Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 1027994 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #5075 on: October 11, 2017, 09:20:33 AM »
When you start adding all of the hidden taxes, I pay more than 100%. It's amazing I'm able to save anything.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: October 11, 2017, 09:56:13 AM »
Is that 20% all taxes, or just fed income? I'd be Ok with paying about 25% total, but I'm currently closer to 40% with state income, city/state property taxes, city/state sales tax, fed income, and FICA combined. And that doesn't even count all the hidden corporate tax I pay indirectly through higher prices.

I take home 79% of my salary.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: October 11, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »
I just don't subscribe to the "from each according to his ability" philosophy so many liberals subscribe to.

Or Christianity.

This is a common liberal theme. I guess they are so ignorant of religion that they can't see the distinction between voluntary charity and involuntary confiscation and redistribution of wealth.

Well I'm sure you're well aware Jesus had no problem with taxes, but also, isn't it voluntarily contributing to ease the burdens of others if you DON'T complain/lobby to try lowering your own taxes? Right now the money you're not hurting to pay is going to help a lot of less fortunate people. I haven't seen you calling to cut waste or simply increase taxes across the board; you're asking for a lower tax burden for yourself.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: October 11, 2017, 11:33:24 AM »
lol at factoring in sales tax

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: October 11, 2017, 12:34:37 PM »
We use to have a dog that would lay in the yard or by the porch step all day liking his penzinger and wallies acting all important.  I think we named him Donald.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: October 11, 2017, 03:02:03 PM »

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: October 11, 2017, 06:03:07 PM »
Looks like the bi annual KSU dub tax burden bitch fest is here again!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #5082 on: October 11, 2017, 08:05:58 PM »
Honestly, I think capping fed taxes at 5% seems about right.

It's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) that the fed sucks billions from each state only to give most of it back (after they pay the salary and exorbitant benefits of millions of people).

I have no qualms paying for roads, schools, police, fire, etc. Other than the military, I have no rough ridin' clue what the federal government does that benefits my life.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: October 11, 2017, 08:07:27 PM »
Sounds good to me fsd

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: October 11, 2017, 08:09:28 PM »
half the states try to ban black people from voting, i'm not sure why you would trust them with more power
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5085 on: October 11, 2017, 08:09:50 PM »
:highfive: sdk

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: October 11, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »
Disempowering the fed might even create a situation where all the fucktard "that state is racist" people move to one state, and create some dystopic north korea like state that gets isolated from the world  :pray:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: October 11, 2017, 08:15:21 PM »
to no one's surprise, fsd prefers the company of racists

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: October 11, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »
Guys, that definition of HENRY includes "saving for an affluent retirement." Basically it just means people who make a lot of money but don't have cash to spend on extravagant things because it's all spoken for.

And KSUW, if you're not maxing out your (and spouse's) 401(k), IRA, HSA, and post-tax 401(k) (if available) then you're not playing the tax game right. All covered in the investing thread.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, ignore everything about crypto trading.

Im set for a comfy retirement (or at least, on track to be set). That doesn't change the fact that I am being taxed at a significantly higher percentage than most. This isn't a matter of whether I can afford those taxes - I can. I just don't subscribe to the "from each according to his ability" philosophy so many liberals subscribe to.

Thoughts on the new Trump tax plan?  I've read it is set to F Henry's in the A

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: October 12, 2017, 08:53:34 AM »
He hates Puerto Rico

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: October 12, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »
He hates Puerto Rico
In his eyes they are just Sea Mexicans.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: October 12, 2017, 02:00:02 PM »
Guys, that definition of HENRY includes "saving for an affluent retirement." Basically it just means people who make a lot of money but don't have cash to spend on extravagant things because it's all spoken for.

And KSUW, if you're not maxing out your (and spouse's) 401(k), IRA, HSA, and post-tax 401(k) (if available) then you're not playing the tax game right. All covered in the investing thread.

Im set for a comfy retirement (or at least, on track to be set). That doesn't change the fact that I am being taxed at a significantly higher percentage than most. This isn't a matter of whether I can afford those taxes - I can. I just don't subscribe to the "from each according to his ability" philosophy so many liberals subscribe to.

I haven't bothered to read it because it seems like a waste of time to study anything before the legislative sausage making begins. I have heard speculation that it could increase taxes on coastal blue-state HENRYs because lowering marginal rates won't fully offset the impact of eliminating the mortgage interest and state/local tax deductions. Those deductions are worth a LOT of money in blue states with high taxes and high property values.

The impact on me as a red-state midwestern HENRY is less certain. Those deductions are still worth significant money to me, but it could be that marginal rates are reduced enough that it still results in a net tax reduction for me.

Generally speaking, I completely agree that we should be eliminating the mortgage interest deduction and state/local tax deduction as long as marginal rates are reduced. Politically, it's a constitutional way to totally eff over blue states. :fatty: And from a policy standpoint, why the hell should the government be subsidizing consumer debt and higher state taxes? Sadly, eliminating these deduction is such a no-brainer that I have ZERO confidence it will actually happen. There are too many special interests at play (like realtors and bankers).
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: October 12, 2017, 02:43:17 PM »

I haven't bothered to read it because it seems like a waste of time to study anything before the legislative sausage making begins. I have heard speculation that it could increase taxes on coastal blue-state HENRYs because lowering marginal rates won't fully offset the impact of eliminating the mortgage interest and state/local tax deductions. Those deductions are worth a LOT of money in blue states with high taxes and high property values.

The impact on me as a red-state midwestern HENRY is less certain. Those deductions are still worth significant money to me, but it could be that marginal rates are reduced enough that it still results in a net tax reduction for me.

Generally speaking, I completely agree that we should be eliminating the mortgage interest deduction and state/local tax deduction as long as marginal rates are reduced. Politically, it's a constitutional way to totally eff over blue states. :fatty: And from a policy standpoint, why the hell should the government be subsidizing consumer debt and higher state taxes? Sadly, eliminating these deduction is such a no-brainer that I have ZERO confidence it will actually happen. There are too many special interests at play (like realtors and bankers).

The gov has promoted tax advantages on leverage real estate.  Taking it away now is kind of bush.  I would need a hefty marginal rate cut, but if that is his plan then good.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: October 12, 2017, 02:48:16 PM »
I agree mortgage interest and state and local taxes arw a bullshit way of subsidizing bad policy.

I'm fine canning that crap through lower rates and a much higher standard deduction.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: October 12, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: October 12, 2017, 03:22:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/SenBobCasey/status/913460668774457345

The Big 6 plan would also increase the child tax credit by $500 each, resulting in a net tax reduction for that family of $722. Oops, Senator Bob Casey.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Trump Presidency
« Reply #5098 on: October 12, 2017, 03:24:50 PM »
So basically the Republicans want to encourage families to have more kids (and penalize them if they don't). Probably a good way to offset all the labor we will be losing due to their immigration policies.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: October 12, 2017, 03:29:09 PM »
we need to discourage breeders, not give them my hard earned money for adding to the world's overpopulation smdh