Author Topic: Cap and Trade  (Read 2691 times)

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
Cap and Trade
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:57:30 AM »
Someone please show a decent reason why this should be passed?

It doesn't help the environment, plus climategate showed that AGW isn't even real, so please....enlighten me.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
Re: Cap and Trade
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:57:15 AM »
So the investors in the Chicago Climate Exchange can make money?

wetwillie

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:43:10 AM »
I suppose so Al Gore can get a happy ending isn't much of a decent reason...

Offline Goldbrick

• American by birth, Republican by the grace of God
  • Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:55:10 AM »
Climategate didn't show that AGW is not real.

What it did do is ruin the credibility of many of the more important 'scientists' involved with the data behind it and show that science can be easily manipulated, much like anything else that exists.

That doesn't ruin AGW so much as render it much more suspect.

Which is reflected in the public opinion of no longer taking it that seriously.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:48:41 PM »
Pollution is generally viewed as a bad thing, mmmkay.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 02:52:20 PM »
When I hear seomeone say "cap and trade" I hear "Cap'n Trade" like, a pirate.  Kinda lol to myself on the inside about how this pirate must really do well trading his plundered goods across the seven seas or whatever. 

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 02:57:30 PM »
When I hear seomeone say "cap and trade" I hear "Cap'n Trade" like, a pirate.  Kinda lol to myself on the inside about how this pirate must really do well trading his plundered goods across the seven seas or whatever. 
OT: I've heard old people say "I do my tradin' at Quik Trip" before.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »
OT: I've heard old people say "I do my tradin' at Quik Trip" before.

What does that even mean?  Shopping? 

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:19:14 PM »
Climategate didn't show that AGW is not real.

What it did do is ruin the credibility of many of the more important 'scientists' involved with the data behind it and show that science can be easily manipulated, much like anything else that exists.

That doesn't ruin AGW so much as render it much more suspect.

Which is reflected in the public opinion of no longer taking it that seriously.

I think what has ruined AWG is colder temperatures.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:57:58 PM »
Pollution is generally viewed as a bad thing, mmmkay.

Yup.... CO2 is a major pollutant.  Please quit breathing.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 05:57:38 PM »

Arrrr, I'll trade my 5 carbon credits to you so you can pollute more and not help the environment at all

Sugar Dick

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 11:27:52 PM »

It doesn't help the environment, plus climategate showed that AGW isn't even real, so please....enlighten me.

It's a regressive tax on the population ( a tax that affects the poor more adversely than the rich).  The idea is to create more poor people.  That way when the progressives use their class warfare rhetoric it resonates with more people and they get more votes.  Then they can create more taxes to create more poor people . . . rinse and repeat.

It's pretty simple really.  "Science" is something progressives discovered some time in the mid 60's.  Only they use it backwards, they determine their result and work their way backwards from there.  Just like the scientist in the movie Borat.  If they wanted to, they'd prove the sky is red and the sun is blue.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 06:44:42 AM »

It's a regressive tax on the population ( a tax that affects the poor more adversely than the rich).  The idea is to create more poor people.  That way when the progressives use their class warfare rhetoric it resonates with more people and they get more votes.  Then they can create more taxes to create more poor people . . . rinse and repeat.

It's pretty simple really.  "Science" is something progressives discovered some time in the mid 60's.  Only they use it backwards, they determine their result and work their way backwards from there.  Just like the scientist in the movie Borat.  If they wanted to, they'd prove the sky is red and the sun is blue.

Actually, "science" has been part of progressivism for a long, long time.  Remember eugenics?  That was a progressive-promoted "science."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 10:31:22 AM »
The roots of the global warming "movement" are clearly traceable back to the population control/depopulation propenents.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 12:29:26 PM »
AYE AYE CAP'N (trade)!

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 12:55:39 PM »

Arrrr, I'll trade my 5 carbon credits to you so you can pollute more and not help the environment at all

This.  Cap and Trade only works in theory, the reality is that companies can simply buy the right to continue to pollute.  There is no real reduction in emissions, just a shifting of huge amounts of money for the carbon credits.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 01:02:07 PM »

This.  Cap and Trade only works in theory, the reality is that companies can simply buy the right to continue to pollute.  There is no real reduction in emissions, just a shifting of huge amounts of money for the carbon credits.

So investors in the Chicago Carbon Exchange, like Al Gore, Barack Obama, et al. make out like bandits.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 03:25:48 AM »

This sums it up, goemawers....

Sugar Dick

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 09:53:38 AM »

That's the tax part.  It's immediately passed on to the consumer.  Just like a VAT.  It hurts the people with the least discretionary income the most, the poor.