Author Topic: alcohol  (Read 93344 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: alcohol
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »
def in sys's bubbly drink camp

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2012, 08:30:29 PM »
You guys should join the foreign service.

i've thought about it.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »
What do you drink?  My guess is pulque in a dark room with rodents.

mostly red wine and sparkling wines.  still whites on occasion, but really, if you want a white, it's better to have bubbles than not.  also cider, preferably w. bubbles, but it's a little hard to get decent cider in the us.

i can drink beer or mixed drinks if i have to, but if wine is available, i usually don't.

you handled that really well.  I retract my insult.  Should we start a new wine thread so we can discuss this more or should we just take this thread over with wine recommendos back and forth.  Of course mine will be over priced and the availability will be crap, but I would like to hear about yours.

One recent wine that I liked alot:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »
when someone tells me they only drink beer i want to hit them in the face.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2012, 09:10:05 PM »
I retract my insult.  Should we start a new wine thread so we can discuss this more or should we just take this thread over with wine recommendos back and forth.

i didn't notice an insult.

i don't like malbecs.  or at least i haven't really liked any malbecs i've tried.  haven't tried a bunch.  not a big fan of anything south american really.

big fan of grenache and grenache blends, mostly spanish and french.  nothing high alcohol%.  also lightweight italians, don't know the grapes.  mostly cava on the sparkling side, vinho verde in the summer,  prosseco and french, but usually just when i see something that looks like a good deal.  cava usually has a better price/quality ratio.

i also drink a lot of cheap wine, just cause it's cheap.

i can name a few brands, etc. if those taste profiles sound something like yours.  keep in mind i'm cheap.  i'm not going to give you great wine recs.  but i can recommend good wines at good prices.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2012, 09:29:22 PM »

I have been to a couple parties at Gracehill Winery and this stuff really hit the spot. 

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »
Definitely will steve dave. Hard to stop at one. If I have one, I am at bare minimum going to four. Which is exactly why I don't ever drink at lunch (except for chicagoPAK).

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2012, 09:32:42 PM »
Definitely will steve dave. Hard to stop at one. If I have one, I am at bare minimum going to four. Which is exactly why I don't ever drink at lunch (except for chicagoPAK).
you and I killed some waters though

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2012, 09:34:04 PM »
you and I killed some waters though

Yeah, I basically have the same rule for glasses of water. If I have one, I'm having at bare minimum, four.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2012, 09:57:41 PM »
I retract my insult.  Should we start a new wine thread so we can discuss this more or should we just take this thread over with wine recommendos back and forth.

i didn't notice an insult.

i don't like malbecs.  or at least i haven't really liked any malbecs i've tried.  haven't tried a bunch.  not a big fan of anything south american really.

big fan of grenache and grenache blends, mostly spanish and french.  nothing high alcohol%.  also lightweight italians, don't know the grapes.  mostly cava on the sparkling side, vinho verde in the summer,  prosseco and french, but usually just when i see something that looks like a good deal.  cava usually has a better price/quality ratio.

i also drink a lot of cheap wine, just cause it's cheap.

i can name a few brands, etc. if those taste profiles sound something like yours.  keep in mind i'm cheap.  i'm not going to give you great wine recs.  but i can recommend good wines at good prices.

Wife and I like reds in this order:

1) malbec
2) grenache
3) cabarnet
4) italian genovese
5) pinot noir

whites:

1) cava/champagne/sparkling
2) pinot grigio
3) dry Riesling/ice wine

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2012, 10:07:29 PM »
we are pretty compatible drinkers, kat kid.

this is one of my go tos.  6.99 at trader joes.

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1283169

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2012, 11:19:58 PM »
couple of weekend's ago i drank about 9 beers at my friend erik's house while his parents were out of town.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kstate16

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2012, 12:35:37 AM »
For some reason, I really like the taste of Keystone Light.  Like, I have the money to buy whatever, but I just love the stuff. Probably the reason my hangovers are so rough ridin' bad.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »
For some reason, I really like the taste of Keystone Light.  Like, I have the money to buy whatever, but I just love the stuff. Probably the reason my hangovers are so rough ridin' bad.

I'm like that with Scotch. I really like some of the more expensive brands, but also like a few of the cheap brands. So I buy the cheap...but don't detect any differences in hangovers.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2012, 01:05:14 AM »

I'm like that with Scotch. I really like some of the more expensive brands, but also like a few of the cheap brands. So I buy the cheap...but don't detect any differences in hangovers.

I've given this spiel a handful of times and probably have on this board, but scotch is the only alcohol where I can take a sip of a $50 bottle and a sip of a $250 bottle and say "Yup, this $250 bottle taste about 5x better". No way I could do that with wine. A $5 bottle and $2000 bottle would taste identical to me. Sometimes I can do it with beer, but most of that comes from buying a fancy looking 750ml bottle, not necessarily the taste. Gin, possibly, but I've never had a bottle of gin that cost more than $60 so I wouldn't know for sure.

Scotch, man. What a beverage.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
alcohol
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2012, 02:42:42 AM »
I like really dry wines. Red or white. I don't know anything about wine other than I don't like sweet wines, except Sangria made with brandy and cinnamon. 
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2012, 05:30:31 AM »
when someone tells me they only drink beer i want to hit them in the face.
    :shakesfist:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2012, 09:18:39 AM »
i am binging my face off.   big time

I use google still.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »
Not a big wine connoissour but I'll have some merlot and other red wines from time to time.

My go to wine is

Good stuff  :drink:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »
big, buttery chardonnay
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »
I know next to nothing about wine, but I prefer Merlot and sometimes Cabernet because many other wines seem more like juice for children than like real wine to me.  It's not a macho thing, just my idea about what wine is supposed to taste like.  I acknowledge that this view may be totally unreasonable. 

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »
Wine, like beer, is dead to me.  I don't like scotch either.  Vodka and water.  That's it.  If I drink, I'm getting drunk.  It is strictly an all or nothing proposition. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
It is strictly an all or nothing proposition.

:thumbs:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
alcohol
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2012, 10:45:43 AM »
Wine, like beer, is dead to me.  I don't like scotch either.  Vodka and water.  That's it.  If I drink, I'm getting drunk.  It is strictly an all or nothing proposition.

I like Knob Creek with whiskey stones. When I am losing my crap at 5 am local time during the Fiesta Bowl, this will be why.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »
Saturday feels like a good day for binge drinking in the Cancun of the midwest with family. That's what Christmas is all about you guys.