Author Topic: Rare Photos of North Korea  (Read 95361 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Rare Photos of North Korea
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2011, 12:06:32 PM »
47% is just shy of 1 out of 2.  Also, that is from a separate source.  I initially heard the stat on NPR yesterday.  I pulled the above stat off of a diff site. 

Again, not hating on what is obviously your beloved city, just repeating what I have heard recently.

"reportedly?"

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2011, 12:07:58 PM »
man. this tortuga guy is really "coming out of his shell" to post his feelings in this thread.  :lol: :lol:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 12:08:29 PM »
47% is just shy of 1 out of 2.  Also, that is from a separate source.  I initially heard the stat on NPR yesterday.  I pulled the above stat off of a diff site. 

Again, not hating on what is obviously your beloved city, just repeating what I have heard recently.

"reportedly?"

That was copy/pasted directly from the link. 

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2011, 12:08:51 PM »
I agree on the oppy in Detroit.  Huge workforce just waiting for jobs.  Lots of cheap real estate for fabrication/manufacturing.  Lots of existing infrastructure for shipping.  Basically all it needs is money and someone with a good idea and balls.

Not hating, just repeating what I have heard recently.

As for reading:

What is the functional illiteracy rate in Detroit?
47% of metro Detroiters are reportedly functional illiterate.

http://www.detroitliteracy.org/faq.htm

My original comment was completely tongue in cheek. I don't actually believe that anyone in Detroit wants to move to NK. However, that "huge workforce just waiting for jobs" is going to be waiting a crap ton longer since we've out sourced damn near every job that a functional illiterate could do.

The education and training of the Detroit workforce is entirely different than virtually any growth industry today. The U.S. is still No. 1 in manufacturing but the industry employs a shitload fewer people due to productivity gains.

Those same gains means that the factory workers left are smarter/have more education than the previous generation. A high school diploma was fine for the guy pulling sheet metal off a stack and throwing it on a press. Not exactly what the company is looking for to run its robotic assemblies though.

Companies are more likely to locate in an area where the populace is trained. It's why the I-70 corridor in Missouri is attracting companies like Intel, IBM and Google for data storage. Yes, they're getting some incentives from the state, electricity is marginally cheaper in some locations there, but the primary factor for most of them was there is a trained workforce already in place.

Detroit isn't coming back until it can solve some really big issues that don't have any easy answers.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »
I really hope that you aren't saying that central MO has a higher intelligence base than Detroit.  I have never been to Detroit, but I have been to central MO often and I cannot image a place with a higher concentration of retards. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2011, 12:36:30 PM »
I really hope that you aren't saying that central MO has a higher intelligence base than Detroit.  I have never been to Detroit, but I have been to central MO often and I cannot image a place with a higher concentration of retards. 

:facepalm:

Yes, the I-70 corridor is full of retards.

In the 2000 census, 69 percent of people living in Detroit had a high school diploma (national rate is 83 percent) just 11 percent had a bachelors degree (half the national average).

Columbia has about half the number of bachelor's degrees despite having just 10 percent of the population of Detroit. St. Louis and KC (the actual cities) also have substantially higher rates of educational achievement than Detroit.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2011, 12:39:20 PM »
Go Pistons.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
Is it true that I can buy a house in Detroit with loose change that I find in my couch?

Pretty much

http://www.foreclosuredataonline.com/homes/MI/WAYNE/DETROIT/

http://detroit.wayne.mi.foreclosuredatabank.com/

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/08/real_estate/thousand_dollar_homes/index.htm

There are brand new townhomes within walking distance of Fox Theatre that are under $100,000.  So yeah, the foreclosures are available for a few thousand in back taxes, but buying new is pretty attractive too.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
Here's a good one:

http://www.urbanophile.com/2011/01/25/yes-there-are-grocery-stores-in-detroit-by-james-griffioen/

There was lots of good info there.  Especially this:

A couple of them are even Aldi stores, a chain supermarket operated by the same company that owns Trader Joes.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2011, 02:03:38 PM »
Congrats goEMAW! A topic on rare photos of North Korea devolved into how cheap foreclosed houses are in Detroit.
 :thumbsup:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »
Meanwhile, in the most amazing building that's ever been abandoned half way complete and now completely stuffed full with orphans:

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
Looks like they've been working on that for 600 years

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2011, 02:28:25 PM »
Yes, looks very Indiana Jonsey. 

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »
Meanwhile, in the most amazing building that's ever been abandoned half way complete and now completely stuffed full with orphans:

IT WILL BE COMPLETED ONE DAY, COMRADES!!!

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2011, 02:54:42 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  at this thread.  North Korea looks awful.  Insert resident business geniuses (or is in genii) talking about wonderful opportunities in Detroit :lol: :lol: :lol:.  I guess that would explain the great flight of equity to the "rust belt".  Who wouldn't want to start a manufacturing company in a state with a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) workforce which is already organized and expects to earn $70k a year working 28 hours a week 40 weeks a year in a country which has the second highest corporate tax rate and a president that wants to tax CO2???  I mean WOW opportunity knocks!!!!!!   :facepalm:  

More Importantly, who the f*ck stole my user name???

Just glancing over this forum I can tell I've been missed.  Sadly, it looks like the mods didn't honor my request and preserve my name in its title.  :bawl:  chickenchits

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2011, 02:57:49 PM »
Here's a good one:

http://www.urbanophile.com/2011/01/25/yes-there-are-grocery-stores-in-detroit-by-james-griffioen/

There was lots of good info there.  Especially this:

A couple of them are even Aldi stores, a chain supermarket operated by the same company that owns Trader Joes.

You didn't know that? (They aren't actually operated by the same company, but have common ownership. I'm a bit of an Aldi connoisseur.)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  at this thread.  North Korea looks awful.  Insert resident business geniuses (or is in genii) talking about wonderful opportunities in Detroit :lol: :lol: :lol:.  I guess that would explain the great flight of equity to the "rust belt".  Who wouldn't want to start a manufacturing company in a state with a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) workforce which is already organized and expects to earn $70k a year working 28 hours a week 40 weeks a year in a country which has the second highest corporate tax rate and a president that wants to tax CO2???  I mean WOW opportunity knocks!!!!!!   :facepalm:  

Just glancing over this forum I can tell I've been missed.  Sadly, it looks like the mods didn't honor my request and preserve my name in its title.  :bawl:  chickenchits

Sounds like a squawk.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »

LOLs

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2011, 03:44:38 PM »

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2011, 03:46:37 PM »
People say a lot of things about Detroit that just aren't true.

A vendor of mine offices out of a suburb immediately west of Detroit.  She told me last week that 80% of murders in Detroit are unsolved.   :surprised:  It came up while she was telling me that her neighbor killed his wife and kids two weeks ago.  :surprised:

Pretty sure KCs unsolved murder rate is like 66%. Truly a Killa City
[

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2011, 03:47:33 PM »
living in north korea seems quite a bit like being amish.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »
living in north korea seems quite a bit like being amish.

Only with guns, cranes, and no horses.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2011, 04:10:21 PM »
Here's a good one:

have you tried meijer brand peanut butter?  it's outstanding.

yeah, I like the natural PB. Meijer has great in-house brand organic and natural foods.