Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 107838 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 08:29:47 AM »
Oh wow.  I guess you have to be named steve dave to get any helpful advice around here.  Thanks, dobber.

Hey mods, please change my name to steve dave. Thanks, in advance.

hopefully this helps. anything more would have required a work order to be filled out and saul is out of the office until next tuesday.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »
Doing your lawn yourself sounds like a lot of work. It would be nice to just put in turf.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2014, 08:33:28 AM »
Oh wow.  I guess you have to be named steve dave to get any helpful advice around here.  Thanks, dobber.

hopefully this helps. anything more would have required a work order to be filled out and saul is out of the office until next tuesday.

Thanks, RowdyBoyy.

I can feel the love and admiration of being a steve dave already.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2014, 08:34:07 AM »
if you've got tons of weeds/bare spots etc you'll have to kill it all in the fall, power rake, verticut and seed and water the crap out of it.  Starting over is hard and the watering is expensive but it can be done.

there are easy to follow seeding/fertilizing schedules to follow.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2014, 08:37:27 AM »
I really enjoy mowing. I've got a fairly big yard and Craftsman rider and I don't mind spending the hour a week riding and 15-30 mins trimming. But all this raking, verticut, seeding, fertilizing stuff sounds like it will take time away from other things I enjoy. Man. I just did a weed and feed treatment and will probably do another in a couple of weeks and see what happens. I'm sure it will need a lot of work in the fall.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2014, 08:39:05 AM »

Thanks, RowdyBoyy.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :Rusty:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2014, 08:39:18 AM »

If you are 33, I asked you a question and you did not respond. WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

Also, sd asked a super pud question. Lawn rennovation is something much more in depth. One of the answers could be: Hire somebody to sod it. Then water it! ADVICE GIVEN!

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2014, 08:41:16 AM »

If you are 33, I asked you a question and you did not respond. WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

St. Joseph MO

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2014, 08:42:26 AM »
I really enjoy mowing. I've got a fairly big yard and Craftsman rider and I don't mind spending the hour a week riding and 15-30 mins trimming. But all this raking, verticut, seeding, fertilizing stuff sounds like it will take time away from other things I enjoy. Man. I just did a weed and feed treatment and will probably do another in a couple of weeks and see what happens. I'm sure it will need a lot of work in the fall.

that's a lot of feed. also, did you really weed and feed two weeks ago or was it crabgrass preventer? also, maybe just spot spray.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2014, 08:43:03 AM »

Thanks, RowdyBoyy.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :Rusty:
Hey wait, watts going on here.  This must be a trick post, and somehow Dobber must be involved.  :horrorsurprise:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:21 AM »

that's a lot of feed. also, did you really weed and feed two weeks ago or was it crabgrass preventer? also, maybe just spot spray.

Yes (weed and feed). I read somewhere that is really the only thing you can do this time of year. :dunno:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2014, 08:45:21 AM »
getting new sod at the new house in like 3 weeks. what do I need to do to it?
Water it. Super easy!

is there a nationwide company for the fertilizing/aerating/etc. that I should use or is a local place better?
Don't hire a mow and blow guy to do your fertilizer and chemical work. As a general rule, they are not as compitent as a lawn care company. Local, regional, or national doesn't really matter. A company mentioned earlier might be big, but they suck in some areas and consistency is not their strong suit.

What I would do is keep my eyes open and see who the people with the best yards are using. Might be national, might be local. Tell them you want your grub treatment done in early July, regardless of what they say their schedule is. DO NOT LET THEM PUT IT OUT IN MAY! Also, I can tell you what product to use for best results, but that might be a conflict of interest. Just ask for the most tested and proven grub insecticide on the market.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2014, 08:48:01 AM »

Also, sd asked a super pud question. Lawn rennovation is something much more in depth. One of the answers could be: Hire somebody to sod it. Then water it! ADVICE GIVEN!

I live in Texas.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2014, 08:52:05 AM »

Yes (weed and feed). I read somewhere that is really the only thing you can do this time of year. :dunno:

i'm far from an expert but if you already did a weed and feed granule then i would just get a weed killer spray of some sort and then wait a couple of days after a mowning (easier to tell the weeds from the grass) and walk around your yard spraying everything that looks like a weed. wait a week and then do it again. i'm not sure i'd use a weed and feed granule and then turn around and use it again in a couple of weeks. seems like feed over kill. dunno. again, i'm not an expert.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2014, 08:57:57 AM »
i'm far from an expert but if you already did a weed and feed granule then i would just get a weed killer spray of some sort and then wait a couple of days after a mowning (easier to tell the weeds from the grass) and walk around your yard spraying everything that looks like a weed. wait a week and then do it again. i'm not sure i'd use a weed and feed granule and then turn around and use it again in a couple of weeks. seems like feed over kill. dunno. again, i'm not an expert.

I read some stuff on websites and it seems to be backed up by CNS here:

Too late for prevent, we are in weed and feed mode.  Depending on brand, it is suggested that you do 2-4 weed and feeds before moving on to the next step which usually starts in late may to mid june, iirc.

Other gE lawn experts, can you verify? Or is there conflicting information out there? (live in Kansas FWIW)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2014, 08:59:40 AM »
After weed and feed I like to walk around and spot treat the weeds with a spray.  Might have to hit some stuff twice but it works.  :dunno:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »
After weed and feed I like to walk around and spot treat the weeds with a spray.  Might have to hit some stuff twice but it works.  :dunno:

i don't even weed and feed. i just crabgrass and then spot spray but yeah, same thought process. laying down multiple applications of granule weed and feed seems bizarre and unnecessary. again, not an expert.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2014, 09:04:27 AM »
getting new sod at the new house in like 3 weeks. what do I need to do to it?

Spray paint that crap emerald green and chill all summer by the pool.

Offline yoEMAW

• The Engineer
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2014, 09:06:57 AM »
I don't spot treat.  I should, but I honestly don't need a lawn that looks like a Scotts commercial.  I only know what I know because my last house had nothing but clay and I fought that thing tooth and nail for years just to establish something other than packed dirt and my new house had lost half it's lawn from neglect after old d00d died. 

Anyway, The weed and feed schedule is going to be dictated by the brand.  I used Scotts last and they recommend three weed and feeds at 4 weeks apart, iirc.  They basically state that it takes three to fully kill everything but that you will get some results with just one.  I am also not an expert, just regurgitating what I have read and practiced.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »

St. Joseph MO
Go buy a crabgrass preventer today. Something with pendemethulum (sp?) in it, like Scotts brand Haltz. Get it spread.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »

I live in Texas.
Too late for crabgrass preventer to do a great job, but will still help some. I will look to see what your other question may have been.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2014, 09:09:23 AM »
Look at that, Kstate U is lawn advice world champs.  #titlelawn

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2014, 09:12:05 AM »

I read some stuff on websites and it seems to be backed up by CNS here:

Too late for prevent, we are in weed and feed mode.  Depending on brand, it is suggested that you do 2-4 weed and feeds before moving on to the next step which usually starts in late may to mid june, iirc.

Other gE lawn experts, can you verify? Or is there conflicting information out there? (live in Kansas FWIW)
You will not control all of your crabgrass with a crabgrass preventer at this time of year. Some has already germinated and sprouted. It looks like a very small mouse ear in your lawn, might be underneath the thatch layer. It will control later to emerge crabgrass over the next few weeks. I split shot my crabgrass preventer to give me extended residual. I put a half rate out about 3-4 weeks apart. I don't do a lot for winter annual broadleaf weeds, since they don't really cause that much of a problem.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2014, 09:12:55 AM »

i don't even weed and feed. i just crabgrass and then spot spray but yeah, same thought process. laying down multiple applications of granule weed and feed seems bizarre and unnecessary. again, not an expert.
Mulitple small apps of feed, one app of weed.