Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141328 times)

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »
I enjoy it.  No music, though.  Also can't do treadmills.  Outdoor running.  Furthest is somewhere around 13 miles in high school cross country.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »
No music, though.

any reason? love having tunes on my runs.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 11:56:49 AM »
I like getting in "a zone" or whatever you want to call it.  Where you hit that perfect pace.  I think hearing your footsteps helps you keep that pace.  When I listen to music, one, it's not comfortable to me to have buds in my ears, and two, the music can kind of dictate your pace, which can mess up your run.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »
hey SB how has your having-to-poop midway through the run been? man there's been some really close calls for me. most annoying thing about running, imo.

I always clean the pipes beforehand. :dunno:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:07:04 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 12:40:53 PM »
love going for runs. try going for a run and then being pissed in the 3 or 4 hours after. you cant. it makes you feel so happy. love it.

never pooped mid run though. sounds like you have ibs, 'blast. t's and p's.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 12:51:41 PM »
Started running a lot more in the last year or so.  I've gotten to the point where I legitimately enjoy it, which is a pretty cool thing.  I'm also slow, and I still don't go on any crazy long treks like 10 miles or anything, but I usually get somewhere between 3-5 miles on most runs. 

I'm currently struggling with running in the cold though.  I don't have the appropriate gear for that sort of thing.  Hoping to acquire it soon (maybe Christmas!  :pray:).  Any tips on the best equipment? 

'blast, one time I had to stop at Union Station because I had to poop mid run.  True story.  It was weird at first but I felt so much better after doing it and guess what? I ran even faster than before!   :eye:
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 01:01:45 PM »
'blast, one time I had to stop at Union Station because I had to poop mid run.  True story.  It was weird at first but I felt so much better after doing it and guess what? I ran even faster than before!   :eye:

yeah feels much better after! about 80% i'm fine with no issues, and it's rarely an emergency. had one last week tho. let's just say i hope no one decides to take a seat in a certain spot under a big tree in loose park any time soon. :embarrassed:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 01:02:47 PM »

maybe you're just really backed up. try drinking some more water throughout the day or something.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »

maybe you're just really backed up. try drinking some more water throughout the day or something.

don't try and talk to me about poops, mr I poop in public parks where kids play because I have a chronic pooping disorder pants! :don'tcare:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »
Started running a lot more in the last year or so.  I've gotten to the point where I legitimately enjoy it, which is a pretty cool thing.  I'm also slow, and I still don't go on any crazy long treks like 10 miles or anything, but I usually get somewhere between 3-5 miles on most runs. 

I'm currently struggling with running in the cold though.  I don't have the appropriate gear for that sort of thing.  Hoping to acquire it soon (maybe Christmas!  :pray:).  Any tips on the best equipment? 

You really shouldn't run more than 3-5 miles in a single workout, anyways.  Any more than that is really tough on your body.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »

You really shouldn't run more than 3-5 miles in a single workout, anyways.  Any more than that is really tough on your body.

:D
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »
Outdoor runners, what the eff is this bullshit about getting into a zone when I know you have to stop at a bunch of corners and intersections?  This is what I hate about outdoor running.  Used to do it a little in the summers during HS, but had a 2 mile strip where I never had to cross traffic and had very little traffic to worry about. 

you guys mostly trails or something?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 02:20:42 PM »
I hit the 'mill pretty much any time I can simply because it keeps me on pace and I can watch TV. also in Kansas its too hot or too cold for running 75% of the time.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
Ran a 5k in KC on Thanksgiving, forget the official name of it.  Went through Janssen Place. Really cool area.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »
I enjoy a run every once in a while and it does help to clear your head.. running at night is my favorite

Offline JohnCurrie is Weird/Gross

• Combo-Fan
  • Miss You Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
I ran the KC marathon 3 years ago without training at all. It was one of the worst days of my life and my toenail fell off. Got a boss medal though.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 02:57:22 PM »
I run a lot. I'm training for my fourth marathon. I use heart rate based training and take it easy most of the time.

Winter clothing... Wicking base layer. Windproof jacket and gloves. I have a couple different running tights depending on how cold it is.

Fastest mile mile was 5:05 long ago. I can run it in 6:30ish today with fresh legs.

3-5 miles is bad for ya? You probably think women shouldn't run because their uterus will be dislodged.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 02:57:48 PM »
Ran a 5k in KC on Thanksgiving, forget the official name of it.  Went through Janssen Place. Really cool area.

Confirmed.  Love the old money houses in that part of town.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 02:58:21 PM »
I also had no clue emawblast was toby flenderson

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
I run a lot. I'm training for my fourth marathon. I use heart rate based training and take it easy most of the time.

Winter clothing... Wicking base layer. Windproof jacket and gloves. I have a couple different running tights depending on how cold it is.

Fastest mile mile was 5:05 long ago. I can run it in 6:30ish today with fresh legs.

3-5 miles is bad for ya? You probably think women shouldn't run because their uterus will be dislodged.

EWWWWW

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 03:02:12 PM »
love going for runs. try going for a run and then being pissed in the 3 or 4 hours after. you cant. it makes you feel so happy. love it.

Knocked out two miles over lunch today. Was very tempted to take a 30 minute power nap instead, but am glad I made myself run. Much more refreshing than a nap.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2013, 03:02:54 PM »
Much more refreshing than a nap.

yeah, weird/cool how that works

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2013, 03:10:07 PM »
Much more refreshing than a nap.

yeah, weird/cool how that works
I always feel so much better throughout the day after a great run.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2013, 03:13:10 PM »
i have been having a secret fantasy for awhile now about waking up early before work and running a mile or two.

i'm sure it will never be realized.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »
Outdoor runners, what the eff is this bullshit about getting into a zone when I know you have to stop at a bunch of corners and intersections?  This is what I hate about outdoor running.  Used to do it a little in the summers during HS, but had a 2 mile strip where I never had to cross traffic and had very little traffic to worry about. 

you guys mostly trails or something?
I live right on the edge of the city.  If I head west/north, it's some country road.