Author Topic: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look  (Read 137409 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look
« Reply #850 on: June 25, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »
Meh. We did that during the Cold War too and everything turned out ok.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: June 25, 2018, 08:31:13 AM »
Bigger threat to free speech:
people protesting speakers

OR

people creating a list of pro-Palestine activists, accusing them of 'terrorism' and reporting them to authorities?

https://theintercept.com/2018/06/24/students-for-justice-in-palestine-fbi-sjp/
1.  I don't know how many times I can tell you that nobody takes issue with "protests" on college campuses. 
2.  Yes, I think the government conducting detention-like interviews based on pro-palistinian fb posts (that don't call for immediate/directs acts of violence) is a bad practice that likely runs afoul of the First Amendment - and definitely runs against the spirit of free speech.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: June 25, 2018, 10:44:11 AM »
Bigger threat to free speech:
people protesting speakers

OR

people creating a list of pro-Palestine activists, accusing them of 'terrorism' and reporting them to authorities?

https://theintercept.com/2018/06/24/students-for-justice-in-palestine-fbi-sjp/
anti-semite.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: June 25, 2018, 11:17:51 AM »
i still don't see how anyone can't be impressed with his prose.

https://twitter.com/wesyang/status/1011217816505200640
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: June 25, 2018, 11:29:08 AM »
I looked at the data from that and the most amazing thing was the amount of legacies Harvard still lets in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 25, 2018, 11:30:04 AM »
v good thread.

https://twitter.com/lymanstoneky/status/1011245433228812288

I can’t read any of the articles he cites because I don’t have access to JSTOR. Makes me think I should go back to grad school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 25, 2018, 11:43:23 AM »
surely with your townie life, you have access to someone with a kstate library login.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 25, 2018, 11:47:04 AM »
i still don't see how anyone can't be impressed with his prose.

https://twitter.com/wesyang/status/1011217816505200640

Not convinced it belongs in this thread, but great article and awesome closing line:

Harvard’s lawyers will soon tell the highest court in the land that Casey Pedrick’s Asian students are less respected because they are less likable, less courageous, and less kind than all other applicants. The university has decided that this is necessary for the greater good. The reality is that it is a carefully considered act of slander.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 25, 2018, 11:50:35 AM »
I looked at the data from that and the most amazing thing was the amount of legacies Harvard still lets in.

perhaps sorta amazing, yes.  to me, more amazing is how small their enrollment is.  i'm irrationally attracted to traditions, etc, so the idea of razing cambridge to create a behemoth harvard campus filled with a bunch of horrible new buildings or worse yet having a bunch of satellite harvard campuses scattered around boston is anathema.  but it's also pretty hard to justify not using that gargantuan endowment on more than a few thousand students.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 25, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »
in round (ie not fact-checked) numbers, they have 7.6 million per undergrad in the endowment!   :lol:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 25, 2018, 11:56:39 AM »
checking facts reduces that to just $5.5 million/undergrad.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 25, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/drvox/status/1010274294968958976
The author's evidence for "growing acknowledgment of whiteness" is Trump's election and a bunch of op-eds talking about "whiteness."  Huh?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 25, 2018, 02:02:11 PM »
Also an increasing reference to it in pop culture.  I kinda get the general idea but like, do I HAVE to acknowledge my whiteness?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 25, 2018, 02:05:24 PM »
Also an increasing reference to it in pop culture. 
Sure, but in that case (and in the case of any mainstream op-ed i've come across), the "acknowledgment" is really a criticism of "whiteness" or white people in general (dear white people, get out, etc.).  Which is fine, but it's not really any sort of self-promotion of "whiteness" which is what I think the article was trying to condemn -- or at least warn about.

I mean, the author acknowledged that Trump took 58% of the white vote.  In 2012, Romney took 59%. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:13:46 PM by Dlew12 »

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 25, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »

perhaps sorta amazing, yes.  to me, more amazing is how small their enrollment is.  i'm irrationally attracted to traditions, etc, so the idea of razing cambridge to create a behemoth harvard campus filled with a bunch of horrible new buildings or worse yet having a bunch of satellite harvard campuses scattered around boston is anathema.  but it's also pretty hard to justify not using that gargantuan endowment on more than a few thousand students.

yeah, elite institutions shouldn't have to be shamed into growing with the general population.  harvard has a 5.6% acceptance rate and 82% matriculation.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:26:40 PM by bubbles4ksu »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 25, 2018, 02:23:42 PM »
i don't think the author was trying to condemn a self-promotion of whiteness.  i think she was trying to identify an incipient trend in which white americans perceive themselves to be, and act as if they are, one cohesive racial or ethnic group among many, rather than a default lack of race or ethnicity.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 25, 2018, 02:24:35 PM »
i take your point, though, that her evidence is purely anecdotal.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 25, 2018, 02:25:15 PM »
hilariously on-brand analysis but the thing is, intelligence is heritable.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: June 25, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »

intelligence is heritable, but the legacy admits are glaringly less academically qualified than are the non-legacy admits.  it's hard to beat actively selecting for intelligence, if the goal is to select intelligence.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 25, 2018, 02:38:34 PM »

intelligence is heritable, but the legacy admits are glaringly less academically qualified than are the non-legacy admits.  it's hard to beat actively selecting for intelligence, if the goal is to select intelligence.
the donations involved in taking a rich alum's kids probably have more to do than "legacy."  i haven't seen the legacy numbers, mostly just wanted to offend KK.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 25, 2018, 02:42:48 PM »
i don't think the author was trying to condemn a self-promotion of whiteness.  i think she was trying to identify an incipient trend in which white americans perceive themselves to be, and act as if they are, one cohesive racial or ethnic group among many, rather than a default lack of race or ethnicity.
That's a fair point.  But I think that phenomenon (assuming it actually exists in any meaningful way) is an understandable reaction to the broader racial conversation. 

If people (rightfully or wrongfully) complain of racial oppression at the hands of "white people" in general, then I think it's natural for someone who is ostensibly being included among the oppressors to self-identify as "white" in order join the conversation.  Maybe that actually gets to the trend the author is identifying or not, but we'll never know because the author does a pretty lazy job of describing what it is she's actually talking about.

In other words, I don't see the significance of someone acknowledging they're white in light of the broad conversation regarding "whites'" role in racial oppression. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 25, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »
the donations involved in taking a rich alum's kids probably have more to do than "legacy."

most people assume that's the whole point, and it probably is a great deal of it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 25, 2018, 02:53:51 PM »

Yeah and they're having difficulty dealing with other ethnic groups talking about "white people" as "white people" have generally talked about other ethnic groups. I mean dlew automatically views someone identifying "white people" as a group being synonymous with "oppressor", and the article didn't really talk much about oppression by whites on other races.