Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3979781 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 11:27:11 AM »
It's laughable that ku is an AAU school . . . in terms of many of their fellow AAU school their research and academic ranking is a joke.   

K-State Manhattan has just as much extramural research or more than ku Lawrence, they have to combine their medical center extramural research and ku lawrence to surpass K-State.    Compared to other major universities that have medical schools their total extramural research funding is extremely low.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 11:32:31 AM »

K-State Manhattan has just as much extramural research or more than ku Lawrence, they have to combine their medical center extramural research and ku lawrence to surpass K-State.    Compared to other major universities that have medical schools their total extramural research funding is extremely low.

This would have made an amazing sign at Gameday.

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 11:38:05 AM »
Nebraska makes sense.  According to their whiny fans, the Big 12 has been crapping all over them from Day 1; if that mentality extends upward to the power-broker types, they'll have been looking for a way out for years now.  Big 10 would probably go for it too, as there are plenty of positives there.  Would probably even take Missouri while they're at it to establish an even bigger TV footprint in that part of the country.

ND almost has to happen.  If the Big 10 adds Rutgers, everyone yawns.  If they add ND and Nebraska, everyone goes all  :runaway: -- and I doubt they do this expansion thing with the idea of going "small".  They're trying to compete with the SEC, not the Big East (lol).
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 11:42:33 AM »
Still don't fully believe Texas would leave . . . they have it to good in the Big 12, they would have multiple schools on par with them in financial horsepower in the Big 10.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »
I think the money people at Texas like what they have and would be willing to do this "okie schools, ks schools all the texas schools, + maybe tcu and/or houston/rice."

I don't think they want any part of FB champ games in Chicago (and to a lesser extent, Atlanta or LA).   

Also, as made of money as they seem, the non-revenue travel for them if they go Big 10 or SEC or Pac 10 would not be insignificant.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Texas is in no way a part of the Big 10 expansion, per se.

However, if Big Ten expands by 5, then major shifts will take place.  The Big East will be crushed, and their football schools will be looking for the next smoking ship out of town.  The ACC, SEC, and PAC 10 will have to ask themselves if they want to face reality and increase in size to match the Big 10 or just wait it out.

My money is on them trying to match the power of the Big 10 and not be left holding the bag.

The ACC is the most likely to scoop up the remaining Big East football schools, and the SEC is the most likely to make a run at the quad of UT/aTM/OU/OSU.  The Pac 10 would be wise to grab CU/Utah/BYU and perhaps someone like Boise, or even a Texas Tech.

Left behind like a whore on rapture will be Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Iowa State and probably Texas Tech.

This will all come to pass and you will all regard me as the prophet that I am....bask in my illumination.....BASK!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 12:28:04 PM »
Regarding the remains of the Big East of the Big 10 grabs 'Cuse, Rutgers and Pitt...there are only 8 football programs in the Big East.  The remaining schools will have to leave the Big East in order to stay in a BCS conference.

If I were the ACC (who already has 12 schools), I'd be snatching up some combination of the remaining Big East football programs; West Virginia, South Florida, Louisville, UCONN, and Cincinnati.

I suppose you could make the case that the Big 12 could go after Cincy and Lousiville if we lose NU and Mizzou.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »
I suppose you could make the case that the Big 12 could go after Cincy and Lousiville if we lose NU and Mizzou.

We would be a ridic. basketball conference if that happened  :surprised:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 12:32:49 PM »

Ya, I don't think that there is any question about whether we would want THEM, it's really about whether they would want US.  In my conference-end-of-days scenario above, they may have their pick between the ACC and the Big (cough, cough) 12.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 12:34:26 PM »

Ya, I don't think that there is any question about whether we would want THEM, it's really about whether they would want US.  In my conference-end-of-days scenario above, they may have their pick between the ACC and the Big (cough, cough) 12.

Yeah, none of the stuff you posted is happening so I'm not worried about it.  Just saying that in this particular hypothetical that's not happening we would have an amazing basketball conference. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 12:40:39 PM »

Yeah, none of the stuff you posted is happening so I'm not worried about it.  Just saying that in this particular hypothetical that's not happening we would have an amazing basketball conference. 

If I would have told you 10 years ago that the Big East would have 16 schools you would have called me crazy....you would have had me committed if I would have told you that only 8 of them would have football.

Quote from: steve dave
"Miami joining the ACC?  Preposterous!"

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 01:05:02 PM »
FALSE ALARM!

There is a dentist on Wabash who appears to disagree with this proposition.  Move along, nothing to see here.

:powerespect:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 01:09:14 PM »
I remember myself and a few others were trying to preach conference re-alignment to the Powertards 6 to 8 years ago and they all $hit their pants.  

My personal belief is, as I've said before is that K-State will end up in one of the super conferences with a seat at the table for BCS bowl games and such, it just will be the perceptionally weakest one.  

K-State will end up in a conference with the likes of Iowa State, TCU, Houston, Boise State, Fresno State, Washington State, Utah, Fresno State, Wyoming, Texas Tech and one if not both of the New Mexico Schools.    They'll be too much litigation and political intrusion if those schools are left out.   JMO.

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 01:12:52 PM »
There is absolutely nothing good that would come from a power school leaving this conference.  The Big 12 is entirely too top heavy.  If Texas leaves, A&M goes with, as Texas Legislature will not allow Texas to go anywhere w/o them.  The money lost from Texas' two flagship universities would cripple this conference.  Same w/ the North.  If Nebraska left, they have the luxury of making the decision for themselves and them alone, as does Missouri.  However, Nebraska and Missouri leaving would open up Pandoras Box of Conference realignment, IMO.  (The old SWC will never come back, thanks mostly to an isolated TV market inside the state of Texas).  With the North losing 2 teams, the big players in the south will either a) take 90% control of the Big 12, from TV, bowl slots, fanbase, recruting, etc.  The North will become even more insignificant than it has since 2003. The other option b) is for the South schools to shop themselves around, and lets face it....there are lots of options for nearly every South school to listen to.  Texas/A&M combo would be a huge get for any BCS Conference, more than likely the PAC-10, b/c no SEC East school administration is going to allow 2 Texas schools to join and cause a Division realignment that puts LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas in the same division.  The Pac10 and Big East likely get into a bidding war for an OU/OSU combo or an OU/TT combo. Or even an OU/KU. OSU would be in a positioin similar to ours.
I wouldn't be one bit surprised for the Big East to make a hard pu$h at KU joining up.  I don't see how anyone leaving the Big12 that doesn't put us into a MWC, C-USA conference.

catzacker

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 01:28:34 PM »
At the end of the day, all I hope is that for whatever conference we go to that we are allowed to take unlimited partial qualifiers again.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:31:20 PM by catzacker »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 02:27:54 PM »
At the end of the day, all I hope is that for whatever conference we go to that we are allowed to take unlimited partial qualifiers again.

:sliverlining:

Offline Bill Clarahan

• agricultural related person
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010, 02:33:34 PM »
There is absolutely nothing good that would come from a power school leaving this conference.  The Big 12 is entirely too top heavy.  If Texas leaves, A&M goes with, as Texas Legislature will not allow Texas to go anywhere w/o them.  The money lost from Texas' two flagship universities would cripple this conference.  Same w/ the North.  If Nebraska left, they have the luxury of making the decision for themselves and them alone, as does Missouri.  However, Nebraska and Missouri leaving would open up Pandoras Box of Conference realignment, IMO.  (The old SWC will never come back, thanks mostly to an isolated TV market inside the state of Texas).  With the North losing 2 teams, the big players in the south will either a) take 90% control of the Big 12, from TV, bowl slots, fanbase, recruting, etc.  The North will become even more insignificant than it has since 2003. The other option b) is for the South schools to shop themselves around, and lets face it....there are lots of options for nearly every South school to listen to.  Texas/A&M combo would be a huge get for any BCS Conference, more than likely the PAC-10, b/c no SEC East school administration is going to allow 2 Texas schools to join and cause a Division realignment that puts LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas in the same division.  The Pac10 and Big East likely get into a bidding war for an OU/OSU combo or an OU/TT combo. Or even an OU/KU. OSU would be in a positioin similar to ours.
I wouldn't be one bit surprised for the Big East to make a hard pu$h at KU joining up.  I don't see how anyone leaving the Big12 that doesn't put us into a MWC, C-USA conference.

I started to read this epiphany but developed a migrane, Cliffs notes?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »
meh.  new big 12, new conf usa, big east, wherever.  bball will be fine regardless, and if fball withers on the vine, so much the better.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »
I don't understand the underlying assumption that all these major conferences want to go to 16 teams.  The WAC did that before and it was a huge unmanageable clusterfrack.  Plus it just means more pieces you have to divide the pie into, and it would likely mean a smaller piece of the pie for each team by adding that many teams.  I can see the Big 10 adding one team, but the idea they want to jump to 16 just like that is silly.  Even more far fetched is the notion that the SEC would want to expand to 16. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 03:51:07 PM »
I don't understand the underlying assumption that all these major conferences want to go to 16 teams.  The WAC did that before and it was a huge unmanageable clusterfrack.  Plus it just means more pieces you have to divide the pie into, and it would likely mean a smaller piece of the pie for each team by adding that many teams.  I can see the Big 10 adding one team, but the idea they want to jump to 16 just like that is silly.  Even more far fetched is the notion that the SEC would want to expand to 16. 

"Silly" is an awfully strong word for something that the Big 10 itself has stated that they are considering.  Perhaps they'll dismiss it soon, but the point remains that it is currently listed as a possible option.

Let's take your position and assume that the SEC doesn't follow suit.

What about the PAC-10?  You think they sit still if the Big-10 (their bedfellow for many, many years) increases in size and gets a championship game?  At the least, the Pac-10 will move to 12....and that puts Colorado on the table.

So, we have the fact that the Big 10 is stating that they are actively considering increasing by as many as 5 schools, the reality that the Big East would be in severe disarray, and clear possibility that the PAC-10 would follow the Big-10's lead and move for their own championship game.   

What happens to the Big 12 if we lose NU, Mizzou and CU?  Just go grab some combination of Big East leftovers and WAC/MW teams?  I suppose that could happen and things would still be somewhat stable....but that's the best case scenario if the Big 10 comes after NU and Mizzou.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2010, 04:26:36 PM »

Seriously, I feel like I am the only one who understands that a meteor is headed directly for earth but no one around me cares.  Fellas, we are on the mother fracking cusp of mid-majorship.  IT'S frackING HEADED DIRECTLY FOR US! Not Joking, here.   There is really bad crap on the horizon.

Do you understand the implication of becoming a mid major school?  Do you?  Ever talked to someone from Colorado State?  Ever ask them about football?  They are fracking clueless, and they aren't even gorgeous mountain hippies like CU people are. 

Move over Wichita State, there's a new player in town.   :flush:

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

No, you're not the only one.  As _FAN can attest, I shared similar concerns with him after the Nebraska hoops game.

I think my ultimate conclusion was, if the State of Kansas is to remain relevant in college football long-term, then about two decades from now I would not be surprised to see serious discussion of a single state D-I school split into two campuses.   :surprised:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
Slimz the split campus thing is highly unlikely. 

I could see it if the Regents schools were set up like the Penn State system, but the genie is already out of the bottle in Kansas.   You would see overall support for the campus that didn't get the sports erode tremendously. 

I'll go back to what I said years ago.   The Kansas Regents aren't dumb, they know that decent to good sports is good for business.  Not even the most ardent academic wonk can overcome that reality.

catzacker

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2010, 04:54:51 PM »

I could see it if the Regents schools were set up like the Penn State system, but the genie is already out of the bottle in Kansas.   You would see overall support for the campus that didn't get the sports erode tremendously. 

I'll go back to what I said years ago.   The Kansas Regents aren't dumb, they know that decent to good sports is good for business.  Not even the most ardent academic wonk can overcome that reality.

so would they be the ones that would, ultimately, approve a university moving to another conference?  or is that not something that is "governed" by the BOR?  I would think that they would understand that taking care of both schools is in the best interest of the state as a whole.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2010, 05:00:11 PM »

so would they be the ones that would, ultimately, approve a university moving to another conference?  or is that not something that is "governed" by the BOR?  I would think that they would understand that taking care of both schools is in the best interest of the state as a whole.

Mom and Dad don't love us equally.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2010, 05:06:08 PM »
Unfortunately, this "why do they want 16 teams" is a not to distant relative to the "why is the NCAA tourny going to 96 teams" issue.  These organizations want as much "content" (games) as they can to maximize TV revenue.

Think of the Big 10 network - the more games they have that cover more media markets = more $$$.

On the flipside, the NCAA has allowed Champ games for over 10 years now and the PAC 10 has really never expressed much interest in expansion and it took the creation of the Big 10 network for the Big 10 to start moving toward it.  

The reality is, the really big time schools have plenty of money and are not as motivated by an extra couple mil as you might think.  I do not think the leadership at UT, tOSU or FU (and to a lesser extent the ATM, Wisc, UGA, etc) are saying "you know, what we really need is more money at the expense of the traditions that make our institutions great" At least that helps to get me to sleep at night :pray: