Author Topic: Scrimmage video?  (Read 5796 times)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Scrimmage video?
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:15:20 AM »
Anyone?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Scrimmage video?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:12:30 AM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 04:08:38 PM »
here is a rundown of what I saw from Saturday's scrimmage.

SENIORS:

Will Spradling - I thought he looked good running the point. He took good care of the ball for the most part while also getting open and knocking down perimeter shots. All of those were very promising signs, but perhaps the best thing Spradling showed was poise. He looked comfortable and loose out there playing with this energetic bunch and I really like his attitude and role to start this season.

Shane Southwell - If K-State does in fact need Southwell to score a lot more this season, he showed he was ready. Southwell made shots from behind the arc, in the midrange game and even got to the rack a time or two. It was an all around solid performance that most would expect.

Omari Lawrence - Wally put it perfectly while sitting next to me during the scrimmage. Omari has all the tools to be a good player, but somehow finds to mess it up at the very end. That pretty much summed up his day Saturday. At one point, Omari got the rim with an athletic spin move and then just threw it up at the bottom of the rim. On another occasion, he took strong to the hole, got fouled and then air-balled a free throw. He didn't make the strides I thought he was capable of making this offseason.

Ryan Schultz - Didn't shoot the ball well, but didn't do anything bad, either.

JUNIORS:

Thomas Gipson - Man, the trimmed down Gip looks good. He still has his girth, but looks very fit and ready to go this season. The only downfall I saw from Saturday is he settled too much for midrange jumpers instead of going inside more. He has a nice stroke from 15-feet IF he has the legs and energy to shoot it, but he will need to be more of a banger down low because there is not very much depth in the frontcourt this season.

Nino Williams - I'll say it now, Nino will be the X factor for this team. They need bodies down low and Nino can be a good mismatch at the four spot. He was pretty active throughout the scrimmage, too. Nino won't ever be a huge numbers guy, but he can do the little things for this team to make a big, big difference this season.

Hopper - The Maine transfer was the best player on the court Saturday. Hands down. From stroking three's to catching lobs to jumping over guys for rebounds, Edwards showed why he is the best athlete on the roster. If K-State had him this season, they would be even more competitive. That's just how good he was. This year off will be very beneficial for him and his development and he'll also be a great guy to push the freshmen in practice.

Shawn Meyer - Suited up. Did not play a second. Yup.

SOPHOMORES:

D.J. Johnson - Johnson looked to have gotten better this offseason. He still has the same motor, which is great, but he also showed more finesse around the rim than he did at any point last season. However, I have a feeling Johnson can still be frustrating at times because he plays so hard he tends to make mistakes. Pretty confident with him in a reserve role this season.

Brandon Bolden - Plain and simple, the dude needs to put on weight in the worst way, work on finishing at the rim, and be more active. He is really athletic, though, and runs the floor really well. I really like his upside and think this year off will be huge for his development as well.

Vulture - Here's the thing with Brian: He may never see the floor in clutch situations, but he is the perfect guy for this team. He is a very smart player and has enough athleticism to be an absolute pest in practice. He's also a great locker room leader. I like what he brings to the table, even if he doesn't play much.

FRESHMEN:

Marcus Foster - Foster was as good as advertised when it comes to scoring the basketball and can do so in a variety of different ways. I was also impressed with his frame. He looked trimmed down (because he has the tendency to get a little chunky) and ran off screens well. I also thought he did a nice job handling the ball. Foster will be asked to do a lot for this team whether he is fully ready or not because the kid has got some talent.

Westicles - One of the best things about Saturday's scrimmage was learning that Wesley gained 15 pounds since arriving on campus. I was kinda skeptical when I first saw him play in June because of how slim he was, but all of that has since gone away. Wesley is a versatile player with great instincts, but struggles to shoot from the outside. Basically, he is a more athletic version of Shane when he was a freshman and even had a nice tip in. Wesley will be a much better player in game situations than he ever will be in a open gym setting. If structure is involved, Wesley has the potential to be quite productive.

Nigel Johnson - Some of the most entertainment was listening the coaches absolutely rip Nigel ALL SCRIMMAGE. It is pretty evident he isn't ready to play just yet after breaking his foot this summer and getting mono this fall. Nigel will be a project to catch him up to speed, but if he gets back to form, he can play a decent role. He reminds me a lot of Fred Brown.

Jack Karapetyan - Did not play, but seems to be walking just fine. Once he gets back, he brings good size and an incredible motor to this team.

Jevon Thomas - Was in attendance, but obviously did not play.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »
A lot of what we already knew took place during the scrimmage. Foster looked good. Great first step and looks the part of a 2 guard in the big12. Edwards and foster are going to be a great scoring duo next year when Edwards is eligible. second part of the scrimmage Edwards took over for his team and hit a couple threes then blew past a defender on the next possession and got to the rack for a layup. Westicles looked good, but it's going to bed to add some size to be more effective on the defensive end. but for now he will be a great help offensively at the 4. he is too quick for most 4s to defend and can pull them away from the lane. he doesn't rebound as well as Nino, but I think they will compliment each other nicely. Bolden had a couple nice oops and seems like he isn't afraid to attack the basket. These guys should be fun to watch in the upcoming years.

Gip looked a bit improved from last year. really seemed to look for that 15 footer that he was given quite a bit over the last couple years. I know some don't like Spradling, but he looked decent at the point and I think with this team he fits better at the point. he takes care of the ball and won't be relied on to score with foster and Southwell being there. he made a couple good decisions yesterday and took the shots when they were there and knocked them down. Nino works harder than anyone on the floor imo. Guy seems to be in on every board or putback.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
Thanks sys.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 04:14:34 PM »
Hopper looked really good. Smooth player and nice shot.

Jack K and J Thomas sat behind the scorers table and watched.

Have heard we could see a lot of Spradling, Foster, Southwell, Westicles, and Gipson line-up before Thomas gets eligible at semester...have also heard that Coach thinks he could have a light version of his best Illinois squad when he gets Thomas, Foster and Maine transfer on court together like Deron Williams, Luther Head and Dee Brown

Comparing those three with the Illini bunch that got to the Championship game, and also 2 of them pros is a strech...premature. But the potential to be good and win big is definiely there.

Also very poor attendance at scrimmage. Doubt we had 1000 fans. Frustrating since we had 30000 fans in parking lot.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »
Thanks sys.

i'm not done, _fan.  just give me a chance to finish typing.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »
Scrimmage was set up of three 8 minute segments. Multiple players switched squads each time to give different looks and matchups throughout. Both sides primarily played man to man halfcourt D in the 1st 2 periods and both sides went 2-3 zone for the final period.

It was a relatively small sample size but overall I was impressed with how the team as a whole looked. For the most part, the team shot the ball well, we're fairly athletic and strong throughout the roster, and everybody plays hard and scraps on both ends of the floor.

Spradling spent the majority of his time on the floor running the point. He did a good job of taking care of the ball, finding the open man, and taking what the defense gave him. He also shot the ball very well from distance. I believe he went about 3-6 from three, a couple of those makes were off the dribble (1 was off a pick n' roll at the top of the key and the other was in transition). He also went to the line frequently (several of these were "late scrimmage" situations where the other team was trying to lengthen the game by fouling), I believe he went 7-8 overall on FTs including 2-2 to give his squad a 3 pt lead with under 10 seconds to go in the last period. I think he led everyone on our roster in scoring throughout the scrimmage, finishing with 16 pts total. He did attack when given the opening and got off a couple floaters from about 8 ft, they didn't drop, but they had a chance to go in. Spradling has never been a dynamic penetrator off the dribble ( and it does not really look like we have a true penetrator/playmaker available right now. Hopefully Jevon Thomas can fill that role in time) but he did a great job of playing to his strengths yesterday. Again, a relatively small sample, but it was very encouraging to see Will play so well.

Southwell appears to have continued the same improvement he showed from his SO to JR seasons into his SR season. Simply put, he looks like our best player. He competed reasonably well on the glass and had a couple nice passes, which has always been a staple of his game, but it looks like he really continued his progression as a scoring threat. As I mentioned above, I don't think led all scorers for the scrimmage, but I do believe he scored in the most diverse ways on the team. He knocked down a couple threes, made a mid-range step back jumper and a floater, and also got to the rim a couple times off the dribble and was able to finish there. I believe he finished with 14 pts. He might have tried to do much a couple times resulting in a TO and a loose ball but, overall, it looks like he is playing at a high level with a lot of confidence.

Williams continues to really get after it on the glass and it does look like he has continued to improve his offensive skill level. He hit about 3 jumpers from 12-16 ft and 1 was off the dribble. He also had a quick spin move in the lane that got him a clean left-handed layup, he wasn't able to finish it, and obviously that's the most important part of the play but that type of skill was not something we have seen much from Nino in the past. I just hope he keeps working on it and is able to finish it in the future.

Gip appears to have improved his passing skills. He had a couple nice finds of cutting teammates while operating on the perimeter. He didn't make every shot he took from mid-range but he is showing a nice touch on it, he did knock down a 12 fter. His bread and butter is still being a horse in the paint and he was able to get a couple strong finishes around the rim through contact and duress.

Foster is a good looking athlete, it looks to me like he has slimmed down a bit from his HS days, with a good looking jumper from deep. He also had a couple good drives that he was able to finish at the rim, 1 of these was in transition. Right now, he is at his best when he is looking to score. When trying to be a playmaker, he might try to force things a bit much and try to get it to teammates who really aren't open. He did have a couple nice passes, 1 of which was an alley oop to Hopper. But overall right now you have to like his ability to shoot it from deep and finish at the rim with strength and athleticism. I think he also went about 3-6 from three and finished 13 pts in the scrimmage. Maybe his most impressive play was toward the end of the last scrimmage. His team was down 4 and 1 of his teammates missed his 2nd FT, it was a long rebound and the ball bounced out beyond the top of the key, he was able to beat Nigel Johnson to the loose ball and rose up in a hurry to drain a triple from the top of the key. As I mentioned above, Spradling was able to knock down a couple FTs after getting fouled to push the lead back to 3, but Foster's shot was impressive because he just drilled it with no hesitation and full confidence.

The first thing that jumps out to you about about Westicles is his length. Roster is listing him at 6'7", and sometimes those measurements can be padded but, I really think he's at least 6'6". I also think he's been able to put on some solid weight over the summer, looks a little more filled out than from his HS videos. He's just a very active and versatile player. He attacked the glass well and got at least 1 put back plus he did a good job getting open without the ball cutting to the basket, he was able to get to the FT line a couple times doing this and I think he went 3-4. He also knocked down a 10 ft jumper off the glass in the transition, he went 0-1 from 3, it was a decent looking shot from the wing that bounced on the rim a couple times that just didn't drop.

Nigel Johnson spent the majority of his time on the floor running the point. While he did not look completely comfortable out there the whole time, he had a couple nice moments. He did not really attempt to attack much off the dribble, he seems to be much more confident in his jumper at this point, but he did a decent job taking care of the ball. He did have 1 bad TO where he picked the ball up near mid-court and resulted in a backcourt violation for his team. He also had a very nice entry pass from the wing to Gip on the block, but Gip got the ball poked away from him just after that. I will also point out that I think Johnson was really competing on D. During 1 possession he was guarding Foster, it looked Foster had the step on the him and was getting into the lane but Johnson was able to recover and strip the ball from Foster, knocking the ball out of bounds. I believe Johnson finished with 4 pts, he knocked down a 16 ft jumper and went 2-2 on FTs.

Transfers:
Edwards looks like a strong, explosive athlete with a pretty good skill set that will hopefully continue to improve. He dominated the 2nd period of the scrimmage, scoring 13 pts and leading his team to a win. He started off by hammering home an alley oop from Marcus Foster in transition. Then he knocked down 2 spot up jumpers from deep, 1 from the baseline and 1 from the wing. Right after knocking down his 2nd 3, he got the defensive board on the other end of the court, pushed the ball the length of the court and was able to finish with about a 5 ft runner off the glass. He then actually sat down for a few minutes, and then upon re-entering the lineup, drained a deep 23 ft trey from the wing. I think everyone knew he was a high level athlete, but hopefully, he's going to be able to consistently knock down that 3 ball, it sure looked good on Saturday.

I believe Bolden is a legit 6'10", and while not the thickest guy in the world, he still has very good mobility for his height. He did not get a lot of opportunities offensively, but he made a couple nice plays. In drillwork before the scrimmage periods started, he caught and flushed an alley oop from Gipson in transition. In the final period of play, he made a nice catch of a slightly errant pass on the baseline and then drove into the lane (with his strong left hand) and found Spradling on the wing for an open 3, which Sprads knocked home. It was a very good setup from a 6'10" player.

And finally, recruits Javon Bess and Kevin Puryear were both in attendance at the scrimmage with their respective parents.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »
Was really impressed with edwards. He had 3 or 4 threes and had an impressive dunk on an alley oop thrown by foster. Southwell by far and away leading scorer. He had several floaters in the lane and hit multiple threes. Point guard could be a problem as I dont know if Nigel Johnson is quite ready. Our posts were decent, but no depth. Foster and Westicles will play right away. Westicles is a great ball handler and can drive well. Too skinny to defend in the post though. Foster really good all around player. Likes to push the ball up the floor. Scored a few baskets in transition but needs to work on decision making with passes.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
The test for Will, at the point, will be how he does in environments where the spotlight is on, where he is being truly harassed by capable perimeter defenders, and when he is asked to show some leadership and make some plays.  It's as much mental as it is physical.

This team is just too young, and too limited inside to have a senior guard who plays to avoid mistakes.  It just won't be enough.  I want to believe Will is a capable point, or that he will be a capable two, when he DOESN'T have two other perimeter players carrying to load...but I don't think I'd even bet lunch on it.

He will have his games...he is a decent player.  The question for him, in his last year of college basketball, is whether he can become a reliable player, game-in, game-out, and not completely disappear as he did so often last year, and the year before?  This team's prospects, for this first time in his career, are as much on his shoulders as anyone else's on the roster. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »
I like how you broke down your thoughts into different chunks and typed them separately. Really lets us see your process in evaluating the scrimmage, and from a HBBIQ poster like you that is appreciated.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »
thanks, it was fun to do.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »
Wally put it perfectly while sitting next to me during the scrimmage.

:surprised:

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »

credit where credit is due, trim.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 05:12:13 PM »
nice report sys  :thumbs:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 05:56:11 PM »
great work sys.  Thanks for taking the time

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 06:28:23 PM »

credit where credit is due, trim.

Very ethical.  T-Y for all this.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 06:44:29 PM »
 man, sys is such a valuable contributor to this blog  :thumbs:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 09:43:22 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to watch and then type all of those words sys.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 07:11:07 AM »
Yes, great job, sys.  Very positive assessment of the team outside of your Omari Lawrence recap.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 07:57:02 AM »
Great work as always sys

:Woot:

Offline beefpac

• The Mexecutioner
  • Fan
  • The future is coming!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »
(slow clap)

Well done.  :thumbs:
"Ever heard of that one, Stan?"

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 08:47:42 AM »
This was incredible.  :thumbs:

You make it sound like Nigel and Will were matched up at PG most of the time... Any chance Nigel was making Will look good by being not very good himself?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:06:04 AM by TownieCat »