Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 982983 times)

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2010, 03:25:54 PM »
cash back is lame cause you're just going to spend it on toilet paper or corndogs at riverfest or something. there are a bunch of airline credit cards that will give you enough miles for a free roundtrip ticket anywhere just for signing up. signup, use it for a month or two then cancel it. fly to mexico roundtrip for free (basically) and then repeat process.

I don't really like Mexico. 

california?

That works.  I got your point.  Just trying to be difficult. 

I love the idea of taking advantage of this stuff.  I don't know if it is feasible in my situation with the damage to credit history.  That's why I would like to find one good one and just get as much back as possible.  Won't change how much I buy or pay, would just make it go through one more step before hitting the checking account.  I also see the value in the free travel, I've just been trying to travel a lot less than I used to and it seems like free money would make more sense now.   :dunno: 

yeah. i was just trying to be difficult as well. you'd probably be best off w/ just a cashback card. that way you can stock up gobs and cash and then put a pool in your back yard or something. prob wouldn't even need a vacation if you had something like that.

also, a pretty easy way to make a quick hundred is this. also, if you have a wife and a different mailing address available for one of you, i bet you could get a quick two hundred... http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1847851

also, sd's amazing 100,000 BA airline miles thing is apparently back on. i'm gonna pull the trigger this time....
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=CQ7P&CAT=0&REF=null&AFFID=null&MSC=null&CELL=6R9F&PROMO=DF01&TABID=1

That would be amazing.  If we did that, all of our out of town friends would probably come visit us every weekend all summer.  We would probably see them all the time.  When they had kids they would probably bring their kids over to swim also. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
cash back is lame cause you're just going to spend it on toilet paper or corndogs at riverfest or something. there are a bunch of airline credit cards that will give you enough miles for a free roundtrip ticket anywhere just for signing up. signup, use it for a month or two then cancel it. fly to mexico roundtrip for free (basically) and then repeat process.

california?

I love the idea of taking advantage of this stuff.  I don't know if it is feasible in my situation with the damage to credit history.  That's why I would like to find one good one and just get as much back as possible.  Won't change how much I buy or pay, would just make it go through one more step before hitting the checking account.  I also see the value in the free travel, I've just been trying to travel a lot less than I used to and it seems like free money would make more sense now.   :dunno: 

yeah. i was just trying to be difficult as well. you'd probably be best off w/ just a cashback card. that way you can stock up gobs and cash and then put a pool in your back yard or something. prob wouldn't even need a vacation if you had something like that.

also, a pretty easy way to make a quick hundred is this. also, if you have a wife and a different mailing address available for one of you, i bet you could get a quick two hundred... http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1847851

also, sd's amazing 100,000 BA airline miles thing is apparently back on. i'm gonna pull the trigger this time....
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=CQ7P&CAT=0&REF=null&AFFID=null&MSC=null&CELL=6R9F&PROMO=DF01&TABID=1

That would be amazing.  If we did that, all of our out of town friends would probably come visit us every weekend all summer.  We would probably see them all the time.  When they had kids they would probably bring their kids over to swim also. 

sounds like you might want to stock up on swimming suits incase some of them forget to bring theirs.  :dunno:

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2010, 03:28:19 PM »
I also have a question for SD and the other churners out there. Does the constant applying for and canceling credit cards have any effect on your credit score?
If you aren't going to be applying for a mortgage within a year there is little downside re. your credit.  

This is my problem.  I buy a new house every year.  I just can't find a color I really like.  

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2010, 03:35:23 PM »

california?

sounds like you might want to stock up on swimming suits incase some of them forget to bring theirs.  :dunno:

Yeah that would be smart.  It would probably also be smart to cut back on the  :drink: so I could remember things that happen/people that show up.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2010, 09:53:40 AM »

sys, as your attorney I recommend you sign up for this immediately.  Spend $2k on it as soon as you can. 

:drool:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2010, 12:16:09 PM »
2 questions for the experts, as I am a young pup at this and have yet to take advantage.  1) I assume you have to hold onto the card til you travel to use the miles? And 2) can you burn some miles with them to pull upgrades?   :dunno:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2010, 12:32:33 PM »
2 questions for the experts, as I am a young pup at this and have yet to take advantage.  1) I assume you have to hold onto the card til you travel to use the miles? And 2) can you burn some miles with them to pull upgrades?   :dunno:

as soon as the credit card puts miles in to your account (whether it be... oh i don't know American Airlines, Priority Club, etc.) they are yours and you are free to cancel the card. The British Airways card that sd got and i just linked makes you spend 2000 in the first three months to get the full 100,000 miles though and has a yearly fee of $75. still an amazing deal. i signed my wife and i up last night. we'll spend the money to get the miles and then cancel, effectively paying $150 for 200,000 miles.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2010, 01:16:41 PM »
so where it says "executive club account number", you can put in any oneworld ff #?  they don't make you open a ba ec account?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2010, 01:43:43 PM »

as soon as the credit card puts miles in to your account (whether it be... oh i don't know American Airlines, Priority Club, etc.) they are yours and you are free to cancel the card. The British Airways card that sd got and i just linked makes you spend 2000 in the first three months to get the full 100,000 miles though and has a yearly fee of $75. still an amazing deal. i signed my wife and i up last night. we'll spend the money to get the miles and then cancel, effectively paying $150 for 200,000 miles.

:cheese:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2010, 02:35:54 PM »
so where it says "executive club account number", you can put in any oneworld ff #?  they don't make you open a ba ec account?

i believe that chase will assign you a BA executive club account number if you dont already have one, but i just went to the BA site and signed up for a BA exec club account number. it took less than five minutes.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2010, 03:05:44 PM »

i believe that chase will assign you a BA executive club account number if you dont already have one, but i just went to the BA site and signed up for a BA exec club account number. it took less than five minutes.

Yeah, you will have to start a BA executive club account.  Like daris said, doesn't take long. 

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2010, 03:16:32 PM »
this all makes my debit card change rollover look like childs play. :frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2010, 04:18:59 PM »
#2 Buy $1 Presidential Coins from the US Mint with your mileage earning credit cards. The maximum order is 2 boxes per coin type except the native american coin which allows 20 boxes. Many have reported success with repeated orders. Choose standard shipping and the shipping cost will disappear near the last screen. Here is the link When the coins arrive, deposit in your bank and pay your credit card bill.

Update: Native American Coins are available for up to 20 box orders. There is wording on the Mint Website that warns about using the Program for its intended purpose and not just redepositing your coins in a bank. In fact, some accounts are being closed for unintended use. Others are flying below the radar.

Warning, Warning, Warning
Chase has closed the accounts of two of our readers for using his cards for Mint purchases. US Bank is not awarding points for Mint purchases

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2010, 04:39:01 PM »
Chase has closed the accounts of two of our readers for using his cards for Mint purchases. US Bank is not awarding points for Mint purchases

:runaway:

daris, help!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
I think you may be ok making $2k in purchases from the mint if you just don't abuse it.  Or, spend what you can on the card for the first two months and make the rest up in Mint purchases during the third month to get to $2k in total spend if it looks like you will be short.  I dunno, I've never done the mint thing but a lot of people do.  When it was first discovered some people got millions of miles doing it. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2010, 04:49:38 PM »

:runaway:

daris, help!

dunno. where'd the quote come from? maybe it was someone who had purchased 100,000 worth of coins over the last year or something. hard to tell w/out the context.

also, if you are worried about not being able to spend 2000 in three months, you can get a card for a spouse (made up if needed). give it to a parent or something and ask them to use it for a month or two and reimburse you for charges. i also think (not 100% sure) that you could go to walmart (just an example) and buy a pack of gum and $500 worth of gift cards and this would count towards the $500. the key to the BA card is spending 2000 w/in the first three months though. it's the dif between *50,000 and100,000 miles.

*pretty big deal

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2010, 05:01:48 PM »
How many miles do I need on BA for a free flight? 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2010, 05:08:04 PM »

depends where you want to go. two people could fly from anywhere in the us to multiple places in europe for 100,000. i think sd and his wife are flying from omaha to hawaii for 100,000. BA is in the "one world alliance" w/ american airlines and a bunch of other airlines that i've barely heard of. that means that if BA doesn't fly where you are wanting to use your miles, then you can use one of the other airlines. sd and his wife are using their 100,000 BA airlines to take american airlines to hawaii and back (i think).

pretty easy to check. go to BA website and look at their executive club "how to spend miles" section.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »

depends where you want to go. two people could fly from anywhere in the us to multiple places in europe for 100,000. i think sd and his wife are flying from omaha to hawaii for 100,000. BA is in the "one world alliance" w/ american airlines and a bunch of other airlines that i've barely heard of. that means that if BA doesn't fly where you are wanting to use your miles, then you can use one of the other airlines. sd and his wife are using their 100,000 BA airlines to take american airlines to hawaii and back (i think).

pretty easy to check. go to BA website and look at their executive club "how to spend miles" section.

Yeah, we are flying AA to Hawaii.  It is 210k for 2 first class round trip or 70k for 2 round trip coach (so 105k or 35k per person RT).  It is only 30k for a round trip domestic flight.  iirc it was 50k for a RT to europe (at least to the major airports London/Paris/Munich/Madrid were the ones I checked). 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2010, 05:44:38 PM »
So did I screw up by not enrolling in the exec club before signing up for the card?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »
So did I screw up by not enrolling in the exec club before signing up for the card?

I didn't think you were even able to.  Dig around, I bet they set you up with an executive club number when you signed up or something.  Make some calls (hate doing this).

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2010, 05:47:04 PM »

Yeah, we are flying AA to Hawaii.  It is 210k for 2 first class round trip or 70k for 2 round trip coach (so 105k or 35k per person RT).  It is only 30k for a round trip domestic flight.  iirc it was 50k for a RT to europe (at least to the major airports London/Paris/Munich/Madrid were the ones I checked). 

also, BA adds a lot of taxes and fees and stuff for their flights, so using their miles to get free flights on their airline prob isn't as good of a value as using their miles to get flights on american. could be wrong here (don't think so) but only plan on using the BA miles to fly american.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
incredible info here.  so excited i really don't know where to start.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2010, 05:48:54 PM »

Yeah, we are flying AA to Hawaii.  It is 210k for 2 first class round trip or 70k for 2 round trip coach (so 105k or 35k per person RT).  It is only 30k for a round trip domestic flight.  iirc it was 50k for a RT to europe (at least to the major airports London/Paris/Munich/Madrid were the ones I checked).  

also, BA adds a lot of taxes and fees and stuff for their flights, so using their miles to get free flights on their airline prob isn't as good of a value as using their miles to get flights on american. could be wrong here (don't think so) but only plan on using the BA miles to fly american.

Yes, you still have to pay the fuel surcharges and taxes to fly BA which can get damn expensive.  But, if you fly AA, you pay a $5 booking fee.