Author Topic: So it turns out we do negotiate with terrorists  (Read 36422 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So it turns out we do negotiate with terrorists
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:44:34 PM »
and as with all matters of foreign policy, this admin does it really badly. So we're doing 5 for 1 now? The going rate for 1 American soldier* is 5 of the baddest baddies in the AQ network?

Even better, Obama ignored the law requiring Congressional approval of all transfers from Gitmo, so he gets to take all the "credit" for this one.  :thumbsup:

Said Obama (seriously, he said it, so I have to assume he believes it): "While we are mindful of the challenges, it is our hope [the trade] could potentially open the door for broader discussions among Afghans about the future of their country by building confidence that it is possible for all sides to find common ground.” When asked for comment, President Carter remarked "JFC, what a rough ridin' pussy."

*who probably deserted, but seems like a lousy trade regardless.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:51:23 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: So it turns out we do negotiate with terrorists
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 12:20:24 AM »
I'm okay with negotiating with terrorists in some circumstances and I think you're a pretty gigungous idiot if you can't imagine a scenario where negotiating with a terrorist isn't the best move.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 12:29:56 AM »
We should replace every soldier with a health professional if we want to stop terrorism. Or at least think about things that way.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:35:10 AM »
And I think we should take that guy back even if he deserted. I mean why not?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:01:59 AM »
I'm okay with negotiating with terrorists in some circumstances and I think you're a pretty gigungous idiot if you can't imagine a scenario where negotiating with a terrorist isn't the best move.

Yeah, my problem isn't so much the negotiation in principle, but the shitty negotiation by this admin. And I also think we should have "taken him back" even if he deserted - I'm just not sure that a deserter is worth 5 AQ commanders.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:17:53 AM »
And I think we should take that guy back even if he deserted. I mean why not?

We should for sure take him back so we can execute him.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:34:30 AM »
I hope they blasted the eff out of the dudes that were holding him as soon as he was in the chopper.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:35:20 AM »
I hope they blasted the eff out of the dudes that were holding him as soon as he was in the chopper.

just like air force one!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »
I don't have a problem with the trade, it's not like there is a limit to the number of islamic extremists that hate america. plus these guys have been out of the loop for 10+ years and will probably drag AQ down as the young guys try to teach them how to use outlook and crap.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 08:43:38 AM »
I don't have a problem with the trade, it's not like there is a limit to the number of islamic extremists that hate america. plus these guys have been out of the loop for 10+ years and will probably drag AQ down as the young guys try to teach them how to use outlook and crap.
:lol:

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 08:53:11 AM »

Don't disagree with you but this most certainly was not the time to do it.
Please don't ban me, Mr. Dave.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
What did the AQ dudes we were holding do?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 11:48:15 AM »
What did the AQ dudes we were holding do?

I thought I heard they were gov't officials

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »
They were Tallyban, not AQ.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »
ok, so what did they do?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
From CNN

CNN profiled them two years ago, when their names first surfaced as candidates for a transfer as part of talks with the Taliban:

Khair Ulla Said Wali Khairkhwa

Khairkhwa was an early member of the Taliban in 1994 and was interior minister during the Taliban's rule. He hails from the same tribe as Afghan President Hamid Karzai and was captured in January 2002. Khairkhwa's most prominent position was as governor of Herat province from 1999 to 2001, and he was alleged to have been "directly associated" with Osama bin Laden. According to a detainee assessment, Khairkhwa also was probably associated with al Qaeda's now-deceased leader in Iraq, Abu Musab al Zarqawi. He is described as one of the "major opium drug lords in western Afghanistan" and a "friend" of Karzai. He was arrested in Pakistan and was transferred to Guantanamo in May 2002. During questioning, Khairkhwa denied all knowledge of extremist activities.

Mullah Mohammad Fazl

Fazl commanded the main force fighting the U.S.-backed Northern Alliance in 2001, and served as chief of army staff under the Taliban regime. He has been accused of war crimes during Afghanistan's civil war in the 1990s. Fazl was detained after surrendering to Abdul Rashid Dostam, the leader of Afghanistan's Uzbek community, in November 2001. He was wanted by the United Nations in connection with the massacre of thousands of Afghan Shiites during the Taliban's rule. "When asked about the murders, he did not express any regret," according to the detainee assessment. He was alleged to have been associated with several militant Islamist groups, including al Qaeda. He was transferred into U.S. custody in December 2001 and was one of the first arrivals at Guantanamo, where he was assessed as having high intelligence value.

Mullah Norullah Noori

Noori served as governor of Balkh province in the Taliban regime and played some role in coordinating the fight against the Northern Alliance. Like Fazl, Noori was detained after surrendering to Dostam, the Uzbek leader, in 2001. Noori claimed during interrogation that "he never received any weapons or military training." According to 2008 detainee assessment, Noori "continues to deny his role, importance and level of access to Taliban officials." That same assessment characterized him as high risk and of high intelligence value.

Abdul Haq Wasiq

Wasiq was the deputy chief of the Taliban regime's intelligence service. His cousin was head of the service. An administrative review in 2007 cited a source as saying that Wasiq was also "an al Qaeda intelligence member" and had links with members of another militant Islamist group, Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin. Wasiq claimed, according to the review, that he was arrested while trying to help the United States locate senior Taliban figures. He denied any links to militant groups.

Mohammad Nabi Omari

Omari was a minor Taliban official in Khost Province. According to the first administrative review in 2004, he was a member of the Taliban and associated with both al Qaeda and another militant group Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin. He was the Taliban's chief of communications and helped al Qaeda members escape from Afghanistan to Pakistan. Omari acknowledged during hearings that he had worked for the Taliban but denied connections with militant groups. He also said that he had worked with a U.S. operative named Mark to try to track down Taliban leader Mullah Omar.

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »
We're gonna have to take some steps to develop some sort of peace with that part of the world. 

The right wants the "war on terror" to be fought by the military, and this is usually what happens at the end of military wars.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »
they don't seem that scary.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 01:20:13 PM »
Looks like the Drones have some more targets hey Mich?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »
Looks like the Drones have some more targets hey Mich?

I think any US presence in Afghanistan should be humanitarian.

What made you think I was in favor of how this administration conducts war? (Although I do think (finally) getting out of Afghanistan is a positive.)

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »
You didn't get the memo? All too cool for school libs are drone agendites and very bad at formulating Venn Diagrams.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
is it probable that these released prisoners were implanted with nano tracking devices n crap?

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 01:53:02 PM »
is it probable that these released prisoners were implanted with nano tracking devices n crap?

Was just about to post this. Congrats on your GPS micro chips.
:dance:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »
If this administration isn't the strangest one in Post WWII history in terms of foreign policy (and relevant things) than it has to be very close.