Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 1028006 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #5325 on: October 18, 2017, 11:32:26 AM »
Trump is calling a Gold Star family a liar re: his comments. He also claimed to have proof (recorded the call? haven't we heard this bluff before?). My guess is this won't generate much controversy among the posters here of Trump supporters in general.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: October 18, 2017, 11:42:15 AM »
Yes, that's actually one of the dumb posts I was referring to. To simply say "eh, markets steadily improved under Obama" completely discounts the staggering boost in consumer and investor confidence under Trump.
Idiotic. I even said Obama claiming all that economic growth over 8 years was stupid....not quite as dumb as Trump trying to do so after 9 months but here we are people "not wanting Trump" carrying that water.

I never said Trump (or Obama) deserves complete credit for gains in the market. And I also said the market is less a measure of economic health than it is confidence. It's very easy to just read what I said. It is simply undeniable that Trump's election has been a massive boost to consumer and investor confidence. Over 4000 points in less than a year. That is historic.
It's POTUS that keeps making those claims about stock market gains and how that's wiping out the debt. You sit here whistling past the graveyard on him talking about "I didn't want him, he's better than Hillary...BUT look at all the great he has done". It's silytown.

I do not deny that some confidence levels have increase with the dream of zero regulations and no taxes.  Much of it also comes from lower energy prices (not Trump) and low unemployment (not  Trump).

No idea where "over 4000 points" comes from or is even in reference to.
Cheap energy helps any President.  Clinton benefitted from it.  Also energy independence has helped.  Yes, wind and solar included, but primarily fossil fuel.  Trump has ended the war on fossil fuels and got rid of business killing regulations.  There will be a stock correction, but low if tax reform happens and inflation is low.   One ignoramus move by Trump could send the economy into a horrible tailspin that we could not get out of.  Why?  No one would rally to aid Trump.  He is hated and despised.  But most of all most believe he is off in the head, and do not trust him as far as you can throw a bull elephant.
You honestly believe Trump has ended the war on fossil fuel that it has changed the fundamental working of the fossil fuel manufacturing process and impacted the economy....in 9 months.  Point me to the specific legislation or EO signed and dated signed you think did this.
Honestly Obama helped big oil in 2016 when he signed the legislation that permits selling oil to foreign customers.  The supply of oil and gas is attributable to fracking.  Obama loved environmentalists and fracing was on the hit list.  So was adopting a carbon tax.  So was crippling regulations promulgated in the last days of the Obama era.   Other than regulations, I have to admit substantive changes are scant, but attitudinal changes towards energy has been significant.  Energy companies are not fearful about the future as they would have been if Helliary would have doubled down on Obama's policy

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: October 18, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »
Trump is calling a Gold Star family a liar re: his comments. He also claimed to have proof (recorded the call? haven't we heard this bluff before?). My guess is this won't generate much controversy among the posters here of Trump supporters in general.

If Trump said that this special forces member "knew what he was signing up for", the soldier would likely agree, but that is still an insensitive comment to bereaved family members. I also expect that these calls are very difficult to make. Giving condolences after the loss of a loved one can be littered with land mines. You have to choose your words very carefully. I also think it is unfortunate that the congresswoman is trying to make political hay out of this. And that Trump is pushing back. Sometimes there is nothing to be gained by pushing back, but Trump does not subscribe to that philosophy. In summary, I find this sort of political theater over the death of a hero to be grotesque, and would prefer that Trump not participate in it but that is one of his many flaws.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: October 18, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »
A little more color to the story....

Democratic Congresswoman Frederica Wilson is accusing President Donald Trump of being “insensitive” in a call to the widow of a slain U.S. soldier.

In a CNN interview, Wilson said she was on her way to the Miami airport with Myeshia Johnson to receive the body of Sgt. La David T. Johnson, when the president called. “Basically he said, ‘Well, I guess he knew what he signed up for. But I guess it still hurt.’ That’s what he said.”

“I asked them to give me the phone because I wanted to speak with him,” she said. “And I was going to curse him out. That was my reaction at that time. I was livid. But they would not give me the phone.”

On Wednesday morning Trump flatly denied the accusation in a tweet:

“Democrat Congresswoman totally fabricated what I said to the wife of a soldier who died in action (and I have proof). Sad!”

On CNN’s New Day Wednesday morning, Wilson rebutted those remarks by calling Trump “a sick man” and claiming the president could not recall the name of the slain veteran.

After her first interview, in a subsequent interview with ABC News, Wilson’s description of what Trump had “basically” said had become, “Yeah, he said that. To me that is something that you can say in a conversation, but you shouldn’t say that to a grieving widow. And everyone knows when you go to war, you could possibly not come back alive. But you don’t remind a grieving widow of that. That’s so insensitive.”

Wilson said she was able to hear the president’s words on a speakerphone.

Wilson admitted to ABC News that she “didn’t hear the entire conversation” and that she “just can’t remember everything that he [Trump] said. But that stood out in everyone’s, uh heart, on the call. You don’t say that.”

Wilson proceeded to claim that the partial conversation that she heard was “an insult to the entire Miami Gardens community, to our entire District 24, to Miami-Dade County, and to this nation.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: October 18, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »
Of all the reasons to vote for a president, I would think "good judgment" should be at the top of the list, but I guess I'm just one person.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: October 18, 2017, 12:36:29 PM »
A little more color to the story....

Democratic Congresswoman Frederica Wilson is accusing President Donald Trump of being “insensitive” in a call to the widow of a slain U.S. soldier.

In a CNN interview, Wilson said she was on her way to the Miami airport with Myeshia Johnson to receive the body of Sgt. La David T. Johnson, when the president called. “Basically he said, ‘Well, I guess he knew what he signed up for. But I guess it still hurt.’ That’s what he said.”

“I asked them to give me the phone because I wanted to speak with him,” she said. “And I was going to curse him out. That was my reaction at that time. I was livid. But they would not give me the phone.”

On Wednesday morning Trump flatly denied the accusation in a tweet:

“Democrat Congresswoman totally fabricated what I said to the wife of a soldier who died in action (and I have proof). Sad!”

On CNN’s New Day Wednesday morning, Wilson rebutted those remarks by calling Trump “a sick man” and claiming the president could not recall the name of the slain veteran.

After her first interview, in a subsequent interview with ABC News, Wilson’s description of what Trump had “basically” said had become, “Yeah, he said that. To me that is something that you can say in a conversation, but you shouldn’t say that to a grieving widow. And everyone knows when you go to war, you could possibly not come back alive. But you don’t remind a grieving widow of that. That’s so insensitive.”

Wilson said she was able to hear the president’s words on a speakerphone.

Wilson admitted to ABC News that she “didn’t hear the entire conversation” and that she “just can’t remember everything that he [Trump] said. But that stood out in everyone’s, uh heart, on the call. You don’t say that.”

Wilson proceeded to claim that the partial conversation that she heard was “an insult to the entire Miami Gardens community, to our entire District 24, to Miami-Dade County, and to this nation.

She wasn't just a random congress person, she knew the Marine that was killed. The wife has since confirmed this version of events. Trump's bizarre assertion that he can back up his version, is the same exact bluff he trotted out to try and intimidate Comey. It is ok to say that Trump screwed up here, you didn't do anything wrong, but the amount of work you are doing to defend someone that 24 hours from now will likely say some more egregious crap is pretty sad.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: October 18, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »
Anyway, if you have already given to FattyFund, go give some money here:

https://www.gofundme.com/sgt-la-david-johnson-scholarship

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: October 18, 2017, 12:45:40 PM »
She wasn't just a random congress person, she knew the Marine that was killed. The wife has since confirmed this version of events. Trump's bizarre assertion that he can back up his version, is the same exact bluff he trotted out to try and intimidate Comey. It is ok to say that Trump screwed up here, you didn't do anything wrong, but the amount of work you are doing to defend someone that 24 hours from now will likely say some more egregious crap is pretty sad.

Funny thing is, I went back and read what I said and, nope, didn't defend him. I simply pointed out that the comment, while likely true, was also insensitive and you have to be careful when giving condolences. I also pointed out that the Congresswoman's rush to politicize this is also pretty gross, and that I wish Trump could avoid engaging in petty disputes like this (particularly with backbenchers). all of that is a fair read on the situation.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: October 18, 2017, 12:48:06 PM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: October 18, 2017, 12:50:52 PM »
I mean, straight out of the playbook, way to go KSUW.

The Big Train

« Reply #5335 on: October 18, 2017, 12:56:08 PM »
He follows dear leaders orders like a good soldier

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: October 18, 2017, 12:57:03 PM »

Funny thing is, I went back and read what I said and, nope, didn't defend him. I simply pointed out that the comment, while likely true, was also insensitive and you have to be careful when giving condolences. I also pointed out that the Congresswoman's rush to politicize this is also pretty gross, and that I wish Trump could avoid engaging in petty disputes like this (particularly with backbenchers). all of that is a fair read on the situation.

Trump isn't "pushing back" on a "rush to politicize this." He is making a factual claim about what he said, in direct conflict with the congresswoman and the grieving spouse are on the record as disputing. Set aside the comment, why is he lying about it and claiming he "has proof" that everyone knows will never materialize. You know the comments themselves are part of a larger context here.

Anyway, I donated $50 to the kid's college fund and I hope it helps them.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: October 18, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
"rush to politicize this"  :lol:

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: October 18, 2017, 01:02:58 PM »
How long before Trump calls the widow a liar?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: October 18, 2017, 01:10:05 PM »
He essentially already has.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5340 on: October 18, 2017, 01:33:43 PM »
Johnson's mother also stood by an account of the call from Rep. Frederica S. Wilson (D-Fla.) that Trump told Johnson's widow that her husband “must have known what he signed up for.”

“President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband,” Jones-Johnson said.
Wilson had said that the Johnson family was “astonished” by Trump's remarks during the phone call, which Wilson said she heard via a speaker phone while riding in a car with the Johnson family.

“She was crying the whole time, and when she hung up the phone, she looked at me and said, ‘He didn’t even remember his name.’ That’s the hurting part.” Wilson told MSNBC on Wednesday that Johnson's widow was shaken by the exchange.

Wilson went on to say Trump “was almost like joking. He said, ‘Well, I guess you knew’ — something to the effect that ‘he knew what he was getting into when he signed up, but I guess it hurts anyway.’ You know, just matter-of-factly, that this is what happens, anyone who is signing up for military duty is signing up to die. That’s the way we interpreted it. It was horrible. It was insensitive. It was absolutely crazy, unnecessary. I was livid.”
Jones-Johnson, speaking to The Post via Facebook Messenger, declined to elaborate.

But asked whether Wilson's account of the conversation between Trump and the family was accurate, she replied: “Yes.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/10/18/totally-fabricated-trump-disputes-congresswomans-depiction-of-his-exchange-with-soldiers-widow/

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: October 18, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »
the fact that renocat has become a voice of reason among conservative posters really says it all

grats reno

The Big Train

« Reply #5342 on: October 18, 2017, 01:39:59 PM »
Trump better attack her character and get out ahead of this thing

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: October 18, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »
How long before Trump calls the widow a liar?

ah, yesterday?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: October 18, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »
Trump better attack her character and get out ahead of this thing

He needs to lie about having a recording to really shut the widow up

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: October 18, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
Shame on her for rushing to politicize the death of her husband
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: October 18, 2017, 02:30:13 PM »

If Trump said that this special forces member "knew what he was signing up for", the soldier would likely agree, but that is still an insensitive comment to bereaved family members. I also expect that these calls are very difficult to make. Giving condolences after the loss of a loved one can be littered with land mines. You have to choose your words very carefully. I also think it is unfortunate that the congresswoman is trying to make political hay out of this. And that Trump is pushing back. Sometimes there is nothing to be gained by pushing back, but Trump does not subscribe to that philosophy. In summary, I find this sort of political theater over the death of a hero to be grotesque, and would prefer that Trump not participate in it but that is one of his many flaws.

Not when you are a sociopath who entirely lacks empathy (DJT)
:adios:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #5347 on: October 18, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »
This "controversy" was a predictable as the sun given Donald's comments last week about B.O. never calling families of soldiers.

So stupid.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #5348 on: October 18, 2017, 03:08:27 PM »
Shame on all of you.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: October 18, 2017, 03:20:37 PM »
Deflector in Chief sure has a lot of BBS deflector pros in his calvary.