Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 4548 times)

Sugar Dick

Jobs
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:48:53 AM »
Weekly initial jobless claims  rose by 12,000 to 500,000, versus last week's figure which was upwardly revised by 4,000 to 488,000, and compared to the consensus estimate of economists surveyed by Bloomberg, which called for claims to decrease to 478,000. The four-week moving average, considered a smoother look at the trend in claims, increased by 8,000 to 482,500, while continuing claims fell by 13,000 to 4,478,000, compared to the 4,500,000 that was anticipated by economists. Treasuries pared losses and are nearly unchanged following the report.

Just think if Obama wasn't saving or creating this number would probably be a bazillion.

Seriously, the sooner this dolt is gone the better.  He and his policy wonks have made this recession a depression.

This guy would have been a better choice for president

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:38:20 AM »
Weekly initial jobless claims  rose by 12,000 to 500,000, versus last week's figure which was upwardly revised by 4,000 to 488,000, and compared to the consensus estimate of economists surveyed by Bloomberg, which called for claims to decrease to 478,000. The four-week moving average, considered a smoother look at the trend in claims, increased by 8,000 to 482,500, while continuing claims fell by 13,000 to 4,478,000, compared to the 4,500,000 that was anticipated by economists. Treasuries pared losses and are nearly unchanged following the report.

Just think if Obama wasn't saving or creating this number would probably be a bazillion.

Seriously, the sooner this dolt is gone the better.  He and his policy wonks have made this recession a depression.

Odd that we can be in a recession when GDP is growing.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 10:51:04 AM »
Weekly initial jobless claims  rose by 12,000 to 500,000, versus last week's figure which was upwardly revised by 4,000 to 488,000, and compared to the consensus estimate of economists surveyed by Bloomberg, which called for claims to decrease to 478,000. The four-week moving average, considered a smoother look at the trend in claims, increased by 8,000 to 482,500, while continuing claims fell by 13,000 to 4,478,000, compared to the 4,500,000 that was anticipated by economists. Treasuries pared losses and are nearly unchanged following the report.

Seriously, the sooner this dolt is gone the better.  He and his policy wonks have made this recession a depression.

Odd that we can be in a recession when GDP is growing.

Not when the government spending accounts for $3+ trillion of GDP.  I guess we could have boom times if they'd just ratchet that up a bit.

Online 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:35:35 AM »
 :facepalm:

Sugar Dick

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 12:00:02 PM »
:facepalm:

The basic formula for calculating the GDP is:

Y = C + I + E + G

where

Y = GDP

C = Consumer Spending

I = Investment made by industry

E = Excess of Exports over Imports

G = Government Spending

Online 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 01:44:29 PM »
I know how GDP is calculated. The  :facepalm: was for the fact that you want to discount growth in current GDP because the federal government's spending as a percentage of GDP with the stimulus included is about the same as it was in 1985. Who was president then? Must have been a Democrat.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 02:00:43 PM »
I know how GDP is calculated. The  :facepalm: was for the fact that you want to discount growth in current GDP because the federal government's spending as a percentage of GDP with the stimulus included is about the same as it was in 1985. Who was president then? Must have been a Democrat.

irrelevant and obscure

economy is in the shitter and has been for 24 ;"?3$-

Online 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 02:26:58 PM »
I realize that 1985 may be obscure because it was 10 years before you were born, but it does help to have some historical perspective when you want to start dismissing GDP numbers because you don't like the person in the White House. The point is neither obscure nor irrelevant.

Of course it's a terrible economy, that's usually when government spending rises as a percentage of GDP because spending and investment decrease while government spending remains flat or increases.

And while spending is increasing at the federal level, state and local governments are slashing their budgets left and right, essentially negating the increased spending of the federal government. Imports are also outpacing exports so that means that most of the anemic recovery is now being driven by private spending and private investment, which is why GDP growth is stalling and some believe a second recession is coming.

And things are going to remain shitty for the foreseeable future. The best case scenario is slow, incremental GDP growth with high unemployment for the next five years. There's simply too much idle industrial capacity and excess commercial and residential real estate for the economy to snap back no matter who's in the White House. It also doesn't help that wages will remain stagnant over the next five years as well.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:37:52 PM »
A few things:
Your facts are not accurate.
Comparing Keynsian spending to tax cuts is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).
We weren't in a recession in 85.
GDP isn't the only way to measure a recession.
I'm not 15 d-bag

Your psycho babble does nothing to dispell what a crappy job Obama and crew are doing with the economy.  You don't actually think he's dping a good job do you?

what has all this spending gotten us?

Online 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 06:52:11 PM »
A few things:
Comparing Keynsian spending to tax cuts is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).
I'm not 15 d-bag

Your psycho babble does nothing to dispell what a crappy job Obama and crew are doing with the economy.  You don't actually think he's dping a good job do you?

Kept us from the joyous life that Ireland is suffering through right now. You know the country that was so sexy to Republicans in 2008 for its low corporate taxes and implemented severe austerity measures at the beginning of the global recession? Yep, its economy is still shrinking instead of growing, which means the austerity measures aren't really helping pay off the country's debt.

Please explain my psycho babble. You're right, you're not 15. Most teenagers can understand the concepts that I outlined above, and most can understand that those didn't just happen when Obama was elected, rather they are the process of systemic failures in both the government and private sector.

As for Obama's job approval, he's done some things well and some not so well. The difference is, I can differentiate between what it is he actually controls.

So what measure do you want to use to define a recession besides GDP, you know after you spent the better part of the afternoon deciding that you don't like using that since A. It shows the economy growing and B. GDP is going up with the help of private sector activity.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »
All Bush's fault

Sugar Dick

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 09:27:23 AM »
A few things:
I'm not 15 d-bag

Kept us from the joyous life that Ireland is suffering through right now. You know the country that was so sexy to Republicans in 2008 for its low corporate taxes and implemented severe austerity measures at the beginning of the global recession? Yep, its economy is still shrinking instead of growing, which means the austerity measures aren't really helping pay off the country's debt.

Please explain my psycho babble. You're right, you're not 15. Most teenagers can understand the concepts that I outlined above, and most can understand that those didn't just happen when Obama was elected, rather they are the process of systemic failures in both the government and private sector.

As for Obama's job approval, he's done some things well and some not so well. The difference is, I can differentiate between what it is he actually controls.

So what measure do you want to use to define a recession besides GDP, you know after you spent the better part of the afternoon deciding that you don't like using that since A. It shows the economy growing and B. GDP is going up with the help of private sector activity.

FACT:  Govt spending as a percent of GDP is the highest ever (approx. 20% higher than in 1985)

FACT:  This is the slowest job rebound after a recession EVER (if you consider its over) (source:  the economist)

I understand your unwavering support for BObama, but there's no need to get in a hissy and start insulting.  Making up facts (aka Lying) and comparing our economy to Ireland only hurts your case.  The bird drinking water, could have and would have done a better job creating jobs and pulling the US out of the recession faster.

Thanks for the kinder-school lecture on how the government tries to help the economy when times are bad.  I just find it EXTRAORDINARY and REMARKABLE for an administration to spend one thousand billion dollars on the economy and effectuate such a small impact.  Hiring people at $12 an hour to burn the money may have been more efficient.  Oh, and in case you didn't know, that money has to be paid back, which will harm the economy at said time (which I guess you people think is never). 

But hey, the BObaba's own budget has the deficit increasing 2.5x through 2018, so I guess he doesn't expect times to get better while he's around (at least we'll still have that GDP number!!!).  Then we can start making real comparisons, like comparing the US to countries like Greece and Spain.

Online 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »
A few things:
I'm not 15 d-bag

FACT:  Govt spending as a percent of GDP is the highest ever (approx. 20% higher than in 1985)

FACT:  This is the slowest job rebound after a recession EVER (if you consider its over) (source:  the economist)

I understand your unwavering support for BObama, but there's no need to get in a hissy and start insulting.  Making up facts (aka Lying) and comparing our economy to Ireland only hurts your case.  The bird drinking water, could have and would have done a better job creating jobs and pulling the US out of the recession faster.

Thanks for the kinder-school lecture on how the government tries to help the economy when times are bad.  I just find it EXTRAORDINARY and REMARKABLE for an administration to spend one thousand billion dollars on the economy and effectuate such a small impact.  Hiring people at $12 an hour to burn the money may have been more efficient.  Oh, and in case you didn't know, that money has to be paid back, which will harm the economy at said time (which I guess you people think is never). 

But hey, the BObaba's own budget has the deficit increasing 2.5x through 2018, so I guess he doesn't expect times to get better while he's around (at least we'll still have that GDP number!!!).  Then we can start making real comparisons, like comparing the US to countries like Greece and Spain.

JFC you're a glutton for punishment. Your first fact is actually false. TOTAL government spending accounts for about 45 percent of GDP currently, which is the point you were trying to make, which is asinine when referencing Obama's spending. The federal government's spending in relation to GDP is about 23 percent. Regardless, spending by all governments was about 55 percent of GDP during the Great Depression, so the government response has actually been less than that taken during the 1930s.

And again, slow job growth is to be expected due to the type of bubble that caused this recession. At it's peak, the construction industry from builders of skyscrapers to Home Depot employees employed about 20 percent of the workforce. This has also been one of the areas hardest hit by the recession and there's a huge glut of homes and commercial real estate available and it isn't selling. Obviously those construction jobs are going to be coming back any day now because obviously construction companies are going to keep building homes and office complexes for non-existant buyers.

Yes, the money borrowed will have to be paid back, just like Bush's tax cuts were actually tax deferments since the Republican Congress never actually cut spending. What's that? More than a third of the stimulus bill was tax cuts? Impossible, that's the only way to stimulate the economy.

Yes, $1 trillion sounds like a lot. Should have a huge impact right? Well, I'll be generous and use $1 trillion since it will help your argument. That's about 7 percent of GDP. Or less than 1 month's output by the U.S. And a good chunk of that hasn't even been spent and it was doled out too slowly to really make much of a difference. I don't know, maybe you bought a new house with the extra $4/week your tax cut got you.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:57 PM »
A few things:
I'm not 15 d-bag

JFC you're a glutton for punishment. Your first fact is actually false. TOTAL government spending accounts for about 45 percent of GDP currently, which is the point you were trying to make, which is asinine when referencing Obama's spending. The federal government's spending in relation to GDP is about 23 percent. Regardless, spending by all governments was about 55 percent of GDP during the Great Depression, so the government response has actually been less than that taken during the 1930s.

And again, slow job growth is to be expected due to the type of bubble that caused this recession. At it's peak, the construction industry from builders of skyscrapers to Home Depot employees employed about 20 percent of the workforce. This has also been one of the areas hardest hit by the recession and there's a huge glut of homes and commercial real estate available and it isn't selling. Obviously those construction jobs are going to be coming back any day now because obviously construction companies are going to keep building homes and office complexes for non-existant buyers.

Yes, the money borrowed will have to be paid back, just like Bush's tax cuts were actually tax deferments since the Republican Congress never actually cut spending. What's that? More than a third of the stimulus bill was tax cuts? Impossible, that's the only way to stimulate the economy.

Yes, $1 trillion sounds like a lot. Should have a huge impact right? Well, I'll be generous and use $1 trillion since it will help your argument. That's about 7 percent of GDP. Or less than 1 month's output by the U.S. And a good chunk of that hasn't even been spent and it was doled out too slowly to really make much of a difference. I don't know, maybe you bought a new house with the extra $4/week your tax cut got you.

There you go again with the lies and misstatements.  Even during the depression, government spending never exceeded 30%.  The only time government spending was higher than it is now was during WW2 when we had every single resource in this country devoted to beating the Axis, not spending money on green energy, welfare, and pork.  Government spending certainly is higher NOW than it was during 1985 as YOU originally stated. 

Slow job growth was NOT expected.  Dumbstick Obama and his econ clowns said unemployment would never get higher than 8%, EPIC FAIL.  Job growth hasn't been slow, it's been nonexistent.  The stimulus was supposed to save the construction industry with the "shovel read projects" and homebuyer tax credit, EPIC FAIL.  Nothing he has said would happen has happened and now he's running around saying he saved the economy out of a ditch or something.

You can type paragraph after paragraph of surplusage to try and distract the issue or make excuses for your terrible president.  I would too if the facts weren't on my side.  Although it seems like the more you type the more you come around to my side of the argument.   :cheers:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 09:20:09 PM »
Serious question, for the amount of the stimulus why NOT just hire a ton of unemployed people for $15/HR?  Seems we could hire everyone who is unemployed, right?

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 09:34:25 PM »
Serious question, for the amount of the stimulus why NOT just hire a ton of unemployed people for $15/HR?  Seems we could hire everyone who is unemployed, right?

To do what?  Sit on their butts?

Oh wait... we do.  It's called unemployment.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 09:36:04 PM »

Do some CCC crap.  Clean.  Mow.  Whatever they are qualified to do.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 09:38:15 PM »
Serious question, for the amount of the stimulus why NOT just hire a ton of unemployed people for $15/HR?  Seems we could hire everyone who is unemployed, right?

You realize that by asking this 06Wildcat is going to:
- type 200 words explaining stuff you already know, then
- insult you, then
- lie about how Reagan or some other repub did the same thing, then
- say he wished things were better but knew this would happen,
and never answer your simple, honest question.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 09:41:21 PM »

Do some CCC crap.  Clean.  Mow.  Whatever they are qualified to do.

Racist.  Why do you want those poor, downtrodden undocumented workers to lose their jobs?  They are people and have rights, too, you know.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 09:41:48 PM »
Then I will PI him until he runs his car into a bridge embankment.

Online 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 09:51:07 PM »

That's what a stimulus bill actually is. Republicans wouldn't pass it without more than 1/3 of it being tax cuts.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 09:56:20 PM »

That's what a stimulus bill actually is. Republicans wouldn't pass it without more than 1/3 of it being tax cuts.

Indirectly.  I'm talking about taking that $700 billion (or whatever) and opening an office in each city which interviews and hires people who are unemployed.  Puts them to work doing what every city needs done according to their qualifications.

How many people are currently unemployed?  I would expect this would make a huge dent.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »

Indirectly.  I'm talking about taking that $700 billion (or whatever) and opening an office in each city which interviews and hires people who are unemployed.  Puts them to work doing what every city needs done according to their qualifications.

How many people are currently unemployed?  I would expect this would make a huge dent.

right.  except he isn't emperor so it would have to pass through both houses.

Online 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 10:00:58 PM »
A few things:
I'm not 15 d-bag

There you go again with the lies and misstatements.  Even during the depression, government spending never exceeded 30%.  The only time government spending was higher than it is now was during WW2 when we had every single resource in this country devoted to beating the Axis, not spending money on green energy, welfare, and pork.  Government spending certainly is higher NOW than it was during 1985 as YOU originally stated. 

Slow job growth was NOT expected.  Dumbstick Obama and his econ clowns said unemployment would never get higher than 8%, EPIC FAIL.  Job growth hasn't been slow, it's been nonexistent.  The stimulus was supposed to save the construction industry with the "shovel read projects" and homebuyer tax credit, EPIC FAIL.  Nothing he has said would happen has happened and now he's running around saying he saved the economy out of a ditch or something.

You can type paragraph after paragraph of surplusage to try and distract the issue or make excuses for your terrible president.  I would too if the facts weren't on my side.  Although it seems like the more you type the more you come around to my side of the argument.   :cheers:

You got me, looked at the graph wrong and government spending was about 55 percent of GDP during the height of World War II. Still higher than the ~ 45 percent it is now, which means government spending isn't "Fact: Govt. spending as a percent of GDP is the highest ever."

You also have failed to understand the difference between federal government expenditures (currently about 23 percent of GDP) and total government expenditures (feds, state, local, etc), which is your 45 percent.

Yet you even managed to eff that up by saying it was the highest ever. But you sure got me in your next post by pointing out I was off by a decade.

Online 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 10:05:06 PM »

right.  except he isn't emperor so it would have to pass through both houses.

And it could have cleared the House fairly easily. Zombie Kennedy was still alive when the stimulus passed so Senate Democrats had a super majority and still caved to Republicans like the pussies they are.

The idea of a stimulus is to build crap, mainly infrastructure that lasts like the WPA park in my home town that still uses all the original buildings, including the swimming pool, football stadium, recreational lake etc. Yep, that sure was a huge waste of money since all those things are still being used 80 years later.