Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3981405 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26575 on: September 02, 2015, 12:45:49 PM »
We're screwed guys.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/what-would-a-four-super-conference-college-football-structure-look-like-7720855

3. Next in the power pecking order is the Big Ten, which cashes in on its evaluation of Oklahoma and Kansas and invites both. Oklahoma and Kansas tell their in-state brethren (Oklahoma State and Kansas State), “Sorry, it’s business.” Kansas joins the Big Ten West, Oklahoma joins a loaded Big Ten East.

6. The Big 12 refugees — Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Iowa State — seek refuge in the AAC or Mountain West conferences, and their fans cry themselves to sleep at night.
This is why the media doesn't make conference realignment decisions.

This is about as lazy as journalism gets.  Most of it just sounds like rambling, and the rest has zero reasoning behind it.  I'll bet it took more than twice as long to put together that graphic than it did to write the article.

Offline Big_Dipper

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26576 on: September 02, 2015, 12:58:51 PM »
Nobody reads the Houstonpress for sports, or anything else for that matter.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26577 on: September 02, 2015, 01:05:28 PM »
I still feel like the most likely things that will happen (in no particular order):

1) We will expand by two teams with a championship game re-established by 2017; GOR will extend another few years to go beyond the ACC's current time frame.
2) The college football playoff will expand to eight teams
3) All P5 conferences will get an autobid, one G5 will get an autobid, and you'll have two at large games
4) There will be no Big 12 Network
5) We'll try to find a way to make BYU work, but the logistics of a three time zone conference will be unmanageable.

Offline Big_Dipper

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26578 on: September 02, 2015, 01:10:10 PM »
I still feel like the most likely things that will happen (in no particular order):

1) We will expand by two teams with a championship game re-established by 2017; GOR will extend another few years to go beyond the ACC's current time frame.
3) All P5 conferences will get an autobid, one G5 will get an autobid, and you'll have two at large games
5) We'll try to find a way to make BYU work, but the logistics of a three time zone conference will be unmanageable.

4) is crazy today... When is ESPN going to pull the plug on the LHN? Just turn it into the conference network. FS1 suck taint.

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26579 on: September 02, 2015, 01:10:53 PM »
Any realignment article can be completely invalidated if they have Baylor going to the Pac-12. 

The Pac-12, especially the power cabal of Stanford and Cal, will never take a religiously affiliated private school.  You may as well chisel that on a tablet of stone.

The guy must imagine Ken Starr as superman if he thinks he could strong arm Baylor into the Pac-12  :lol:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26580 on: September 02, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »

4) is crazy today... When is ESPN going to pull the plug on the LHN? Just turn it into the conference network. FS1 suck taint.

It's a contract that I'm not sure ESPN can just break, and if we roll it into a conference network, I don't believe Texas will get $15 million a year unless everyone else basically donates to that effort out of their own pockets.

They've been pretty clear that if the conference were to do something, they'd look to potentially do something like streaming to get out ahead of where the market is today.  Could you get Netflix or Amazon Prime to overpay you for content?  Could you work something out with Fox to get all of the T3 rights they've already bought up into a streaming service?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26581 on: September 02, 2015, 01:20:47 PM »
What ever happened to having replays on netflix? I thought that had been part of some contract
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26582 on: September 02, 2015, 07:06:08 PM »
Also, he has UVA and VT splitting, which is probably not very likely, either.  There is a ton of political baggage and history that links those two together.

It was UVA that strong armed the ACC into taking VT in the first place.

4x16 will never happen.  You may see four super conferences, but no one will be left behind.  It may be 14, 16, 16, and 18 (or something like that). The legal and political ramifications are too significant to leave schools behind.

Oh no, no.   Phogistan has already determined that K-State doesn't have the political horsepower to throw a wrench into anything.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26583 on: September 02, 2015, 07:47:28 PM »
Also, he has UVA and VT splitting, which is probably not very likely, either.  There is a ton of political baggage and history that links those two together.

4x16 will never happen.  You may see four super conferences, but no one will be left behind.  It may be 14, 16, 16, and 18 (or something like that). The legal and political ramifications are too significant to leave schools behind.

Oh no, no.   Phogistan has already determined that K-State doesn't have the political horsepower to throw a wrench into anything.
If they could accept responsibility for their short comings and not blame K-State for them, they wouldn't want to separate from us. Of course, is absurd to wish that if them.

If you ask the average K-State fan if they'd want to be separated from KU, they'd say no. But then we know our basketball and women's track problems aren't caused by KU.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26584 on: September 02, 2015, 09:33:14 PM »

If they could accept responsibility for their short comings and not blame K-State for them, they wouldn't want to separate from us. Of course, is absurd to wish that if them.

If you ask the average K-State fan if they'd want to be separated from KU, they'd say no. But then we know our basketball and women's track problems aren't caused by KU.

I blame Texas more than anything for last season. But in all seriousness our Women's Track Team has been doing alright, last year was a pretty good year.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26585 on: September 02, 2015, 09:35:01 PM »
I hope the NCAA folds just so that we no longer have stuff like track.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26586 on: September 02, 2015, 10:09:10 PM »
For what it's worth, Houston has been doing work lately. The President has been working other Big 12 presidents, they're starting some major renovations to their basketball facility, and their new stadium is expandable to 60k.

Their BOR has started drumming up support in the state legislature for inclusion.  I guess, privately, the UP has been telling donors that these next two years are critical. So, the plan is probably for us to evaluate in 2015 and 2016.

Houston is a very real candidate right now.  Supposedly, Boren is a fan.  Lots of OU alumni in Houston (someone confirm?), and they are a Tier 1 research university, strong endowment, lots of potential corporate donors that are untapped, etc.

I think the top two contenders are Houston and Cincy, to be honest.  If the vote were held tomorrow, that's who I'd put my money on.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26587 on: September 02, 2015, 10:36:30 PM »

I've said it many times, but the real world examples of K-State making KU better athletically are too numerous to get into.   Their academic mediocrity and horrific football program are their own fault.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26588 on: September 03, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »
To expand on my Houston comments:

Their new basketball practice facility is worth $20 million.

http://www.uh.edu/plantops/projects/under-construction/basketball-practice-facility/

They are presenting new options for Hofheinz pavillion as well:

http://thedailycougar.com/2015/05/21/hofheinz-renovation-possibilities-presented-to-board-of-regents/

Houston has enough access to talent in all sports and a major market to potentially support them so that they'd be competitive very quickly.  I could see them being a TCU like school by the end of this TV contract if we brought them in around 2017/2018.

And before everyone talks about footprint, if we aren't doing a conference network, that doesn't really mean a whole lot.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26589 on: September 03, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
Not another Texas school.   Cinncy and Houston can build all the shiny new facilities they want, but they don't bring anything to the table.   Yes, our uneducated detractors would say the same about K-State, but as Chin documented in another thread, K-State brings viewers.    Neither Houston or Cinncy do that, because they're located in pro sports towns and in states that are dominated by larger schools. 

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26590 on: September 03, 2015, 09:50:12 AM »
Not another Texas school.   Cinncy and Houston can build all the shiny new facilities they want, but they don't bring anything to the table.   Yes, our uneducated detractors would say the same about K-State, but as Chin documented in another thread, K-State brings viewers.    Neither Houston or Cinncy do that, because they're located in pro sports towns and in states that are dominated by larger schools.

I'd agree with you, but the Houston/Cincy matchup on ESPN last year drew a 0.9 rating, which actually outdrew the OU/OSU matchup on FS1, which had a 0.7 rating.  If Houston played anyone with a pulse, they drew at least 1 million viewers.

Houston vs. BYU (Thursday @ 8:00): 1.05 million viewers
Houston vs. Cincy - 1.31 million viewers
Houston vs. Pitt - 2.11 million viewers

Some of that is a byproduct of being on ESPN.  But they're hamstrung by playing a lot of games on Thursday's and Friday's being a part of the AAC.

There's also another angle to this, which is the corporate sponsorship angle.  This is four years old, but a lot of it still rings true:

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/09/01/the-case-for-houston-to-the-big-12-economic-impact/

Although the Big 12 already gets a portion of the Houston market with its other Texas schools, adding U of H opens additional doors. Being in the market is different than simply having access to the market. Houston is the nation’s 6th largest radio market and 10th largest television market. (For more on this, see my piece on Forbes about ratings for both the Big 12 and U of H in Houston.) It’s also the fourth largest U.S. city. Houston is also the second-most fertile recruiting ground in the Big 12’s footprint, with 140 prospects from Houston signing letters of intent for FBS schools in 2011.

If that’s not enough, twenty-five of the companies listed in the Fortune 500 are headquartered in Houston, the third largest concentration in the United States. In addition, more than 3,500 U of H alums serve as President or CEO of their companies, including CEO Richard Anderson at Delta Airlines, CEO Karen Katz at Neiman Marcus, CEO Douglas Brooks at Brinker International and many more. Five of the six major energy companies in the United States are based in Houston.

Why is this important? Adding U of H gives the Big 12 a better ability to market to Houston-based businesses. Consider this: the Big 12’s corporate sponsors pale in comparison to the SEC. Although I don’t have the value of the sponsorships, the sheer difference in number of corporate partners is staggering. The Big 12 lists Chick-Fil-A, Dr. Pepper, Gatorade G Series, Motel 6, O’Reilly Auto Parts, Phillips 66 and Sirius/XM. Meanwhile, the SEC’s list includes: Allstate, AT&T, Dr. Pepper, Regions Bank, Aaron Rents, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Gatorade G Series, Golden Flake, Gulf Shore and Orange Beach, Macy’s, Merita, Iron Planet, Sonic, Texas Pete, UPS and Sirius/XM.

Let’s recap. Adding U of H to the Big 12 gives the conference a tangible location in the nation’s fourth-largest city, and one of the largest media markets. It gives the conference access to some of the largest companies in the nation. The conference would have a school located in the second-most fertile recruiting ground in the country. Sounds good so far.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26591 on: September 03, 2015, 09:59:21 AM »
adding schools that are named after cities feels so small timey

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26592 on: September 03, 2015, 10:19:24 AM »

Pitt isn't small timey.  Miami isn't small timey. 

Well, actually, Miami based on some metrics (attendance) is small timey, but people tend to disagree.

Cincy has an endowment over a billion dollars.  Houston's is over $600 million.  Cincy is on the short list if the AAU decides to expand again.  Houston has the third largest enrollment in the state of Texas and is one of three Tier 1 Research universities.  Academically, you can argue that they are more well respected than Tech.

If you put on the president's hat, and you start talking about what matters to them outside of athletics, they're going to talk about this kind of stuff.  WVU is strongly advocating for Cincy for a number of reasons, and if you really want stability as this GOR ends in 9 years, WVU is an asset that you must protect.  Depending on where the ACC is at that time, they may be looking to join that league if we don't offer them some sort of partner.

Both Cincy and Houston can, and have, fielded Top 25 teams outside of the power conferences.  If you give them our resources and branding, they can field consistently competitive teams in football and basketball.  Both schools have access to large pools of talent, and both of them can easily sell their T3 rights to Fox due to their proximity in relation to strong regional FSN networks that are anchored by MLB teams.

Also, the addition of Houston and Cincy give us two teams that can easily be accessed by a more geographically dispersed Eastern division where it could be easy for teams to travel there due to their strong travel infrastructure.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26593 on: September 03, 2015, 10:36:35 AM »
I'm completely rough ridin' opposed to adding anyone not currently in a power conference. I'd rather stay at ten than do that. If dumb crap Boren wants Houston, he needs to retire or get fired.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26594 on: September 03, 2015, 10:39:59 AM »
Very small timey

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26595 on: September 03, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »
I'm completely rough ridin' opposed to adding anyone not currently in a power conference. I'd rather stay at ten than do that. If dumb crap Boren wants Houston, he needs to retire or get fired.

This.  Happy at 10.  Don't want to add more TCU's. 

I would love it if Notre Dame loved the Big 12 more, but lack of rivalries and academics will probably prevent them from ever joining any conference other than ACC or Big 10.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26596 on: September 03, 2015, 11:10:10 AM »

This.  Happy at 10.  Don't want to add more TCU's. 

I would love it if Notre Dame loved the Big 12 more, but lack of rivalries and academics will probably prevent them from ever joining any conference other than ACC or Big 10.
Right, and I'd take the Clemsons or FSUs of the world obviously, but when the playoffs expand to 8, how awesome will it be to be in a 10 team power league? "Really, really awesome" is the correct answer.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26597 on: September 03, 2015, 11:14:32 AM »
hey let's water down the Big 12 even more, and have 2 more smelly mouthed kids to feed, no thanks

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #26598 on: September 03, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »
The only way Houston has a chance of joining the Big 12 is if one or more of the current 10 members leaves.  We aren't adding a small time commuter school in a market we already have.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26599 on: September 03, 2015, 11:16:27 AM »
The only thing K-State should be working on is figuring out how to lobby the Board of Regents to let us go on to a P4/5 Conference when the time comes and separate ourselves from the boat anchor that is KU.