Author Topic: LHC Bill Snyder talks recruiting!  (Read 11617 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: LHC Bill Snyder talks recruiting!
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 12:22:13 PM »
For a program that didn't play in a bowl last year and plays in a relatively easy division, to volunteer to go on the road and be someone else's decent non-con win is so moronic I don't see how anyone can defend it.  Bowl eligibility should be the goal.  Not flying coast to coast to play a close game against a name team that also pretty much sucks (Miami, UCLA)

We can't just pay sh*tty teams to come play us any more.  We're going to have to go on the road to play (and lose) to f*cking Sun Belt teams.  Bottom line, WE'RE GOING TO LOSE EITHER WAY.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 12:54:12 PM »
bowl games are for gheys

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 02:23:36 PM »
Kinda doubt a game vs WKU is goin g to help wiith recruiting in any way.  At least the national exposure helps, especially if that game ends in a win vs a big name program in a fertile recruitng state.  Seems like games vs a relatively weak UCLA or Miami is not a bad thing.  Florida or USC, not so much.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »
Kinda doubt a game vs WKU is goin g to help wiith recruiting in any way.  At least the national exposure helps, especially if that game ends in a win vs a big name program in a fertile recruitng state.  Seems like games vs a relatively weak UCLA or Miami is not a bad thing.  Florida or USC, not so much.

You think that loss to UCLA last year was better for recruiting than a bowl trip?
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 03:46:41 PM »
And michcat, you and OK should 100% behind beating enough shitty teams to get bowl eligible a few years in a row. You know what that would do?

"Calm the waters", that's what.

When you're program-building, you should always play teams a little/lot worse than you whenever you can control it. I mean, name the four non-con teams that Alabama rolled over last year? How'd that help their recruiting?
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 03:48:53 PM »
And michcat, you and OK should 100% behind beating enough shitty teams to get bowl eligible a few years in a row. You know what that would do?

"Calm the waters", that's what.

When you're program-building, you should always play teams a little/lot worse than you whenever you can control it. I mean, name the four non-con teams that Alabama rolled over last year? How'd that help their recruiting?

Virginia Tech?

And you keep ignoring what I'm saying.  WE CAN'T BEAT ENOUGH SHITTY TEAMS TO GET BOWL ELIGIBLE.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 03:56:14 PM »
Quit treating LaLa like it was anything but an aberration. We would have beat them fairly easily by the end of the year.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 03:56:29 PM »
All I'm saying is that we're a shitty team so we should be allowed to enjoy watching big name schools kick our ass.  Feels better than little schools kicking our ass.

Also, scheduling small schools doesn't = winning/getting better

Recruiting/smart coaching = winning/getting better

So really, until our retirement village of a coaching staff leaves, it doesn't matter who we play, we're going to lose.

catzacker

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 03:59:30 PM »

You think that loss to UCLA last year was better for recruiting than a bowl trip?

I think having crappy assistants hurts our recruiting.  Good Assistants = Good Recruits = We don't worry about stupid things like bowl games and whether or not the LaLa game is on TV.

I mean, jfc, would the NIT have really helped Wooly?  No.  We’re arguing over the better band aid for the massive head wound the program has.  we f'ing suck.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 04:08:05 PM »
All I'm saying is that we're a shitty team so we should be allowed to enjoy watching big name schools kick our ass.  Feels better than little schools kicking our ass.

So really, until our retirement village of a coaching staff leaves, it doesn't matter who we play, we're going to lose.

Do you enjoy watching big name schools kick our ass?  :dunno:

Am I forgetting another loss to a small school last year? JFC, ULL's kicker hit a career-long FG in the rain to beat us at the last second with rough ridin' Carson Coffman at QB. It's not like we're regularly getting trounced by Sun Belt teams.

Scheduling smaller schools does equal winning, and winning equals bowl trips and bowl trips equal better recruiting and a more stable program.

I don't understand the mindset of "We'll never win with Snyder here so I'd rather lose a lot to awesome teams until he leaves."

We still get ISU, CU and KU in the north. Throw in four non-con creampuffs, and we're winning 7-8 games a year and going to bowls. WTF is wrong with that?

Offline Maccat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
We need to keep North Texas on the schedule to get that "Greek guy" to comeback and post.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 04:28:14 PM »
All I'm saying is that we're a shitty team so we should be allowed to enjoy watching big name schools kick our ass.  Feels better than little schools kicking our ass.

Am I forgetting another loss to a small school last year? JFC, ULL's kicker hit a career-long FG in the rain to beat us at the last second with fracking Carson Coffman at QB. It's not like we're regularly getting trounced by Sun Belt teams.

Scheduling smaller schools does equal winning, and winning equals bowl trips and bowl trips equal better recruiting and a more stable program.

I don't understand the mindset of "We'll never win with Snyder here so I'd rather lose a lot to awesome teams until he leaves."

We still get ISU, CU and KU in the north. Throw in four non-con creampuffs, and we're winning 7-8 games a year and going to bowls. WTF is wrong with that?

You can't schedule like we did in 98.  KSU is doing home-home series with UCF and North Texas and ULL, because we can't afford to pay 4 FBS schools to come in for guarantee games.

Also, if we're good enough to win 8/year, WTF is the harm in playing a non-sh*tty OOC opponent?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 04:31:17 PM »

That is Ricky Martin-esque gay.  Stop saying dumb crap.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 04:33:41 PM »
All I'm saying is that we're a shitty team so we should be allowed to enjoy watching big name schools kick our ass.  Feels better than little schools kicking our ass.

Am I forgetting another loss to a small school last year? JFC, ULL's kicker hit a career-long FG in the rain to beat us at the last second with fracking Carson Coffman at QB. It's not like we're regularly getting trounced by Sun Belt teams.

You can't schedule like we did in 98.  KSU is doing home-home series with UCF and North Texas and ULL, because we can't afford to pay 4 FBS schools to come in for guarantee games.

Also, if we're good enough to win 8/year, WTF is the harm in playing a non-sh*tty OOC opponent?

Only because everyone now schedules like we did in 98 and there aren't enough rummies to go around.

This talking point has been proven wrong for 15 years.  can we ditch it?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 04:34:41 PM »

I didn't say we had to play them all at home. Teams not named Alabama play OOC road games now. And that's 7-8/yr with four shitty OOCs. Do that for a few years, win some bowl games, then throw in something some games against non-shitty teams.

catzacker

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 04:35:27 PM »
would getting to a bowl game make del miller a better recruiter?  i mean, I guess it couldn't hurt his recruiting.

and getting 2 for 1's with mid majors instead of getting home/home's from bcs teams is absurdly stupid.  

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 04:35:37 PM »

What's so gay about that?  We're not a very good team.  I'd rather enjoy the game watching a big name team than watch some La-La school beat us.  At least we'd be getting paid for it, right?   :dunno:

There is absolutely no reason to believe that we'll be an above .500 team this season.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 04:36:30 PM »
For a program that didn't play in a bowl last year and plays in a relatively easy division, to volunteer to go on the road and be someone else's decent non-con win is so moronic I don't see how anyone can defend it.  Bowl eligibility should be the goal.  Not flying coast to coast to play a close game against a name team that also pretty much sucks (Miami, UCLA)

We can't just pay sh*tty teams to come play us any more.  We're going to have to go on the road to play (and lose) to f*cking Sun Belt teams.  Bottom line, WE'RE GOING TO LOSE EITHER WAY.

Look at some of the bowl eligible teams last season.  And the season before that.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »

What's so gay about that?  We're not a very good team.  I'd rather enjoy the game watching a big name team than watch some La-La school beat us.  At least we'd be getting paid for it, right?   :dunno:

There is absolutely no reason to believe that we'll be an above .500 team this season.

Every sports bar on the entire continent has "big name teams" playing on huge HD televisions every saturday from late August until after New Years.  Have at it. 

If you are having some "big name team watching" deficiency, the KSU schedule makers cannot help you.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »

Really, you don't think we can squeeze 6 wins out of that schedule?

UCLA
Mizzou State
Iowa State
Central Florida
Nebraska
@KU
@Baylor
Oklahoma State
Texas
@ Mizzou
@Colorado
@North Texas

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 04:53:20 PM »
For a program that didn't play in a bowl last year and plays in a relatively easy division, to volunteer to go on the road and be someone else's decent non-con win is so moronic I don't see how anyone can defend it.  Bowl eligibility should be the goal.  Not flying coast to coast to play a close game against a name team that also pretty much sucks (Miami, UCLA)

We can't just pay sh*tty teams to come play us any more.  We're going to have to go on the road to play (and lose) to f*cking Sun Belt teams.  Bottom line, WE'RE GOING TO LOSE EITHER WAY.

Look at some of the bowl eligible teams last season.  And the season before that.

what should I be looking for?  OOC schedules without BCS opponents?  Good luck w/ that.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »

UCLA
Mizzou State
Iowa State
Central Florida
Nebraska
@KU
@Baylor
Oklahoma State
Texas
@ Mizzou
@Colorado
@North Texas

What are the odds that it does NOT come down to the North Texas game?  I say 40%.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2010, 04:58:52 PM »

UCLA
Mizzou State
Iowa State
Central Florida
Nebraska
@KU
@Baylor
Oklahoma State
Texas
@ Mizzou
@Colorado
@North Texas
I see 5 road games.  To any reasonable person, with the current state of our program, that is 5 losses.  LHC Bill Snyder 2.0 hasn't won a true road game yet.  I hope to hell we can be competitive at home, but Texas, Nebraska, and OSU are games where we will be 14+ point underdogs.

Wins we should expect (confidence factor 1  = slight favorite, 3 = overwelming favorite)
UCLA (1) [probably being way too much of a homer]
Missouri State (3)
Central Florida (1)
@North Texas (2)

Next years schedule is hard.  It could easily be a disaster with only 2 wins.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2010, 05:00:59 PM »

UCLA
Mizzou State
Iowa State
Central Florida
Nebraska
@KU
@Baylor
Oklahoma State
Texas
@ Mizzou
@Colorado
@North Texas

What are the odds that it does NOT come down to the North Texas game?  I say 40%.

Take those odds and run!

A lot hinges on those first five home/neutral games.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2010, 05:02:32 PM »
Next years schedule is hard.  It could easily be a disaster with only 2 wins.

Wish you'd started here so I could have just ignored all the "confidence factor" stuff.