Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »
wow, great stuff here by rd

I agree, RD is pretty fracking wise on this topic.  Though, RD has an ability to let water (crap) roll off his back that has ducks around the world gawking at him in amazement.  RD has the mental strength of a fracking jedi.

Now I'm scared again because I get frazzled really easily.  It's almost a full time job for me to put up with mrs. dave and message board. 

Don't discount that.

If you and mrs dave have "cracks in the foundation" then kids will rough ridin' crush you.   Just crush you.

kids make the worst parts of marriage a bagillion times more worse. 

I'm not saying don't do it, but there are loads of people out there who shouldn't.   Personally, I think you'd be fine.  But, to say that this is the biggest decision of your life is like saying ice is cold.

My father-in-law always used to say that once you have kids, 70% of the decisions you make the rest of your life are already made.....and it is SOOOOOOOOO rough ridin' true.  You are locked in, bro.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2010, 09:38:05 PM »
I probably have most stable and great marriage in the world.  That's definitely not an issue.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2010, 09:41:56 PM »
I probably have most stable and great marriage in the world.  That's definitely not an issue.

Good "box to check"

What about having crap strewn all over your house?  does that bug you?  are you cool with messiness?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »

Good "box to check"

What about having crap strewn all over your house?  does that bug you?  are you cool with messiness?

Absolutely not.  I'm a super neat freak.  This is another issue I know I would have to address.  Like, if a sock is not in the hamper or the toaster is on the counter I cannot sit down. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2010, 09:52:37 PM »

Good "box to check"

Absolutely not.  I'm a super neat freak.  This is another issue I know I would have to address.  Like, if a sock is not in the hamper or the toaster is on the counter I cannot sit down. 

That will eff with you really hard, bro.  No joke.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2010, 09:53:27 PM »
 :frown:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2010, 10:07:32 PM »

kids would be a change.  sounds like no where to go but down.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2010, 03:09:32 AM »
bet dollars to donuts that a similar thread on gopo is hilariously boring and predictable.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Perry

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2010, 03:20:30 AM »
As someone who is still pretty much a kid, I wouldn't recommend me :dunno:

Offline Maccat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2010, 10:09:13 AM »
It has it's ups and downs.  There is no better feeling in the world than when you have had a "shitty day" and walk thru the door and your kids are excited to see you. Make you forget about your day and happy to be home. 
I agree that some people should not have kids.  We do foster care and all I can says is I understand why the world is fracked-up. Steve, you'll be fine as a parent.  You are right parenthood is kind of a cult, people who are, are always trying to get you to join their group. See above.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
sd,

as someone who has never had kids, i feel that i am an expert on the subject of having kids. my expert opinion is that having kids will basically take away your free time, ability to travel, or have an elite, clean house where everything shines like the aviators i'm wearing right now. oh, plus your friends will hate you forever for no longer hanging out with them. want to keep fist pumping whenever and wherever you want? then don't have kids.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2010, 01:22:04 PM »
Just have kids in like 3 years.  Right now is the prime of your life for pak'n, basement bars, airline miles and BBS'n. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2010, 02:36:06 PM »
Just have kids in like 3 years.  Right now is the prime of your life for pak'n, basement bars, airline miles and BBS'n. 

wow, just wow...based on personal experience, i can safely say that any halfway normal/non Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) person can have kids and still excel in all areas mentioned above. so we're now apparently at a point in the thread where trim just called stevedave Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). can't wait to see sd's response to this. can't imagine that this will be received well.

:popcorn:

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »

wow, just wow...based on personal experience, i can safely say that any halfway normal/non Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) person can have kids and still excel in all areas mentioned above. so we're now apparently at a point in the thread where trim just called stevedave Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). can't wait to see sd's response to this. can't imagine that this will be received well.

Guess it would depend on how big a ball-breaker the spouse is....

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2010, 04:41:28 PM »

You're right.  I remember at VegasPak when I met sd over at the baggage claim when he got off his free flight and we talked about waiting to share a limo w/daris.  Wait, you didn't make that one.  Did we discuss this at all on podcast #5 at Big12TourneyPak?  Oh, yeah, sd was at that one too but you weren't.

Sounds like you excel at all that stuff so long as the pak takes place at your house.

I think we're at the point in the thread where Trim has called rd a total Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

:comehere:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2010, 04:48:42 PM »

You're right.  I remember at VegasPak when I met sd over at the baggage claim when he got off his free flight and we talked about waiting to share a limo w/daris.  Wait, you didn't make that one.  Did we discuss this at all on podcast #5 at Big12TourneyPak?  Oh, yeah, sd was at that one too but you weren't.

Sounds like you excel at all that stuff so long as the pak takes place at your house.

I think we're at the point in the thread where Trim has called rd a total Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

:comehere:

boom, roasted.  :frown:

The42Yardstick

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2010, 05:39:42 PM »
More evidence in favor of not having kids: SCIENCE.

That's right, science.

Think of who the most elite BBS'n posters are on this board.

steve dave
pissclams
The42Yardstick
Tannoudji*

What do they all have in common? NO CHILDREN. This is a clear correlation and as such has been passed into scientific law, AKA "The Principle of Human Reproduction and the Decline in BBS'n Skills." Look it up in your local biology book.

*Because there's no way in hell anyone has reproduced with that guy.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »
When's the best age to pop the babies out, 27? 30? I feel like you don't wanna have them too early cause you're way cooler when you're young. But if you wait too long you have a 6 year old when you're 64 and nobody wants that crap.

If you have 'em SD have don't have just one, only children are weird, plus if you have 2 the older one can just "parent" the lil one  :driving:
I'm purple down

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2010, 07:04:12 PM »
When's the best age to pop the babies out?

male, doesn't matter.  female, between 33 and 36.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2010, 10:00:07 PM »

Good "box to check"

That will eff with you really hard, bro.  No joke.

Not always true.  My 4yo son is exactly like me.  Walks in the house, kicks off the shoes, rips off the pants, and goes upstairs to take a crap.   My 16 month old daughter toddles in behind us and picks our shoes up and puts them in the closet.   For Christ’s sake, after you change her diaper, she will walk the pissy ones to throw them in the trash, and take the shitty ones to the garage and wait for you to open the door so she can put them outside.   I didn't teach her any of this crap.

It's like having a beautiful little live in made that you would literally kill someone for looking at the wrong way. 

If you do have kids though - be prepared for: Always having to be the one to initiate a night out with your friends, because once you have kids, they will not call your boring ass.   Kids are great though, they're little best friends that you have the most influence over.   My kids say the funniest rough ridin' crap and when they do, I just tell people I have no idea where they get it; but in truth totally primed them on the situation before hand.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2010, 10:06:20 PM »
but probably the best thing about having kids - showing off photos of them to people that have absolutely no interest in what your kids look like but you still have to do it anyway because you love your kids so damned much, or maybe you do it because you take joy in thinking about people rolling their eyes at how not special your kids are when you know your kids are rough ridin' awesome, or maybe you just like to type really long run on sentences.   

Oh yeah, and they're a great reason to take off work.   I'm off tomorrow 'cause the little one is getting tubes in her ears.

There I go again, telling people crap they don't care about because I think it should be important to everyone because of how great my kids are, but know that no one would really give a crap. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2010, 12:14:41 AM »
The thing is, all that stuff you're now worried about losing won't matter to you after you're older and have kids.  If you're single/younger/childless, Vegas is fun and Disney World sucks.  If you're married/older/have kids, Disney World is fun and Vegas sucks.  For example, rowdy keg parties were fun when I was 18, but not now.  I have no desire to go to one now.  Furthermore, rowdy keg parties just seem pretty stupid to me now.  Still, I can appreciate that they weren't stupid to me when I was 18 and be happy that I went to them back then.  But that clearly doesn't mean that I should continue to find them fun now.  So, tell me what it is that you're worried about losing by getting married or having kids or whatever.  Video games?  Beach vacations?  Sleeping late?  Whatever you say, I'll respond, "Why are you worried about losing that?  Ultimately, it's just stupid anyway."  Very few things in life are truly meaningful.  Raising kids seems like it would be meaningful if anything is.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2010, 04:05:16 AM »
The thing is, all that stuff you're now worried about losing won't matter to you after you're older and have kids.  If you're single/younger/childless, Vegas is fun and Disney World sucks.  If you're married/older/have kids, Disney World is fun and Vegas sucks.  For example, rowdy keg parties were fun when I was 18, but not now.  I have no desire to go to one now.  Furthermore, rowdy keg parties just seem pretty stupid to me now.  Still, I can appreciate that they weren't stupid to me when I was 18 and be happy that I went to them back then.  But that clearly doesn't mean that I should continue to find them fun now.  So, tell me what it is that you're worried about losing by getting married or having kids or whatever.  Video games?  Beach vacations?  Sleeping late?  Whatever you say, I'll respond, "Why are you worried about losing that?  Ultimately, it's just stupid anyway."  Very few things in life are truly meaningful.  Raising kids seems like it would be meaningful if anything is.

wow. 

being awake at 4:00 AM holding my crying daughter makes this sound stupid.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2010, 04:09:15 AM »
j/k  chums nailed it.    but it took me a full 5 minutes to admit that.

catzacker

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2010, 09:42:55 AM »
SD, my advice is to ask "why do I want kids"? It's a tough answer because they don't really serve a tangible purpose (we're not passing down kingdoms or supplying help for the family farm anymore and haven't for a long time).  Much like marriage, they are socially acceptable events in a life cylce (if not social "requirements").  Doesn't mean they aren't fun or aren't great, they just really don't serve a "tangible" purpose.  They can provide "meaning" as chum puts it, but so can a lot of other things.  And as RD suggests, you can ship them off to the grandparents for a week and take a vacation with your spouse...but that's just one week, what about the other 51 weeks? 

IMO, people that have kids are afraid to say that kids aren't the greatest thing ever because it somehow diminishes "life", when in fact it merely acknowledges that humans aren't super awesome every day of their lives. In my limited experience, kids are fun, tremendous fun, but they're also terrible, just fracking terrible sometimes.  You do begin to enjoy different things, but you're kind of forced to.  You can still have fun with your spouse or have time for yourself, just not as much as before.   Your experience, your perspective, your focus changes.  Not necessarily a bad thing, just a reality. A different reality than before.