Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 1038865 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #5150 on: October 13, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »
children of men: dystopia or utopia?

an essay by sun dance kid

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: October 13, 2017, 08:53:51 AM »
Can someone explain how a guy that works the same job as me, also rents, and contributes to society at the same level gets 12k back on his taxes compared to my 200? Both us of having the absolute minimum taken out of our checks.

How is being married, in a single income home, with three kids worth 12k?

This isn't something that seriously upsets me. I live a great life and can afford to do most anything I want to do. It's something that makes no sense to me.

if you divide his income amongst his 5 component beings then you will see that per capita his family makes 1/5 what you do

Who made the choice to do that?

Not the kids who would suffer without the tax breaks.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: October 13, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »
It's in any state's self interest to have future citizens. Providing incentives for that makes perfect sense.

That's the rationale? Ok. Thanks. Silly that the state believes it needs to pay it's citizens to have unprotected sex, but ok.
How many oops's do you think are out there? Not everyone is single and 33.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: October 13, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »
i consider it more like an investment than a subsidy. it increases their chances of not being illiterate starving criminals.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: October 13, 2017, 09:03:20 AM »
Buying houses, having kids, getting married, etc. = contributing to society in the governments eyes.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: October 13, 2017, 09:05:58 AM »
Why do you presume that if a head of household makes more money then his/her children will benefit? If the interest is on children then just expand programs like WIC or Medicaid or  even schools.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: October 13, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »
To be fair, truly low income families generally do not pay taxes as is. So tax credits do nothing for them. These policies have the most impact on middle class families, who can afford to have 1-2 kids and are certainly free (but should not be encouraged) to have more. I would, however, be in favor of a substantial adoption tax credit.

I think you are confusing tax deductions with credits. Deductions reduce your taxable income, and therefore have less benefit to no benefit for people with income that's already below the standard deduction. Many tax credits are "refundable", meaning the gov pays you the credit whether you have any taxable income or not, as long as you file a return. So many tax credits are a huge subsidy to poors - especially the child tax credit. Granted, there are also tax credits for rich people stuff the poors could never afford, like electric cars.

I would much prefer tax reform that replaces credits with more generous deductions. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:12:42 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: October 13, 2017, 09:21:13 AM »
Is there a good argument for tax credits either for individuals or corporations?  Are they a symptom that your system is broken? 
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: October 13, 2017, 09:21:36 AM »
I don't think there should be any credits or deductions. Adjust the rates properly to account for that and then taxes are fair and uncomplicated. I hate social engineering through tax policy.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: October 13, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »
To be fair, truly low income families generally do not pay taxes as is. So tax credits do nothing for them. These policies have the most impact on middle class families, who can afford to have 1-2 kids and are certainly free (but should not be encouraged) to have more. I would, however, be in favor of a substantial adoption tax credit.

I think you are confusing tax deductions with credits. Deductions reduce your taxable income, and therefore have less benefit to no benefit for people with income that's already below the standard deduction. Many tax credits are "refundable", meaning the gov pays you the credit whether you have any taxable income or not, as long as you file a return. So many tax credits are a huge subsidy to poors - especially the child tax credit. Granted, there are also tax credits for rich people stuff the poors could never afford, like electric cars.

I would much prefer tax reform that replaces credits with more generous deductions.

A credit is exactly what I said it was.  You're just saying there is a separate law that currently allows people to claim a refund of the portion of the child tax credit that does not reduce their taxes.

And what is the point of replacing a credit with a more generous deduction?  Just to disproportionately assist people in higher tax brackets instead of lower brackets?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5160 on: October 13, 2017, 09:25:20 AM »
One thing I hate about the Trump tax plan is that he wants to reduce the number of brackets. Brackets are literally the least complicated thing about taxes.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: October 13, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »
children of men: dystopia or utopia?

an essay by sun dance kid

Hahaha. I'll write one out if I ever get irked enough about all of this. :D

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: October 13, 2017, 09:26:40 AM »
One thing I hate about the Trump tax plan is that he wants to reduce the number of brackets. Brackets are literally the least complicated thing about taxes.

Yes, and we need more

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: October 13, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
What percent of our GDP is the taxation industrial complex? Probably a decent chunk. Can't just put all this people out of work by simplifying the tax code.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: October 13, 2017, 09:27:22 AM »
Why do you presume that if a head of household makes more money then his/her children will benefit? If the interest is on children then just expand programs like WIC or Medicaid or  even schools.

This.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: October 13, 2017, 09:28:03 AM »
I don't think there should be any credits or deductions. Adjust the rates properly to account for that and then taxes are fair and uncomplicated. I hate social engineering through tax policy.

Also, this.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: October 13, 2017, 09:28:23 AM »
It should just be a curve, why eff with brackets at all

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: October 13, 2017, 09:29:26 AM »

Because that WOULD be confusing.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: October 13, 2017, 09:29:29 AM »
One thing I hate about the Drumpf tax plan is that he wants to reduce the number of brackets. Brackets are literally the least complicated thing about taxes.

Yes, and we need more

We should have like 15-20 of them.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: October 13, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »
A curve is fine

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: October 13, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »

Then quit supoorting bad reform.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: October 13, 2017, 09:30:51 AM »
I do love curves myself. :fatty:

The Big Train

« Reply #5172 on: October 13, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »

Don’t let mocat write the equation for it lol

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: October 13, 2017, 09:31:40 AM »
 :blank:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: October 13, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »

Agreed. Seems to me that this is less a liberal versus conservative issue, and more a special interest versus ordinary American issue.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.