Author Topic: So it turns out we do negotiate with terrorists  (Read 36431 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: So it turns out we do negotiate with terrorists
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »
From CNN

CNN profiled them two years ago, when their names first surfaced as candidates for a transfer as part of talks with the Taliban:

Khair Ulla Said Wali Khairkhwa

Khair Ulla said what now??? :confused:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »
If this administration isn't the strangest one in Post WWII history in terms of foreign policy (and relevant things) than it has to be very close.

I think our hardline stance on communism post WWII was far more strange and led to more poor decisions than anything this administration has done. Granted, a lot of it had to do with the bizarro McCarthyism but still it was pretty strange.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 02:48:41 PM »
If this administration isn't the strangest one in Post WWII history in terms of foreign policy (and relevant things) than it has to be very close.

I think our hardline stance on communism post WWII was far more strange and led to more poor decisions than anything this administration has done. Granted, a lot of it had to do with the bizarro McCarthyism but still it was pretty strange.

At least you could draw a line between a them and an us during the cold war.

Today we overthrew a leader of a country who in all matter of thinking was actually fighting against Al Queda, had renounced support of terrorism, and quit seeking WMD's (you could say the same thing about Saddam).   We overthrew his regime (not saying he was a good guy) and basically handed the whole country over to the bad people.   Then across the Med we finally woke up (or at least I hope we did) and realized we were supporting some really bad people and trying to overthrow a nation state that thinks in geo-strategic terms (the easiest and the safest to deal with) instead of hardcore jihadist terms (one of the worst to deal with).   

That's just a couple of examples.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »

At least you could draw a line between a them and an us during the cold war.

It was a stupid, reckless and dangerous policy. We were rough ridin' whackos and lucky as crap that the Communist powers had cooler heads than us and it didn't get more serious than Vietnam.

Today we overthrew a leader of a country who in all matter of thinking was actually fighting against Al Queda, had renounced support of terrorism, and quit seeking WMD's (you could say the same thing about Saddam).   We overthrew his regime (not saying he was a good guy) and basically handed the whole country over to the bad people.   Then across the Med we finally woke up (or at least I hope we did) and realized we were supporting some really bad people and trying to overthrow a nation state that thinks in geo-strategic terms (the easiest and the safest to deal with) instead of hardcore jihadist terms (one of the worst to deal with).   

That's just a couple of examples.

You're being kind of vague, but it sounds like you're saying it's strange to learn from your mistakes?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
So, I'm reading that we were going to have to let these guys go anyway.  So, no harm no foul. #amirite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
First off, don't really need to get lectured on the idiocy that went on during the Cold War days, I watched the duck and cover film on You Tube just the other day.  Or better yet, the notes sent home from school, "What do you want us to do with your son or daughter in case of Nuclear Attack"?  A.  Send them home.  B. Keep them sheltered in place at school.

And NO, not saying we learned from our mistakes, I guess if you call "learning" somewhat stopping direct support of really bad guys after 1000's had been killed, and hundreds of thousands displaced . . . than okay.  A mild golf clap for "learning from mistakes".

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »
So, I'm reading that we were going to have to let these guys go anyway.  So, no harm no foul. #amirite

What's the mean time avg of indefinite detention running these days?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »
First off, don't really need to get lectured on the idiocy that went on during the Cold War days, I watched the duck and cover film on You Tube just the other day.  Or better yet, the notes sent home from school, "What do you want us to do with your son or daughter in case of Nuclear Attack"?  A.  Send them home.  B. Keep them sheltered in place at school.

It was really really strange, right?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 03:16:37 PM »

POWs are generally released when wars end.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »

Sure, I've thought about a a Cold War Tour, a car trip around the country looking at all the billions of dollars in left over cold war relics with numerous other stops along the way for various dining, pak'ing and touristy experiences.   Maybe someday.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »

Sure, I've thought about a a Cold War Tour, a car trip around the country looking at all the billions of dollars in left over cold war relics with numerous other stops along the way for various dining, pak'ing and touristy experiences.   Maybe someday.

I'm just curious if Dax marked A or B on that note

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »
I watched the duck and cover film on You Tube just the other day.

Sure, I've thought about a Cold War Tour...  Maybe someday.

as much as i hate dax, this is just delightful.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2014, 04:24:16 PM »
Looks like the guys that are running our government make similar trades as our Royals franchise. Hmm. Interesting.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 04:27:12 PM »
I watched the duck and cover film on You Tube just the other day.

Sure, I've thought about a Cold War Tour...  Maybe someday.

as much as i hate dax, this is just delightful.

Don't hate

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 05:19:46 PM »

POWs are generally released when wars end.

What war is ending?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2014, 05:24:51 PM »
Didn't the Defense department and CIA just declare that AQ and Taliban no longer represent a clear direct danger to US?  Pretty sure that was on the radio last week.  So, are we doubling down on Boko Haraim(SP) and the like, or is the war about to be over.

Also, cutting all but like 6K troops out of Afghanistan in the next year or so. 

:dunno:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2014, 05:38:03 PM »
Prisoners of war have been exchanged many times before wars ended.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 05:38:35 PM »
Although I'm not even really sure what "war" we have been fighting.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »
Although I'm not even really sure what "war" we have been fighting.

That's the problem - it's not a war in the traditional sense. These are terrorists - not soldiers. The "war" never ends for these fucksticks. Never. Libtards don't seem to understand this, or don't want to. Maybe next we can have a little powwow with AQ on an aircraft carrier or something and sign a peace treaty.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2014, 06:48:03 PM »
If we leave them alone they will leave us alone. I'm not worried about them in any way.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2014, 06:51:28 PM »
If we leave them alone they will leave us alone. I'm not worried about them in any way.
:lol:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2014, 07:04:18 PM »
The problem is, many times "them" is "us".   When we want "them" to overthrow somebody, we smuggle arms to them, or set-up proxies to do it, and to provide support, or safe haven etc. etc.

No better cover story for meddling in things than the "war on terror".   

Want more U.S. presence in Africa . . . War on Terror.   You get the idea.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2014, 07:13:44 PM »
The problem is, many times "them" is "us".   When we want "them" to overthrow somebody, we smuggle arms to them, or set-up proxies to do it, and to provide support, or safe haven etc. etc.

No better cover story for meddling in things than the "war on terror".   

Want more U.S. presence in Africa . . . War on Terror.   You get the idea.

I totally agree, that's why you transition to humanitarian involvement as soon as it's feasible. Until then, leave "them" alone.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2014, 08:20:16 PM »
We aren't ever going to leave them alone. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best