Author Topic: Old article, but brilliant  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Old article, but brilliant
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:21:20 PM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline CatsFan_58

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Old article, but brilliant
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 11:58:34 PM »
http://www.thefreemanonline.org/columns/the-progressive-income-tax-in-us-history/
great read..
 "In other words, the principle behind the progressive income tax—the more you earn, the larger the percentage of tax you must pay—would have been appalling to the founders."

on a somewhat related note, i like how glenn beck always goes back to the founders when discussing current issues. his speech on progressivism was incredible.'
 our country's decline is saddening.   :sigh:

Offline dohminator

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »
I know, it's terrible how far down we have gone since the founding of this country.  It's just terrible that I can't own slaves, women get to vote, that our economy isn't based much on agriculture anymore.

Things change and we have to be willing to change or we will end up like we were in 1790. 

And those poor rich people, only having to pay an effective tax rate of 16%.  Yes, that's right, the top 400 earners in American pay less of a percentage in tax than you probably do. 

Your concern for rich people is stupid. 

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 08:40:43 PM »
I know, it's terrible how far down we have gone since the founding of this country.  It's just terrible that I can't own slaves, women get to vote, that our economy isn't based much on agriculture anymore.

Things change and we have to be willing to change or we will end up like we were in 1790. 

And those poor rich people, only having to pay an effective tax rate of 16%.  Yes, that's right, the top 400 earners in American pay less of a percentage in tax than you probably do. 

:facepalm:

Offline dohminator

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 11:10:30 PM »

It's obvious that progressive taxation has led to the decline and fall of America.  Just look at the last 100 years of taxation rates in America and the correlation that it has had with our terrible terrible decline.  America was a rich and powerful nation before progressive taxation, and now look at us. 

What this country needs is more regressive taxation.  eff the poor

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 12:14:05 AM »
Trivia:

Progressive income tax is called for in:

A) The U.S. Constitution
B) the communist manifesto

Offline CatsFan_58

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 12:30:56 AM »
Trivia:

Progressive income tax is called for in:

A) The U.S. Constitution
B) the communist manifesto
is it a?  :lol:

Offline dohminator

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 07:48:59 AM »
The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

Pretty sure that makes any form of income taxation part of the constitution, even if it was added later.  But that is why the founders made it possible to ammend the constitution, so that the government could change with the times and adjust to different needs. 

It's not like the extra amount taxed on the highest incomes is going to break the bank of anyone in that tax bracket.  But really, I'm glad you like rich people and want to help them out so much.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 08:18:34 AM »
The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

Pretty sure that makes any form of income taxation part of the constitution, even if it was added later.  But that is why the founders made it possible to ammend the constitution, so that the government could change with the times and adjust to different needs. 

It's not like the extra amount taxed on the highest incomes is going to break the bank of anyone in that tax bracket.  But really, I'm glad you like rich people and want to help them out so much.

Tell you what, I want you to go down the street and turn in your resume to the local welfare queen next time you're looking for a job.  See how far that gets you.

How is treating the rich as an unpopular minority any more correct than any other group? 

Its not that we love the rich, its because we are looking for "fairness" and equal treatment by the government.  As a bonus, it would be good for the economy.