Author Topic: LHC Bill Snyder saved Kansas State University  (Read 40401 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: LHC Bill Snyder saved Kansas State University
« Reply #300 on: December 23, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »

The two overarching criticisms on this board are that he 1. doesn't recruit worth a damn and 2. didn't compete for a conference title this season despite a bunch of returning talent.  Which is it?  Either he doesn't recruit talented players, or he shouldn't be expected to compete for a conference title given the returning talent.  It can't really be both, can it?

Actually a fair point

It's actually a terrible point - you can think the current staff is good at identifying and landing talent but also think recruiting could be a little better. Also where's the option that they got badly outcoached in games like Vandy and WVU and Texas?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: LHC LHC Bill Snyder saved Kansas State University
« Reply #301 on: December 23, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »
Maybe if we recruited better we could develop players even more  :surprised:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 23, 2017, 12:45:58 PM »
Maybe if we recruited better we could develop players even more  :surprised:

Tell LHC Bill Snyder that.

His philosophy is interesting and worth discussion though. How much would player development be hurt if coaches spent more time on the road in season instead of watching film 12 hours a day?

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 23, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »

The two overarching criticisms on this board are that he 1. doesn't recruit worth a damn and 2. didn't compete for a conference title this season despite a bunch of returning talent.  Which is it?  Either he doesn't recruit talented players, or he shouldn't be expected to compete for a conference title given the returning talent.  It can't really be both, can it?

Actually a fair point

It's actually a terrible point - you can think the current staff is good at identifying and landing talent but also think recruiting could be a little better. Also where's the option that they got badly outcoached in games like Vandy and WVU and Texas?

:lol:   Let's not pretend that's what is meant by the bulk of the posters.  It would be difficult to argue that we couldn't be a little better in every discipline within the program.  But it's laughable to suggest that's what is being argued in about every recruiting discussion on this board.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 23, 2017, 03:58:39 PM »

Actually a fair point

Let's not pretend that's what is meant by the bulk of the posters.  It would be difficult to argue that we couldn't be a little better in every discipline within the program.  But it's laughable to suggest that's what is being argued in about every recruiting discussion on this board.

What is meant by the "bulk of the posters"?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 23, 2017, 03:58:48 PM »

Actually a fair point

Let's not pretend that's what is meant by the bulk of the posters.  It would be difficult to argue that we couldn't be a little better in every discipline within the program.  But it's laughable to suggest that's what is being argued in about every recruiting discussion on this board.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 23, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »

Actually a fair point

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 23, 2017, 04:09:56 PM »
Rusty

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 23, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »
Rusty

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 23, 2017, 04:10:39 PM »
Rusty

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 23, 2017, 04:17:40 PM »
the loudest voices on this blog.  don't play dumb rusty...you're better than that

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 23, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »
That guy just said "you people" if I'm not mistaken.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline purplehaze

• Combo-Fan
  • #RP4POTUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 24, 2017, 01:03:50 AM »

Actually a fair point

I think some people on this board that expected us to be contending for the XII this year are now more vocal than before about the state of our recruiting over that past few years. I don't think it's dichotomous as toothguy lays it out, but there is some hypocrisy with preseason expectations to compete for a championship and then saying our recruiting has been inadequate.

Considering that I do think we were relatively less talented this year compared to the XII even though our talent was better than most of the 2.0 rosters. XII was strong this year, there were only 2 bad teams this year and then 5 pretty good teams battling for #4 and this OU is the best XII team in years. Combine that with injuries and bad in-game management and our season was meh.

What I'm getting at is there were a lot of reasons we weren't very good this year. And yeah relative talent is one of them. But to be honest the only way kstate wins the XII is if it's a relative down year. Maybe that could change with venzy/leavitt, idk.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 24, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »

I have nothing against you people and in fact one of my lawyers is a you person.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 24, 2017, 09:16:08 AM »

I have nothing against you people and in fact one of my lawyers is a you person.

I have you people friends.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 24, 2017, 10:04:38 AM »

:ROFL:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 24, 2017, 10:50:30 AM »

Actually a fair point

I think some people on this board that expected us to be contending for the XII this year are now more vocal than before about the state of our recruiting over that past few years. I don't think it's dichotomous as toothguy lays it out, but there is some hypocrisy with preseason expectations to compete for a championship and then saying our recruiting has been inadequate.

Considering that I do think we were relatively less talented this year compared to the XII even though our talent was better than most of the 2.0 rosters. XII was strong this year, there were only 2 bad teams this year and then 5 pretty good teams battling for #4 and this OU is the best XII team in years. Combine that with injuries and bad in-game management and our season was meh.

What I'm getting at is there were a lot of reasons we weren't very good this year. And yeah relative talent is one of them. But to be honest the only way kstate wins the XII is if it's a relative down year. Maybe that could change with venzy/leavitt, idk.

This year felt like a one-in-four-year shot due to the roster/stars being aligned - not exactly a ringing endorsement of our recruiting prowess. I personally think the staff is pretty good at identifying talent they can land and developing starters but poor at putting quality young recruits in positions to be successful and at building depth in general.

I also certainly don't think anyone will be expecting title contention next year. Do you?

Offline purplehaze

• Combo-Fan
  • #RP4POTUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 24, 2017, 11:02:25 AM »

Actually a fair point

This year felt like a one-in-four-year shot due to the roster/stars being aligned - not exactly a ringing endorsement of our recruiting prowess. I personally think the staff is pretty good at identifying talent they can land and developing starters but poor at putting quality young recruits in positions to be successful and at building depth in general.

I also certainly don't think anyone will be expecting title contention next year. Do you?
Depends how many people we lose to transfers and the draft and who our coach is but maybe.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 24, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »
I hope wb tells us what the bulk of posters really mean by recruiting better

Offline Ihaveteeth

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Re: LHC LHC LHC Bill Snyder saved Kansas State University
« Reply #319 on: December 24, 2017, 06:18:00 PM »
Its pretty obvious.  Bill is bad at recruiting.  Also, he should have won the Big 12 despite multiple QB injuries because the returning players he recruited were so good.  This isn't a hypocritical position to take because Bill's staff is really good at coaching up players, so the only reason the terrible recruits were good enough to be expected to win the conference is because they were coached up so much and the only reason they didn't win the conference is because of poor coaching.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 24, 2017, 06:20:27 PM »
Oh, ok

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: LHC LHC LHC Bill Snyder saved Kansas State University
« Reply #321 on: December 24, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
Its pretty obvious.  Bill is bad at recruiting.  Also, he should have won the Big 12 despite multiple QB injuries because the returning players he recruited were so good.  This isn't a hypocritical position to take because Bill's staff is really good at coaching up players, so the only reason the terrible recruits were good enough to be expected to win the conference is because they were coached up so much and the only reason they didn't win the conference is because of poor coaching.

Welcome to life on goEMAW.  The reality is that although our recruiting could be better (what couldn't) it's only "horrible" to the retards that focus only on the webnerds rankings.  Bill is excellent at identifying talent and in particular talent that will excel in his program.  Even when those players excel and we land 4 players on the All Big 12 First Team, when the webnerds say our class is ranked last in the Big 12, the retards go nuts. 

I can't blame this year on a lack of talent.  We were competitive in every game sans the TCU game.  We lost some games we normally win.  And we did it all with a rotating door at qb...which is partly coaching, i will give you.  Regardless, we should have won a few more games this year.  Disappointing but nothing to freak out about.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 24, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »
We had three position players on first team All Big 12, fewer than TCU, Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma, and the same as Iowa State and Texas.

http://www.big12sports.com/pdf9/5463097.pdf

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 24, 2017, 10:14:50 PM »
If you return a ton of your players and still have a mediocre season then wondering if your talent level is up to par is a completely rational thing.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 24, 2017, 10:19:30 PM »
If you return a ton of your players and still have a mediocre season then wondering if your talent level is up to par is a completely rational thing.

WOAH, WHICH WAY DO YOU WANT IT PAL, YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH!