Author Topic: Don't forget to wear your seat belt today....  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
Don't forget to wear your seat belt today....
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
because we all know it's not your fault if you are thrown through the windshield or out the window.

It's the government's job to protect you because you are too stupid to make that choice!

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
Re: Don't forget to wear your seat belt today....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »
It's the government's job to protect you because you are too stupid to make that choice!
this is generally true.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Goldbrick

• American by birth, Republican by the grace of God
  • Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 05:09:26 PM »
this is generally true.

Spoken like a true authoritarian.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 07:37:12 PM »
this is generally true.

He's in favor of nobody voting, because they aren't smart enough.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:46:22 PM »
Meh.  Will save a decent amount in health care costs.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:51:01 PM »
this is generally true.

He's in favor of nobody voting, because they aren't smart enough.

Why not something less arbitrary?  Say, white land owners?

Sugar Dick

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 09:53:04 PM »

link?

Pretty sure there aren't many healthcare costs for dead people.  If this was the goal of the legislature, they'd ban seatbelts, helmets, air bags, child car seats, etc.

Who told you to say this?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 11:30:20 PM »

link?

Pretty sure there aren't many healthcare costs for dead people.  If this was the goal of the legislature, they'd ban seatbelts, helmets, air bags, child car seats, etc.

That argument comes from National Safety Council estimates, which say that the average fatal car crash costs the economy $5.4 million in direct economic costs, including medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, etc. The estimate seems high, but there definitely is some cost involved.

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 11:33:12 PM »
because we all know it's not your fault if you are thrown through the windshield or out the window.

free market forces it.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 12:11:05 AM »
I mean, are there really not enough things too bitch about that you have to pick a law mandating seat belt usage of all things? A new low.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 06:21:18 AM »
I'd be more sympathetic to the approach of acknowledging that people are stupid while maintaining that they have the right to do stupid things.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 11:35:16 PM »

link?

That argument comes from National Safety Council estimates, which say that the average fatal car crash costs the economy $5.4 million in direct economic costs, including medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, etc. The estimate seems high, but there definitely is some cost involved.

Lost wages and property damage???  :lol: :lol: :lol:  You've got to be f*cking kidding me.  What do the casket and undertaking industry studies say?

Seriously though, there isn't a cop on this planet pulling anyone over for not wearing a seat belt.  As we all know, cops only pull people over based on skin color and gender, it has nothing to do with obeying the law. 

Why live in reality, when you can live in rhetoric with Obamatards?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »

link?

Lost wages and property damage???  :lol: :lol: :lol:  You've got to be f*cking kidding me.  What do the casket and undertaking industry studies say?

Seriously though, there isn't a cop on this planet pulling anyone over for not wearing a seat belt.  As we all know, cops only pull people over based on skin color and gender, it has nothing to do with obeying the law. 

I was merely saying where the argument comes from, not what I personally believe. The reality is, it costs the government a ton of money to clean up a car wreck, and many car crash deaths occur in the hospital. Also, the government will lose some tax revenue over the period the victim would have lived had he/she not died in the crash. I'm not willing to say the cost is $5.4 million, but if you really think it is more costly to the government to have people survive crashes than die in them, you are pretty rough ridin' stupid.

Personally, I don't care if people wear their seat belts and I don't really care for the law.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 10:07:14 AM »

link?

I was merely saying where the argument comes from, not what I personally believe. The reality is, it costs the government a ton of money to clean up a car wreck, and many car crash deaths occur in the hospital. Also, the government will lose some tax revenue over the period the victim would have lived had he/she not died in the crash. I'm not willing to say the cost is $5.4 million, but if you really think it is more costly to the government to have people survive crashes than die in them, you are pretty rough ridin' stupid.

Personally, I don't care if people wear their seat belts and I don't really care for the law.

Did you remember to include the positive economic impact?  The hospital makes money.  The wrecker makes money.  The companies that provide equipment to repair everything and the repair companies make money.  The funeral home makes money.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 10:17:58 AM »

link?

I was merely saying where the argument comes from, not what I personally believe. The reality is, it costs the government a ton of money to clean up a car wreck, and many car crash deaths occur in the hospital. Also, the government will lose some tax revenue over the period the victim would have lived had he/she not died in the crash. I'm not willing to say the cost is $5.4 million, but if you really think it is more costly to the government to have people survive crashes than die in them, you are pretty fracking stupid.

Did you remember to include the positive economic impact?  The hospital makes money.  The wrecker makes money.  The companies that provide equipment to repair everything and the repair companies make money.  The funeral home makes money.

The hospital won't make money unless the victim is wealthy, as insurance companies will not pay medical expenses when the seat belt is not worn. The only times the positive economic impacts outweigh the negative are when the victim is either elderly or on welfare.

Offline Fitz Bath

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 09:10:53 PM »

The Govt. Isn't trying to protect us, they're just capitalizing off of said stupid people.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 09:13:33 PM by Fitz Bath »

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 10:06:05 PM »
I try to pull people over, for not wearing a seat belt, according to breast size.  :peek:

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 10:57:30 PM »
All kidding aside, please drive safe.