Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 230005 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: book reccomendations
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 01:47:03 PM »
i'll start w/ kk's list and go from there.

blatant post count discrimination.

You know what would've helped?  responding to his question, not your need to show off elite books you've read.  krusty is a simple man, he needs to be eased in, not raped by bourroghs and bowles.

:frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 01:49:37 PM »
Empire Falls was the first book mentioned AND I have the most posts  :blank:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 01:51:50 PM »
i didn't take your post as a recommendation though. just that you were currently reading it. this makes mine the first obvious rec and michigancat is blatently in my face disregarding it. 

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »
i'll start w/ kk's list and go from there.

blatant post count discrimination.

You know what would've helped?  responding to his question, not your need to show off elite books you've read.  krusty is a simple man, he needs to be eased in, not raped by bourroghs and bowles.

GTFO. i simply made recommendations based on his category. recommendations on what I think are the true great american works. if he wants to read pedantic, everyday, highschool crap then let him go ahead: read faulkner, read fitsgerald, read the boring steinbeck works, read the easy hemmingway. he's not a child.

judging by his taste in music i think he would enjoy most, if not all of those books. if i wanted to show off i would have actually answered his question, instead of referring him to a bunch of american contemporary classics.

side bar: you are the one who suggested hunter s. which i agree with, but you opened up the flood gates.

krusty, if you are going to read thompson please read The Rum Diary first. k thx.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 02:01:51 PM »
No, the classics should be read first.  The other stuff only if you have way too much time on your hands.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 02:03:52 PM »
No, the classics should be read first.  The other stuff only if you have way too much time on your hands.

then read emerson, thoreau*, poe, melville.

forgot about the fiction requirement.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 02:07:05 PM by asava »

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 02:11:32 PM »
Does it have to be early American?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »
you could only read 20th century American "classics" and have a hell of a long reading list.  I agree on rum diaries, I didn't read it first but it works better probably.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »

no.  I'm really flexible.  I just though American fiction would be a nice place to start.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »

no.  I'm really flexible.  I just though American fiction would be a nice place to start.

FRANKENSTEIN!!!  :curse: :angry:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 02:29:11 PM »
I enjoyed the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson.  Its pretty new though.

I would also highly recommend the following American Fiction

Cloudsplitter (its about John Brown, but fiction) by Russell Banks
The Sotweed Factor (very funny book) by John Barth (I have read almost all of his stuff an like it, but this is his best)
The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood (she Canadian though!)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 03:03:40 PM »
Roman Blood is a crime mystery based on Cicero's first big case that gets him noticed.

hey, i think that's one i read!  maybe i read three of those.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 03:06:47 PM »
read the easy hemmingway.

reading hemmingway is funny.  that guy got away with murder.  like some modern artist that everyone thinks is a genius, but 50 years later is revealed to be an elephant.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline PurpleScarf

• Fan
  • Wheeee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 03:07:34 PM »
GTFO. i simply made recommendations based on his category. recommendations on what I think are the true great american works. if he wants to read pedantic, everyday, highschool crap then let him go ahead: read faulkner, read fitsgerald, read the boring steinbeck works, read the easy hemmingway. he's not a child.

judging by his taste in music i think he would enjoy most, if not all of those books. if i wanted to show off i would have actually answered his question, instead of referring him to a bunch of american contemporary classics.

side bar: you are the one who suggested hunter s. which i agree with, but you opened up the flood gates.

krusty, if you are going to read thompson please read The Rum Diary first. k thx.

LMAO. Asava just because you got slapped by the hipster dick doesn't mean michigancat has to as well. Nothing pedestrian about Faulkner, though I do agree with you on Steinbeck. But some things are considered classics or popular for a reason, so get over it- just because it's not Bukowski doesn't mean it's not worth reading.

Other good stuff to try would be  Beloved by Toni Morrison, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, Cane by Jean Toomer, or The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro if you feel like moving out of the American stuff.
My sister Stheno says I "verily personify the terrors of the sea" and would be a "real catch" for any man with half a brain.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 03:08:06 PM »
read the easy hemmingway.

reading hemmingway is funny.  that guy got away with murder.  like some modern artist that everyone thinks is a genius, but 50 years later is revealed to be an elephant.

or warhol

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »
Other good stuff to try would be  Beloved by Toni Morrison, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, Cane by Jean Toomer, or The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro if you feel like moving out of the American stuff.

great author, but her worst book.  great book.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 03:11:58 PM »
Most of these fracking suggestions are just to try and show how fancy pantsy these dumb fracks are.

I have a suggestion for you.  I heard of this book when listening to the Tony Kornheiser show...he told the listeners that if they bought this book and read it, he'd refund their money if they didn't like it.  I bought it and I read it.  One of the best fracking books I have ever read.  

You will say "holy crap" aloud as you read this book prolly 50 times.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:20:04 PM by Pete »

Offline PurpleScarf

• Fan
  • Wheeee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 03:12:25 PM »

great author, but her worst book.  great book.

Which Morrison do you prefer more? I don't know if Beloved is her best, but I think it or Song of Solomon are good intros to the way she writes.

My sister Stheno says I "verily personify the terrors of the sea" and would be a "real catch" for any man with half a brain.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 03:13:18 PM »

The Federalist Papers

any of the Vince Flynn books with Mitch Rapp as the main character.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »
I have a suggestion for you....

stephen hunter is really good.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2010, 03:14:33 PM »
Rusty:  Winds of War / War and Rememberance by Hermen Wouk <!!!!!!

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 03:17:18 PM »

LMAO. Asava just because you got slapped by the hipster dick doesn't mean michigancat has to as well. Nothing pedestrian about Faulkner, though I do agree with you on Steinbeck. But some things are considered classics or popular for a reason, so get over it- just because it's not Bukowski doesn't mean it's not worth reading.

i believe we were intended to stay in america, guy. so nabokov is out, so is Ishiguro. if you really wanted to have that discussion i would blow your world apart with so many french, czech, japanese, and russian authors you would have crap yourself. if we wanted to drift away from fiction i would further drink your milkshake.

and bukowski is about the only "hipster" author i mentioned, and i didn't place him above or below any of the others. the rest are fairly tested american literary giants. so don't tee off on one author i mentioned just because modest mouse made a shitty song about him. and just because a bunch of kids in skinny jeans started reading an author doesn't discredit his work. his prose is one of the best of his generation, but his poetry is where its at.

gtfo

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »
Which Morrison do you prefer more? I don't know if Beloved is her best, but I think it or Song of Solomon are good intros to the way she writes.

i loved song of solomon. one of the better books i ever read.  kinda weird that you'd link beloved and sos, 'cause to me those are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of morrison quality.

1.  sos
2.  tar baby
3.  bluest eye.
4.  blank to indicate a substantial gap in quality
5.  sula
6.  haven't liked anything else she's written

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2010, 03:21:01 PM »

i believe we were intended to stay in america, guy. so nabokov is out, so is Ishiguro. if you really wanted to have that discussion i would blow your world apart with so many french, czech, japanese, and russian authors you would have crap yourself. if we wanted to drift away from fiction i would further drink your milkshake.

and bukowski is about the only "hipster" author i mentioned, and i didn't place him above or below any of the others. the rest are fairly tested american literary giants. so don't tee off on one author i mentioned just because modest mouse made a shitty song about him. and just because a bunch of kids in skinny jeans started reading an author doesn't discredit his work. his prose is one of the best of his generation, but his poetry is where its at.

gtfo
:bwpopcorn:

Offline PurpleScarf

• Fan
  • Wheeee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2010, 03:31:39 PM »

gtfo

Please, by all means, try to blow my world apart. I'm ready. If you want to limit Nabokov to being just a Russian author, do so at your own preference. I'm pretty sure most people consider him a little bit of everything.

You talk like a hipster, you drop books like a hipster, and you act like you can drop your little world lit knowledge bombs on the rest of us like a hipster. I'm going to call you out for it, especially when you sound like you don't know what the eff you're talking about. You can get the eff out, little boy, if you can't deal with it.

We'll see in the course of time how Bukowski turns out. For now, he suffers from the reputation that assholes like you like him, so maybe he isn't all that great.

I am more than willing to suggest or stick to American lit, but it seems like everyone else had some good stuff to suggest, and I didn't want to repeat. And michigancat also noted that American lit was just where he wanted to start, not completely limit suggestions.