Author Topic: fear of death  (Read 7594 times)

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: fear of death
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 12:49:04 PM »
i dont fear death as much as I do my first prostate exam at age 40 or whatever it is

Don't know what you are talking about I'm looking forward to Both  :drool: :excited:

:nono:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
If you believe that there is no afterlife, then theoretically death is no misfortune at all.   This is because if you fail to exist you cannot experience....and if you cannot experience then there is no misfortune.

However, if you are agnostic, you will live a life of torment until you die.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
This is because if you fail to exist you cannot experience....and if you cannot experience then there is no misfortune.

If you don't know that your spouse is cheating on you, you don't experience it.  But you're probably still not okay with your spouse cheating on you as long as you don't know about it.

Suppose we could remove one of your favorite things to do (like posting on goEMAW, e.g.) such that you are not aware that such a thing ever existed.  You'd be worse off without it.  And you'd be worse off despite being unable to experience it or know that you could be.  Dying entails the removal of everything in the world that you like to do.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 03:45:38 PM »
meh.  everybody dies sometime.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »

Suppose we could remove one of your favorite things to do (like posting on goEMAW, e.g.) such that you are not aware that such a thing ever existed.  You'd be worse off without it.  And you'd be worse off despite being unable to experience it or know that you could be.  Dying entails the removal of everything in the world that you like to do.

:cracksknuckles:

I am not harmed in anyway in your scenario because I didn't experience it.  

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 03:50:22 PM »
You worry too much / You make yourself sad
You can't change fate / But don't feel so bad
Enjoy it while you can / It's just like the weather
So quit complaining brother . . . . . . .
No one lives forever!!

Let's have a party there's a full moon in the sky
It's the hour of the wolf and I don't want to die

I'm so happy dancing while the grim reaper
Cuts, cuts, cuts
But he can't get me (I'm as)
Clever as can be, and I'm very quick, but don't forget
No one lives forever!!!

You think you got it rough / What about your darling doggy?
Ten short years / And he's getting old and groggy
I don't think it's very fair
Cold, chop, low, but it's all relative my friend 'cause
No one lives forever!!!
Let's have a party there's a full moon in the sky
It's the hour of the wolf and I
Don't want to die (but) . . .

No one beats him at his game
For very long but just the same
Who cares, there's no place safe to hide
Nowhere to run--no time to cry
So celebrate while you still can
'Cause any second it may end.
And when it's all been said and done . . .
Better that you had some fun
Instead of hiding in a shell-Why make your life a living hell?
So have a toast, and down the cup
And drink to bones that turn to dust ('cause) . . .
No one, no one, no one, no one . . . . . . . (etc.)
No one lives forever!! (Hey!)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 03:52:57 PM »
Joke's on you chumps, I'm living forever  :cool:

SD, you a vampire?  If so, PM.

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 03:57:50 PM »
Death is just another path along the journey.  It's only when you break the cycle of death and life that you truly begin to experience "being".

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »

are you harmed when you spouse cheats on you yet you don't experience it? the answer is yes.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »

are you harmed when you spouse cheats on you yet you don't experience it? the answer is yes.

Describe the harm.  What is the misfortune?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 04:44:34 PM »

Your life is shittier than it would be otherwise.  There's something about it that's a sham.  It's not genuine. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »

Your life is shittier than it would be otherwise.  There's something about it that's a sham.  It's not genuine. 

I mean, if you robbed some rich dude but he had no idea because he never missed the money you stole since he's so rich, a court is still going to say he was harmed, right?  Harm encompasses more than a boo boo on your elbow.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 04:57:27 PM »
Eternal life is a much more terrifying prospect than death.

Without pain, joy becomes meaningless. Without death, life becomes meaningless. Mortality is our greatest gift; it makes everything more beautiful.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 05:09:31 PM »
We have all not-experienced an infinity of calamitous events.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »
This is because if you fail to exist you cannot experience....and if you cannot experience then there is no misfortune.

If you don't know that your spouse is cheating on you, you don't experience it.  But you're probably still not okay with your spouse cheating on you as long as you don't know about it.

Very Pascal's Wager-ish post

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2010, 05:29:42 PM »

That is ridiculous.  If I never perceive it or any consequence then it effectively never happened.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »

Very Pascal's Wager-ish post

Chum is an epistomological mess.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2010, 05:37:42 PM »
If I never perceive it or any consequence then it effectively never happened.

So you don't care if your spouse cheats on you as long as you never find out, then, right? 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2010, 05:38:15 PM »

Do you know what that word means?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »

Do you know what that word means?

Yep. But, how do I know I do?  :jerk:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2010, 05:48:54 PM »
i agree with chum in the fact that death sucks. i could live forever and love it. i could live forever and do nothing and love it. lock me up in a house by myself and i would enjoy it. living is just fantastic. dying would suck because it's not living. you don't get to think and do stuff when you are dead. i could think about stuff and do stuff and not think about stuff and not do stuff for ever and ever and be happy. happy is better than nothing and dead is nothing. if i was unhappy then dying would be better. i'm not.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:55:42 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2010, 05:49:54 PM »
If I never perceive it or any consequence then it effectively never happened.

So you don't care if your spouse cheats on you as long as you never find out, then, right? 

Sure i care, but not because of the event itself....only because there is a chance of a negative consequnce of some kind.  If you could some how ensure that there would be no negative perceivable impact my spouse can go nuts for all I care.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2010, 05:55:05 PM »
You guys ever see that movie where that guy got a wish and he wished to live forever but then his guts got tore open or something so he was there in a ton of pain and wouldn't die? 
:surprised:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2010, 06:07:31 PM »
i agree with chum in the fact that death sucks. i could live forever and love it. i could live forever and do nothing and love it. lock me up in a house by myself and i would enjoy it. living is just fantastic. dying would suck because it's not living. you don't get to think and do stuff when you are dead. i could think about stuff and do stuff and not think about stuff and not do stuff for ever and ever and be happy. happy is better than nothing and dead is nothing. if i was unhappy then dying would be better. i'm not.

Good point.  Most people do, in fact, do the same crap over and over again during their lifetimes and they love it.

If you could some how ensure that there would be no negative perceivable impact my spouse can go nuts for all I care.

Your entire life could be a fraud.  Every accomplishment you thought you'd made, every friend you thought you had, all the good things you thought you'd done, etc.  All of it could be a fraud, but provided that you're not aware of the fraud, your life is just as good as it would be had those things been real?  I don't buy it.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »

Good point.  Most people do, in fact, do the same crap over and over again during their lifetimes and they love it.

If you could some how ensure that there would be no negative perceivable impact my spouse can go nuts for all I care.

Your entire life could be a fraud.  Every accomplishment you thought you'd made, every friend you thought you had, all the good things you thought you'd done, etc.  All of it could be a fraud, but provided that you're not aware of the fraud, your life is just as good as it would be had those things been real?  I don't buy it.
The thing is, it could be NOW.  You could have been kidnapped ten years, your brain removed from your skull and placed in a computer running a life simulation, while your entire family was tortured and everything you love destroyed.  You can't know that didn't happen.