Author Topic: Top Ten Head Football Coaches in College Right Now  (Read 13120 times)

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Re: Top Ten Head Football Coaches in College Right Now
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2016, 04:38:46 PM »
I think his Florida accomplishments put him in the discussion of top 10 all time, but he has only been an above average head coach for much of the past decade.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2016, 05:47:09 PM »
Yeah, this list is about right now.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2016, 06:35:31 PM »
I think his Florida accomplishments put him in the discussion of top 10 all time, but he has only been an above average head coach for much of the past decade.
thoughts on bear bryant?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2016, 06:52:14 PM »
i'm a bit surprised that eddie robinson isn't getting more love in this thread

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2016, 09:15:45 AM »
Harbaugh competed against Carroll and Kelly whereas Shaw competes against Helfrich and [insert USC coach here].  Given the title of the thread, I also think you can give Harbaugh credit for 3 NFC title games and a super bowl appearance.  I give Harbaugh credit for building Stanford and, although they weren't full builds, instantly turning San Fran and Michigan into very competitive teams.  I probably underrated Shaw a bit but I would still take Harbaugh.

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2016, 03:55:43 PM »
Oh. On here? Pfffft. I could have told you we had idiots posting on here. Fwiw I see Harbaugh as a famous name that's rise is due mostly to that and not much else. What has he done? Nothing thar a crap ton of other coaches haven't done.

USD 2003 : 8 - 2
USD 2004 : 7 - 4

Stanford 2006 : 1 - 11
Stanford 2007 : 4 - 8

49ers 2010 : 6 - 10
49ers 2011 : 13 - 3 (Lost in NFC championship game, Coach of the Year)

Michigan 2014 : 5 - 7
Michigan 2015 : 10 - 3 (Defeated #19 Florida 41-7)

I don't think a lot of coaches can turn things around like he did at Stanford, San Francisco, and Michigan. People view Harbaugh as a great coach for the same reason Snyder is viewed as a great coach, they turned program(s) or team(s) around, and sustained success.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2016, 03:58:25 PM »
I think he's more famous now as a coach than he ever was as a player.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2016, 06:21:26 PM »
Harbaugh competed against Carroll and Kelly whereas Shaw competes against Helfrich and [insert USC coach here].  Given the title of the thread, I also think you can give Harbaugh credit for 3 NFC title games and a super bowl appearance.  I give Harbaugh credit for building Stanford and, although they weren't full builds, instantly turning San Fran and Michigan into very competitive teams.  I probably underrated Shaw a bit but I would still take Harbaugh.

Shaw was 1-1 against Kelly

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2016, 04:15:04 AM »
Oh. On here? Pfffft. I could have told you we had idiots posting on here. Fwiw I see Harbaugh as a famous name that's rise is due mostly to that and not much else. What has he done? Nothing thar a crap ton of other coaches haven't done.

I don't think a lot of coaches can turn things around like he did at Stanford, San Francisco, and Michigan. People view Harbaugh as a great coach for the same reason Snyder is viewed as a great coach, they turned program(s) or team(s) around, and sustained success.

Did he get fired from San Francisco?   And winning with other people's players isn't that impressive.   I sure as he don't see oscar Webber on any top ten coaches lists.

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2016, 08:50:36 AM »
Don't be obtuse, he won with his own players.  He improved upon an already great program at USD, turned Stanford into a top tier PAC team, and there's obviously not enough data for Michigan, and your statement doesn't apply to the NFL, where he simply kicked ass and took names.  Comparing him to oscar Weber would be like comparing you to someone with above average intelligence.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2016, 08:54:18 AM »

Did he get fired from San Francisco?   And winning with other people's players isn't that impressive.   I sure as he don't see oscar Webber on any top ten coaches lists.
:flush:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2016, 11:30:16 AM »

Shaw was 1-1 against Kelly

I meant it as getting a Pac 12 championship was a lot tougher with more consistently strong programs.  I would put Shaw ahead of Kelly for what it's worth.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »
I need to update this list.  Obviously, Dabo needs to move up a tier and with Stoop and Miles out of the game (for now) others can move into their spots.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »
The list is tough right now.

I think these 4 are definitely the upper echelon.

Saban
Dabo
Meyer
Fisher

Then these:
Richt
Shaw
Patterson
Peterson
Shaw
Harbaugh

Others to consider:
Dantonio
Gundy
Petrino
Franklin
Malzahn
Mullen
Kelly

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2017, 10:52:19 AM »
FSU fans want jimbo fired, same with aggies not sure if it’s coaching injuries expectations or a combo of all three. I try to look at in season progress as well as overall what Campbell and Fitzgerald have done is impressive, same for both Arizona schools. I’d tier them as

Saban
Dabo
Meyer

Mahlzan
Riley
Patterson
Richt
Smart
Wiskys coach

Peterson
Shaw
Campbell
Fleck
Fisher
Harbaugh
Rich rod (can’t believe I? typed that
Leach

The rest

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »
Good points.

I thought about dropping Fisher the next tier because of this season, but he still has an impressive run. Its hard to know if this is just an isolated season or not.

I was a bit cautious including coaches that haven't been there more than 3 or 4 years, ie. Fleck, Smart, Campbell.

I can see including Chryst (Wiscy coach) at least in the consider category.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2017, 11:01:52 AM »
I need to update this list.  Obviously, Dabo needs to move up a tier and with Stoop and Miles out of the game (for now) others can move into their spots.

fun fact: Dabo was never an offensive or defensive coordinator in his career

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »

fun fact: Dabo was never an offensive or defensive coordinator in his career

:Chirp:

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2017, 11:32:52 AM »
Good points.

I thought about dropping Fisher the next tier because of this season, but he still has an impressive run. Its hard to know if this is just an isolated season or not.

I was a bit cautious including coaches that haven't been there more than 3 or 4 years, ie. Fleck, Smart, Campbell.

I understand but its not the same as it was in hell even the late 2000's look at frost for example, he took a team that was winless just a couple of years ago and is undefeated and headed to florida now. he will get 2-3 years and if he isn't successful he will be fired. there really isn't a lot of longevity in coaching with all these young guys. that why id love a hire like stoops/kelly/venables guys like that will put together a good staff and when they move on or actually retire hopefully you can promote from within (could be posted in this thread or the terrible ksu coaches thread but the point still stands)

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2017, 12:42:21 PM »
Good points.

I understand but its not the same as it was in hell even the late 2000's look at frost for example, he took a team that was winless just a couple of years ago and is undefeated and headed to florida now. he will get 2-3 years and if he isn't successful he will be fired. there really isn't a lot of longevity in coaching with all these young guys. that why id love a hire like stoops/kelly/venables guys like that will put together a good staff and when they move on or actually retire hopefully you can promote from within (could be posted in this thread or the terrible ksu coaches thread but the point still stands)

I can't tell if you are trolling here....are you suggesting KSU can hire Stoops and/or Kelly...guys who will "put together a good staff" for when they move on?  I'm no sure why you would rule out hiring Saban or Meyer.  They would be at the top of my list if i were in your shoes.  Seems like you are settling for a Stoops or Kelly.

I think my earlier posts about expectations were pretty spot on.  You are going to be soooo disappointed with whoever we hire.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2017, 12:54:28 PM »
Good points.

I can't tell if you are trolling here....are you suggesting KSU can hire Stoops and/or Kelly...guys who will "put together a good staff" for when they move on?  I'm no sure why you would rule out hiring Saban or Meyer.  They would be at the top of my list if i were in your shoes.  Seems like you are settling for a Stoops or Kelly.

I think my earlier posts about expectations were pretty spot on.  You are going to be soooo disappointed with whoever we hire.
youre right my expectations shouldn't be high, I mean hell we shouldn't even make the phone call.  lets just hire another prince and see what happens. get the kleenex ready mommas gonna need them

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2017, 01:03:20 PM »
FSU fans calling for Fisher to be fired after one bad year are idiots.

Really it is amazing how Saban is able to keep Alabama at the top year after year.  Almost no program is safe from the occasional WTF year.  Among active coaches, I would probably put Saban (mayyyybe Meyer) in his own tier.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2017, 01:03:44 PM »
Good points.

youre right my expectations shouldn't be high, I mean hell we shouldn't even make the phone call.  lets just hire another prince and see what happens. get the kleenex ready mommas gonna need them

You can set your expectations as high as you want....that's your choice and you are the one that looks/sounds ridiculous.  You're probably the first person to bitch that we don't have a slew of 5 star recruits every class.  I love laughing at the tards on the phog thinking they could/can hire Harbaugh but the reality is we have the same types of fans....every fan base does I guess.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2017, 01:12:49 PM »
Good points.

You can set your expectations as high as you want....that's your choice and you are the one that looks/sounds ridiculous.  You're probably the first person to bitch that we don't have a slew of 5 star recruits every class.  I love laughing at the tards on the phog thinking they could/can hire Harbaugh but the reality is we have the same types of fans....every fan base does I guess.
so everyone that wants venzy is unrealistic? I'm sure you are a sean supporter and thats fine but to act and to continue to act like we are still in 1989 is ridiculous we have a solid following with great facilities and direct flights right into town, I know what our limitations are but that doesn't mean we can't exceed them or at least rough ridin' try to

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2017, 01:17:37 PM »
Good points.

so everyone that wants venzy is unrealistic? I'm sure you are a sean supporter and thats fine but to act and to continue to act like we are still in 1989 is ridiculous we have a solid following with great facilities and direct flights right into town, I know what our limitations are but that doesn't mean we can't exceed them or at least rough ridin' try to

You gave 3 names...Venzy is the only one that is even a possibility.  Don't change your stance now slim....the phog needs posts to laugh at too.