Author Topic: Sensible Gun Measures  (Read 10849 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sensible Gun Measures
« on: December 11, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »
In this thread, we talk about sensible gun measures. I'll start with this very interesting article, about three bipartisan gun/ammo measures recently signed into law by President Barack Obama.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/12/10/president-obama-signs-three-constructive-gun-measures/

1. Prohibiting an administrative ban on lead ammunition

The first measure, in Section 315 of the NDAA, prohibits an administrative ban on lead ammunition. The Toxic Substances Control Act gives the Environmental Protection Agency administrator broad authority to outlaw almost any “chemical substance.”

I had no idea there was actually a movement afoot to ban ammunition using the EPA's power to regulate lead. :lol: Fortunately, our President and Congress worked together to put this silliness to rest.

2. Allowing military personnel to protect themselves

This summer, a jihadist attacked military recruiting stations in Chattanooga, Tenn. In 2009, a jihadist attacked the Fort Hood military base in Texas. He murdered 13 unarmed victims and wounded 30. The military personnel there were defenseless, so the criminal was not stopped until military police arrived. Section 526 of the NDAA takes a first step toward remedying the dangerous disarmament of our armed forces.

Ok, so we now have a law that says our soldiers can carry guns while on base. I'm surprised we need a law for that, but ok. Thank you Mr. President and Congress!

3. Sale of surplus handguns to the public

Since 1905, the federal Civilian Marksmanship Program has provided for the sale of some (non-automatic) military surplus firearms to the public. In 1996, the program was mostly privatized, but the Defense Department was required to continue to provide certain surplus arms to the program. 36 U.S. Code sect. 40728. Citizens may receive the arms only after going through the same procedures as are required for any other retail firearms purchase, including extensive paperwork and background checks. NDAA Section 1087 sets up a procedure allowing the transfer of up to 10,000 surplus handguns to the CMP. These handguns are .45-caliber model “1911” pistols (named for their year of invention). For the military, these pistols have been replaced by the 9mm Beretta. The 1911 pistols are now collectors items, being warehoused at a cost of $200,000 per year. Selling them via the CMP will reduce this expense and raise revenue.

Makes perfect sense. Why spend money to warehouse old military weapons when we can sell them to the public?

So there you have it - three sensible gun measures recently signed into law by Barack Obama.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Sensible Gun Measures
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:59:51 AM »
That last one will never happen, FWIW.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:15:18 AM »
So why are gun nuts like emo so afraid of obama taking their guns
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 10:57:47 AM »
Not afraid of them succeeding!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 10:58:44 AM »
Have you seen the keeping Dax updated on pub radio thread?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »
Why are ProgLibs so into labeling?

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 12:00:17 PM »
The last 7 years have been like Christmas for the gun companies, they should THANK BHO.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 02:53:38 PM »
The last 7 years have been like Christmas for the gun companies, they should THANK BHO.

He is the greatest gun salesman that has ever lived.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 05:19:43 PM »
Mass shooters are much better salesman. I wouldn't be surprised if the nra somehow was involved in hiring mass murders so gun nuts go hog wild every few weeks

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 05:38:11 PM »
Should have just stuck with  :lol:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 05:59:30 PM »
I was trying out a daxspiricy

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 09:53:35 PM »

WTF?  It already did turbo.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 04:01:28 AM »
Don't forget that Barack is the largest retailer of heavy weaponry in the world, only missing out on a handful of deals because a particular country or two prefer Russian weapons. 

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 07:48:57 AM »
Where do I get signed up for one those model 1911 pistols? Those are generally great guns
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »

WTF?  It already did turbo.

Let me know when a single gun makes it to the public.  It will be years.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 10:06:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/Calebkeeter/status/914872808110510080

Why does this dude equate the need for gun control laws with a belief in 2nd Amendment rights? I always thought that people who gave this viewpoint were trying to hijack the issue. How many people out there think that any gun law violates the second amendment?

That being said I'm glad he's changed his mind without having to lose his life. There's this though...
https://twitter.com/brianscully/status/914905771313307648

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 05:57:18 AM »
And people attack him for his change of position. Beat the man while he's down. rough ridin' Twitter trolls.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 06:32:31 AM »
I guess forced castration of white men per Lena Dunham.

Actress Lena Dunham took to social media Monday to respond to Sunday’s mass shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada, in which 59 people lost their lives, writing on Twitter that there was “no way not to politicize” the tragic event.
“No way not to politicize this tragedy,” the showrunner and star of HBO’s Girls wrote in a tweet. “It’s about gender & race as well as access to guns. Considering it random is comforting & dangerous.”

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 07:22:16 AM »
there are no sensible measures.

AMERICAtm has determined that being able to protect against some future fantasy scenario is more important than protecting against being shot to death in real life in the present.

AMERICAtm has weighed the freedom to worship guns against the freedom to not be shot to death in public and chosen.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »
The NRA is a terrorist organization and greedy pols are happy to play along

https://www.axios.com/trump-wont-pivot-to-gun-control-probably-2492197581.html

Bannon warns: “end of everything” if Trump supports gun controls
Jonathan Swan, Mike Allen, Sara Fischer, Axios, Alayna Treene, Axios, Axios, Kim Hart, Sara Fischer, Jonathan Swan, Drew Altman, Kaiser Family Foundation and Kia Kokalitcheva

President Trump may say he's a defender of gun ownership rights, but with all the gun control pressure he'll be under after Las Vegas, how do we know he'll resist it — especially after the debt limit deal with Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, and his flirtation with a deal on DACA?

Bottom line: Trump's allies, both inside and out of the White House, are mostly sure he'll resist because he owes too much to the NRA and its supporters — but even some of them aren't 100 percent sure.

What they're saying: Since the Las Vegas shooting, we've spoken or texted with more than 20 sources inside and out of the White House — all people who've worked close enough to Trump to have something useful to say about his likely next moves. Most say they can't imagine him doing a Chuck-and-Nancy deal on gun control.

They say that while he bathed in the glowing media coverage after his surprise debt ceiling deal with the Democrats; he'll be very reluctant to do anything like that on guns:

He feels closer to the NRA than just about any outside group.
He believes his un-nuanced support for the Second Amendment was crucial to his election victory.
He's been instinctively allergic to Democrats who argue for gun control in the immediate aftermath of mass shootings.
Besides, as former Trump adviser Roger Stone told me: "Base would go insane and he knows it."

I asked Steve Bannon whether he could imagine Trump pivoting to the left on guns after the Las Vegas massacre. "Impossible: will be the end of everything," Bannon texted. When asked whether Trump's base would react worse to this than they would if he supported an immigration amnesty bill, Bannon replied: "as hard as it is to believe actually worse."

Why sources close to Trump think it's unlikely he'll pivot — in any substantial way — to gun control:

The NRA relationship: "POTUS (correctly) believes he doesn't owe anything to most traditional Republican outside groups, because they didn't lift a finger to help him in the election," said a Trump administration source. "NRA is very much the exception. They stayed loyal through it all and kept spending." We're told Trump feels a personal connection to the NRA and is close to the NRA's top lobbyist, Chris Cox.
People he talks to haven't heard old views surfacing: "In the past Donald was very pro-gun control on automatic rifles, but I doubt he's going to make an issue out of it this time and pick a fight with the NRA," said a New York-based conservative operative who has advised Trump. "Perhaps down the road."
His base might leave him: As Steve Bannon and other conservatives close to Trump argue, gun owners are even more passionate about their issue than immigration hardliners. And, as a senior GOP aide pointed out, DACA has at least has a chance of passage. "Most agree something needs to be done," the source said. "Can't say the same for gun control — at least in Congress."
His sons: A number of sources close to Trump cited the strong pro-Second Amendment views of his sons Don Jr. and Eric. Don Jr. made much of his passions for shooting and hunting on the campaign and is closely affiliated with the NRA.
Yes, but: Almost everybody we spoke to hesitated when predicting Trump's next move on guns. Some mentioned his taste for bipartisan deal-making, and one source who has worked closely with Trump thought a deal with the Democrats on guns wasn't out of the question — especially as an emotional reaction to the carnage.
"On top of the immense political pressure, the visuals Trump will see, hundreds of severely injured young people, could provoke him to act," this source said. "The rational route to take would be to let the investigation play out to see if any new laws could've prevented this. I'm 100 percent Second Amendment but … people who had their brains blown out is enough to make anyone with a heart consider anything to prevent this."

One possible path: Trump could make a modest concession to gun control advocates by opposing a controversial bill, backed by the NRA, to relax restrictions on the purchasing of gun silencers. Politico reported, citing GOP sources, that the bill "won't be reaching the House floor anytime soon after a horrific mass shooting in Las Vegas."

Trump could get out in front of it, get a slap from the NRA on an issue that's not nearly so radioactive as gun ownership, and move on without considering more substantial gun control actions.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
NRA scares the crap out of me.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
How long before I'm going to have to purchase 5 firearms? I'd like to have a couple hand guns, a long distance rifle, a shotgun, and a medium range rifle before all hell breaks loose.

Tia.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 12:47:58 PM »
I think licenses to own guns would be sensible.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 12:54:37 PM »
i honestly cannot believe you don't already need a license to own a gun. you need a license to motherfucking fish for crying out loud