Lost. 

I'd rather be a 10, or win a bunch and get to a 7. I don't want anything with a 8/9 game.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: March 07, 2018, 03:50:57 PM »
FSU lost. NC st Lost. 

I'd rather be a 10, or win a bunch and get to a 7. I don't want anything with a 8/9 game.
This is why I barely care about our seed right now. A 7 vs a 10 seed? Meh, theoretically we play an easier opponent as a 7, but really we all know it's more about matchups than seed when we're talking about those seeds. And yes, would rather be a 10 than an 8 or 9. With 6 out of reach, it's hard to care too much.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: March 07, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
I agree it's about the matchup.

What I really don't want to happen is for us to lose to TCU and end up being a 11 seed (#41-42). Now we'd still avoid the Dayton games (#43-46).   I personally think a 10 seed (#37-40) is the worst we will do, but a 11 seed could happen.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: March 07, 2018, 04:42:04 PM »
ASU just lost to Colorado  :dunno:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: March 07, 2018, 05:08:03 PM »
ASU just lost to Colorado  :dunno:
Wasn't barely losing to them our best accomplishment in the non-con?
:adios: