Author Topic: The Future  (Read 58593 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #425 on: January 09, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
Does time even exist?

hard to tell what us humans have hallucinated and what we haven't at this point.
Yes, it is.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 09, 2017, 10:59:56 AM »
I believe there is a more authoritative plane where time is more physical in nature and not as uncontrolled linear change as we experience.  I believe in that plane,  time is kind of like how space is for us, it goes infinitely in all directions where there is not real beginning or end. 
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 09, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »
I don't think time can be anything but linear and uncontrollable. 

I also don't think space/the uni are infinite.  I get that math and what not lean on that right now, but I think we just don't know the necessary physics to understand any different now.  I mean, infinity exists in math, but I don't think it possible to exist in reality in any other way.  We are just too small, and unknowing, to see space as anything but infinite, I bet.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 09, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 09, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »
Time is a flat circle.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 09, 2017, 02:08:30 PM »
I don't think time can be anything but linear and uncontrollable. 

I also don't think space/the uni are infinite.  I get that math and what not lean on that right now, but I think we just don't know the necessary physics to understand any different now.  I mean, infinity exists in math, but I don't think it possible to exist in reality in any other way.  We are just too small, and unknowing, to see space as anything but infinite, I bet.
So you think we're essentially in a really big bottle?  Could be true.  But for me,  it's easier to think space goes on infinitely than it is for me to think time has gone back infinitely.  I mean,  I can't really wrap my head around something/anything being here forever.  Whether someone talks w/ religious ideology or strictly secular beliefs, the whole negative infinity timeline just gets glossed over.  To me,  the thought of the universe simply "always being here"  or God "always being here" is incredibly difficult to comprehend.

In our dimension time is obviously somewhat linear.  Although we know it can be manipulated.  I simply believe anther dimension exists where it can be completely manipulated,  so there really is no beginning or end to time.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 09, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »
I may be wrong, and maybe some physicscats can set me straight, but we can only manipulate time relatively, in how it is experienced from a point perspective by means of gravity(and probably speed or something).  To me, that doesn't mean we are manipulating time, just your perspective of it.

Also, infinity seems lazy to me as an explanation of anything outside of math itself.

Again, I think we are too small, or it's too big, to understand it at this point.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 09, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
If space isn't infinite, then what do you imagine you would find at the end of it?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 09, 2017, 03:01:33 PM »
I may be wrong, and maybe some physicscats can set me straight, but we can only manipulate time relatively, in how it is experienced from a point perspective by means of gravity(and probably speed or something).  To me, that doesn't mean we are manipulating time, just your perspective of it.

Also, infinity seems lazy to me as an explanation of anything outside of math itself.

Again, I think we are too small, or it's too big, to understand it at this point.
Correct,  time can be manipulated by an objects perspective,  but does that cheapen the effect. I mean,  in a planet of the apes (the original)  sense,  how mind blowing is it that one person could live a few years while people from the place the traveler left are experiencing time much much faster. That's some crazy crap.   

Time is actually a very difficult concept to define even by the world's smartest physicists.  For instance,  is time independent of change or simply a measure of change? Example,  if everything in the universe simply froze,  does time continue on?  Obviously,  our perception of time would stop and we wouldn't know anything happened if it simply started back up.  We would be none the wiser.  But if time is linear and independent of change,  then time continued on during the freeze.  But if time did continue on,  what is time actually? When you attempt to explain it scientifically,  it's very difficult.  I watched a show where they were interviewing the physics whiz bangs and they really don't know what to say about it. At least not as a concensus.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 09, 2017, 03:05:04 PM »
If space isn't infinite, then what do you imagine you would find at the end of it?
I don't agree with his assessment of finite space,  but I do think there are limits to the contents of the universe.  But there is no boundary IMO.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 09, 2017, 03:10:08 PM »

The universe is finite but it is expanding at a rate much greater than we would ever be able to travel therefore we could never reach the edge.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 09, 2017, 03:11:58 PM »

The universe is finite but it is expanding at a rate much greater than we would ever be able to travel therefore we could never reach the edge.

What is it expanding into?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 09, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »

Nothing

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 09, 2017, 03:14:44 PM »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 09, 2017, 03:14:54 PM »

Nothing

So space, then?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 09, 2017, 03:19:58 PM »

Correct,  time can be manipulated by an objects perspective,  but does that cheapen the effect. I mean,  in a planet of the apes (the original)  sense,  how mind blowing is it that one person could live a few years while people from the place the traveler left are experiencing time much much faster. That's some crazy crap.   

Time is actually a very difficult concept to define even by the world's smartest physicists.  For instance,  is time independent of change or simply a measure of change? Example,  if everything in the universe simply froze,  does time continue on?  Obviously,  our perception of time would stop and we wouldn't know anything happened if it simply started back up.  We would be none the wiser.  But if time is linear and independent of change,  then time continued on during the freeze.  But if time did continue on,  what is time actually? When you attempt to explain it scientifically,  it's very difficult.  I watched a show where they were interviewing the physics whiz bangs and they really don't know what to say about it. At least not as a concensus.

The answer to that mindfuck is "It doesn't matter", I think.  :dunno:

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 09, 2017, 03:24:14 PM »
What holds the nothing?  More nothing?  That just seems silly, imo.  No offense to anyone. 

I am not a religious person, but the finite/infinite thing is the boundary of science and religion, imo.

I have no clue, but the idea that there is an endless nothing is weird.  I mean, to a fly, KS probably feels infinite.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 09, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »

I get your point to a degree,  but time is undeniably the most valuable of commodities in existence.  Defining it is pretty important.  Consider gravity,  we have theories to what it actually is (the stretching of the fabric of space rough ridin' stretching space's "fabric"  wtf! it is critical to the world we live in by virtual any measure.  Time is equally,  if not more,  important. 

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 09, 2017, 03:32:48 PM »

I get your point to a degree,  but time is undeniably the most valuable of commodities in existence.  Defining it is pretty important.  Consider gravity,  we have theories to what it actually is (the stretching of the fabric of space rough ridin' stretching space's "fabric"  wtf! it is critical to the world we live in by virtual any measure.  Time is equally,  if not more,  important.

I am about to get super The Big Trainy here, but I skimmed an article a few months ago on IFLS that said they think they have identified two more fundamental forces and that they think gravity may soon be ousted as a fundamental force and that the combo of these two new forces are effecting what we experience as gravity.   I should probably actually read the rest of the article, but thought I would wait until they played around with it a little more so that this isn't a "we found particles moving faster than light so watch out Sirr Parker because we are coming for your early season 1998 ass" moment.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 09, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »
Post it in the science article thread if you find it.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 09, 2017, 05:42:50 PM »
time isn't a thing, its a concept we invented in order to describe the world around us, like numbers.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 09, 2017, 05:49:35 PM »
Oh, numbers are definitely things.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 09, 2017, 05:53:41 PM »
Numbers are made up, dunce.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 09, 2017, 05:58:03 PM »
They have properties independent of thought. I suppose time does, too.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 09, 2017, 06:09:10 PM »
They have properties independent of thought. I suppose time does, too.
Do they?